Animal Class >> Birds
Ostrich are World’s largest species of birds and are farmed in many areas of the world. Ostrich is a flightless bird and has long neck & legs. They have an ability to run at a speed of 45 miles per hour (70 km. per hour). They roam African savanna and desert lands and get most of their water from the plants they eat. They lack teeths, they swallow pebbles which help in grinding the food in the stomach. An adult ostrich can carry 1 kg. stones in its stomach. They have very acute sense of sight and hearing, they can sense the predator from far away.
Facts about Ostrich
- They weigh from 93 to 130 kg (200 to 285 pounds), although some male ostriches have been recorded with weights of up to 155 kg (340 pounds).
- The feathers of adult males are mostly black, with some white on the wings and tail.Females and young males are greyish-brown and white.
- The feathers are soft and serve as insulation, and are quite different from feathers of flying birds.
- They have two long legs. An ostrich's powerful, long legs can cover 10 to 16 feet (3 to 5 meters) in a single stride. These legs can also be formidable weapons. Ostrich kicks can kill a human or a potential predator like a lion.
- Its two-toed foot has a long, sharp claw.
- Male Ostriches can be between 1.8 m and 2.7 m (6 feet and 9 feet) in height, while female Ostriches range from 1.7 m to 2 m (5.5 ft to 6.5 ft), relative to a 6-ft (2-m) man.
- An Ostrich can live up to 75 years.
- It grows about 25 cm (10 inches) per month during the first year of life.
- At one year, ostriches weigh around 45 kg (100 pounds).
- They live in small herds that typically contain less than a dozen birds. Alpha males maintain these herds, and mate with the group's dominant hen.
- All of the group's hens place their eggs in the dominant hen's nest—though her own are given the prominent center place.
- Female and male incubates the giant eggs, each one of egg weighs as much as 1.3 kg (two dozen chicken eggs). Female incubates the eggs in day and male incubates the eggs in night.
- An average egg length is 15 cm (6 inches), width is 13 cm (5 inches), and weigh is 1.4 kg (3 pounds), can feed about 13 people.
- They are omnivore; eat plants, roots, seeds, insects, lizards, or other creatures.
- The average life span of ostrich is 30 to 70 years.
- Ostrich eye is almost 2 inches large, largest eye of any land animal.
- Ostriches cannot fly but they can run fastly, they are the second fastest animal in the world. They can run at 45 miles per hour (70 km. per hour) and can maintain this speed for at least 30 minutes.
- Their skeletons and fossils have been found which date back over 120 million years; ostriches are a true dinosaur.
- Ostriches produce the strongest commercially available leather in the world and some of the most beautiful feathers.
- Ostrich meat is a red meat and is very low in cholesterol, calories and is almost fat free. Ostrich meat resembles beef in its appearance and is cooked almost the same way. Ostrich meat tastes just like... well, it tastes just like ostrich meat.