PROFILE OF DR DEEPRAJ BHANDARKAR
Check out www.laparoscopyindia.com - an extensive patient information resource on minimal access surgery.
Dr Deepraj Bhandarkar is a Laparoscopic, Thoracoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon at Hinduja Hospital, Hinduja Healthcare Surgical, Breach Candy Hospital and Dalvi Hospital in Mumbai. He is a pioneer in the field of single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) - an advance in which surgery is performed using just one small cut instead of three or four cuts. SILS can be used for cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder), appendicectomy (removal of appendix), ovarian cystectomy and oophorectomy (removal of ovarian cyst or ovary), removal of small intestine and many other procedures.
Dr Bhandarkar completed his undergraduate studies from Grant Medical College (1981 - 1987) and surgical residency from J. J. Hospital, Mumbai (1988 - 1991). In 1990, during his residency, Dr Bhandarkar participated in the first-ever laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) performed in India and since then developed a keen interest in this upcoming specialty. Subsequent to his residency in India he obtained extensive training in laparoscopic and gastrointestinal surgery in England from 1992 to 1997. In 1997, he was awarded the prestigious "Travelling Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow" to visit the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia and train further in advanced laparoscopic surgery. The same year he also obtained the Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery from University of Strasbourg, France.
He returned to India in 1997 and over the last 15 years has developed a practice exclusively dedicated to laparoscopic and thoracoscopic surgery. Since the last few years he has added thoracoscopic surgery and (weight loss (bariatric) surgery to his interests.
Considered a national expert in the field, Dr Bhandarkar routinely performs the following operations:
- Single incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstones
- Single incision laparoscopic appendicectomy for appendicitis
- Single incision laparoscopic oophorectomy (removal of ovaries)
- Single incision laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy (removal of ovarian cyst)
- Laparoscopic adhesiolysis for adhesions
- Laparoscopic lymph node biopsy
- Laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernia
- Laparoscopic repair of incisional hernia
- Laparoscopic repair of paraumbilical hernia
- Laparoscopic repair of hiatus hernia
- Laparoscopic fundoplication for GERD
- Laparoscopic cardiomyotomy for achalasia cardia
- Laparoscopic treatment of liver cysts
- Laparoscopic therapy for pancreatic pseudocyst
- Laparoscopic surgery for diseases of small & large intestine
- Laparoscopic rectopexy for rectal prolpase
- Laparoscopic splenectomy
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
THORACOSCOPIC (CHEST ENDOSCOPY) SURGERY
- Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for sweaty palms or hyperhidrosis - Thoracosocpic lymph node biopsy
- Thoracoscopic treatment of empyema
- Thoracoscopic resection of emphysematous bulla
- Thoracoscopic pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusions
- Thoracoscopic pericardial window
- Thoracoscopic thymectomy
- Thoracoscopic excision of mediastinal masses
BARIATRIC (OBESITY) SURGERY
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric bypass
Dr Bhandarkar is active in various National surgical associations. He is currently the Vice President (West Zone) of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons.
He is affiliated to several National as well as International professional organizations including
- Indian Medical Association
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Association of Colon Rectal Surgeons of India
- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India
- National Academy of Medical Sciences
- Indian Chapter of IHPBA
- Hernia Society of India
- Obesity Surgery Society of India
- Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia
- Asia Pacific Hernia Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Gastroenterology
- International College of Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- European Association of Transluminal Surgery
- European Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Being a keen academic, he has to his credit over seventy five publications and has given more than two hundred and seventy five presentations and invited lectures at National and International conferences. He has authored a book titled - A primer of laparoscopic surgery. He has been the past Associate Editor of Indian Journal of Surgery and is currently the Editor of Journal of Minimal Access Surgery. In 2011 he was invited to become a Faculty Director at Center of Excellence for Minimal Access Surgery Training (CEMAST) in Mumbai which is a world-class training center for surgeons.
Dr Bhandarkar firmly believes that the benefits of laparoscopic, thoracoscopic and bariatric surgery should be passed on to one and all irrespective of the socioeconomic status. He thus strives to make his services and expertise available to patients from all strata of the society and from across the country.
Hinduja Hospital, Mahim: (022) 39818181
Hinduja Healthcare Surgical Hospital, Khar: (022) 30918989
Minimal Access Surgery Clinic, Kemps Corner: (022) 23826288
He can be reached at deeprajbhandarkar[at]hotmail.com and is happy to respond to queries related to laparoscopic surgery.
[ Laparoscopic Surgery ]
022-39818181, 30918989, 23826288