Delhi Sports Facilities
Built for the 10th asiad held in 1982. The best known are the Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium with a seating capacity of 75000, the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium (capacity 25000), the Yamuna Velodrome (capacity 2250), the Talkotra Indoor Stadium and the Tughtaqabad Shooting Range.
Sports & Recreation
From time immemorial Delhi has attracted people with a penchant for adventure for which Delhi Tourism now provides avenues.
- Equipment and training is provided to aspiring rock climbers in and around Delhi from October to March. Trekking
- India is the ultimate destination for a trekking holiday, offering everything from short and easy excursions that kids can handle to the long challenges of the snowy peaks. To take a trek in India is to rediscover the awesome majesty and beauty of nature around us. Trekkers are reminded that it is forbidden to enter Restricted and Protected Areas without the correct documentation. Please consult the Tourist Office before departure or local tourist offices on arrival in India to ascertain what restrictions may apply and what documentation may be required. Delhi Tourism's infrastructural network and trained outdoor staff help you to choose from the endless trekking options India offers - ranging from some of the world's highest mountains, greatest deserts, rivers, lakes, sea beaches and rain forests.The trekking season varies from region to region; check with the Tourist Office for further information. In general, the season runs from April to June and September to November. Water Sports
- A multi-sports and leisure complex has been created by Delhi Tourism at Bhalswa Lake, situated at Delhi's northeastern edge. This offers facilities for boating in pedal boats, kayaks, canoes and speed boats. Keen anglers can also indulge in fishing. Hovercraft and water scooters have been introduced for the first time in Delhi at this lake. Pedal boats at reasonable rates are available at the Hari Nagar, India Gate, Purana Qila, Prasad Nagar and Naini Lakes. Special training programmes in Kayaking and canoeing are organised at Prasad Nagar Lake and Naini Lake. Parasailing
- For the truly adventurous, parasailing is available at Kanwar Shikha near Sohna in Haryana, about 60 kms from Delhi. Soar like an eagle under the watchful eyes of professional instructors. Adventure Club
- Open to all Indian national above the age of ten years, this club promotes adventure activities. The club provides special packages in all adventure activities - parasailing, mountain expeditions, trekking, rock climbing, adventure camps and water sports, including river rafting in the Ganga. Delhi Tourism has also established a water sports club. Ballooning
What better experience could you offer your kids and what a brilliant way to escape the throng of humanity that is ever present on the ground? The Balloon Club of India on 8-B, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg is a wonderful way to view the surrounding area. Balloons generally hold from one to ten people and can rise to heights of over 800 feet. THe other place to contact regarding this sport is Wanderlust located opposite the Hyatt Regency, New Delhi. Bike Safaris
are an excellent way to discover Delhi and its surrounds and a good way to keep burn your kid's energy. Bungee Jumping Wanderlust Travels
has set up a mobile crane for bungee jumping in Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. This is a great activity for those brave folk out there. If you are not up to it yourself, you can get some photos of those who are mad enough to give it a go. Fishing
This is a wonderfully relaxing pastime and if you enjoy this sport or want to try your hand at it, pop down to the Badhkal Lake, Surajkund, Okhla located on Mathura Road (closed on Mondays). Fun "n" Food Village
presents reflections of past traditions and is an attempt to promote Indian culture and traditional arts and crafts. It offers variety of amusement rides catering to all age groups and provides an opportunity to meet artisans and craftsmen who display their talents and exhibit their creations before the public. There is also an open-air Theatre, amusement rides and an animal parade worth seeing. Open everyday, seven day's a week. The Fun "n" Food Village has free entry to blind, physically handicapped children and senior citizens. All other visitors pay a minimal fee for entry. Ice Games
Appu Ghar has now introduced ice games at Oysters, where four acres of the Water Park are blanketed with ice for winter sports. These include sledding, skiing, ice boating, where one can row through a river full of icebergs and go bowling on ice. Amusements for the grown ups are also available over here such as Rain Dance, Ice Dance all to the tune of fast music and according to the seasons in Delhi. This water park is the best place to cool down the sultry summer heat. Entry to the park is from Gate No. 4 at Pragati Maidan and you can visit the park on Mondays to Saturdays from 1.30 to 9.30pm and on Sundays from Noon to 9.30pm. Water Sports
A multi-sports and leisure complex has been created by Delhi Tourism at Bhalswa Lake, situated at Delhi's north-eastern edge. This offers facilities for boating in pedal boats, kayaks, canoes and speed boats. Keen anglers can also indulge in fishing. Hovercraft and water scooters are also available here. Pedal boats at reasonable rates are available at the Hari Nagar, India Gate, Purana Quila and Naini lakes. Special training programmes in kayaking and canoeing are organised at all the lakes. Call the Tourist Department for more information. White Water Rafting
or River Running is a fairly young sport in India and is really only safe for the bigger kids among you. The snow-fed mountain rivers that run down from the mighty Himalayas make northern India one of the best regions in the world for this sport.
Some adventure activities organized by Delhi Tourism & Transportation Development Corporation are :
Rock climbing is organised at Lado Sarai near Qutab Minar.
Para Sailing on special demand is done at Dhauj in Haryana.
Cycle Tours : The forest around the rock climbing area can be explored on bycycles and walking towards of the Mehrauli Woodland are an eye opener as the entire area has a large number of monuments dating back some eight to nine century.
ADVENTURE SPORTS Delhi Tourism
Adventure Tourism Division, Coffee Home Annexe, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Ph.: 3363607 Kayaking & Canoeing; Hovercraft, Motorboat, Waterscooter Rides, Pedal Boating, Roving Boats at Bhaleswa lake, Timings: 10 am to 6 pm. daily. Parasailing including training at Sohna, Haryana. BALOONING
The Balooning Club of India
8-B, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, Ph.: 3317977 BOATING
Badhkal Lake & Surajkund Lake Haryana Tourism, 3324910 Defence Service Sailing Club, Okhla
BOWLING First Bowl
32, Milestones Complex, Delhi-Jaipur Bypass, Gurgaon Ph: 8-322528 Leisure Bowl
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, Vasant Kunj, Ph.: 6895247, 6894229
12/7, Mathura Road, Faridabad, Ph.: 8-278469 Qutabowl
Qutab Hotel, Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg, Ph.: 6862711
CYCLING Yamuna Velodrome
Indraprastha Estate, Ph.: 3731613
FISHING Badhkal Lake Surajkund Okhla
Delhi-Mathura Road, Mon. closed
FLYING Delhi Flying Club
Safdarjung airport, Ph.: 4618271/4699596
GLIDING Delhi Gliding Club
Safdarjung airport, Ph.: 4636052, Timings: daily 1 pm till sunset except wednesday.
GOLF Army Golf Club
Delhi Cantt. Delhi Golf Club
Dr. Zakir Hussain Marg, Ph.: 4362768 DDA Siri Fort Sports Complex
Ph.: 6467842 Noida Golf Club
Ph.: 8572753 Arawali Golf Club
Surajkund Tourist Complex, Hotel Raj Hans Faridabad Golf Club
MOUNTAINEERING Indian Mountaineering Federation
Benito Juarez Marg, Ph.: 4677935
Rallying - Performance Car Racing Trust
147, Kilokari, Ring Road, Ph.: 6835258 Vintage Car
Statesman House, 148, Barakhamba Road, Ph.: 3315911-17
POLO Polo Club
61, Cavalry Cariappa Marg, Delhi Cantt.,
Ph.: 3299444/777 (Polo Season Oct. to March)
RIDING Delhi Riding Club
Safdarjung Rd., Ph.: 3011891 Children's Riding Club
Defence Service Sailing Club
Ph.: 3019604 Okhla
Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range
Surajkund Road, Ph.: 6986802.
At all DDA Sports Complexes and Clubs
All deluxe and luxury hotels. Talkatora Pool
Ph.: 3019901 National Stadium Complex
Opp. India Gate, near Patiala house, Ph.: 3389470
Nehru Park, Laxmi Bai Ngr. School and Sarojini Ngr.
TENNIS Delhi Tennis Association
Africa Avenue, Ph.: 6515899 Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
Bhishama Pitamah Road, Ph.: 4629400 National Sports Club of India
Opp. Purana Qila, Mathu Delhi Tourism
N-36 Bombay Life Building, Middle Circle, Connaught Place Ph. 011/331 4229.