Home >> India Information >> Jammu and Kashmir
Login
|
 Register Now 

 Jammu & Kashmir

  Jammu & Kashmir
  Jammu
  Districts
 - Anantnag
 - Baramulla
 - Budgam
 - Doda
 - Jammu
 - Kargil
 - Kathua
 - Leh
 - Pulwama
 - Poonch
 - Rajouri
 - Srinagar
 - Udhampur
  Art & Culture
  Map of J & K
  Fairs and festivals
  Flowers
  Wildlife

Pulwama district

Introduction

Carved out of Anantnag district, the Pulwama district came into being in 1979.The district,situated 32 Kms.from Srinagar in south Kashmir,is surrounded in the north by Srinagar,in the west by Poonch and Budgam and in the east by Anantnag. The total geographical area of the district is 1398 Sq.Kms.of which 1011 Sq.Kms are covered by forests. The district divided into four tehsils, six community development blocks,six notified area committees and 554 vilages. The total population in the district according to 1991-census at present is 5.16 (1995-96). The literacy rate in the district is 22%. Majority of the population i.e 88% speak Kashmiri language while the rest speak Phari and Gujri. Agriculture is the main occupation of the people with a small number rare cattle for livelihood. The main crops in the district include Paddy,Maize, Mustard and Pulses. Fodder is also cultivated in the winter. The world famous saffron fields adorn the district and the cherished apple,Ambree,is also grown here.

Pulwama District at a glance :
Educational Institutions 756
Health Institutions 189
Road length 810 Kms
Area 1370 sq. kms
Population 5.16 lakhs(1991)
Villages 554
Tehsil 4
Town area Committes 6
Blocks 6
Area Under Agriculture 77000 hect.
Area under Horticulture 10140 hect
Forests 1011 sqkm
Villages electrified 551
Villages with drinking water 545
Literacy rate 22 %
Bank Branches 45
Principal Crop Paddy, Maize, oil seeds

Historical Places and Monuments

The Avantishwar Temple

The Awantishwar temple at Jawbrari is the significant monuments present in the district. The temple was built by Raja AwantiVarma in the 9th Century A.D when he chose as his capital instead of Srinagar.

The Payer Temple


Payer temple is situated about 3 Kms in the south of Pulwama district. The temple is known after the village,Payer, where it is situated. Vigne, Cunningham and some other travellers call it Payech temple.

Asar Sharief Pintoora
The shrine is the most revered religious place in the district situated 12 Kms. from Pulwama. The shirne houses the holy relic of Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) which is displayed on special occasions associated with the life of the Prophet(PBUH).

The shrine of Shah Hamdan
Situated in Tral town, the shrine is believed to have been built by Mir Syed Ali Hamdani. People in large numbers throng the shrine on annual festivals associated with the saint.

Jama Masjid Shopian
The mosque is said to have been built during the Mughal period. Shopian was an important stopover on the Mughal road across the Pir Panjal used by the Mughals to visit Kashmir. The other important muslim shrines are situated at Awantipora and Pampore. These are the shrines of Syed Hussan Mantaqui,Mir Mohammad Hamdani and Namat Ullah Shog Baba Sahab.

Tourist Places

The Pulwama district has some beautiful tourist spots,the famous among which are:

Aharbal
The Place,35 Kms.from Shopian,is famous for an impressive waterfall formed by river Vishav falling from a height of 24.4 meters. The place is surrounded by Fir forests.

Kungwattan
A charming meadow 8 kms from aharbal. There is no motorable road to the meadow. However,ponies can be hired to reach the place.

Nagberan
Situated about 2 Kms from the town of Tral, Nagberan is a place of scenic beauty visited by the lovers of nature.

Shikargah
Developed as an attractive tourist spot,Shikargah is situated about 3 Kms from Tral. The place was visited by Maharaja Hari Singh for game purposes.

Hurpora
About 12 Kms.from Shopian,hurpora commands a beautiful scenic view.The place is situated on the historical Mughal Road and is accessible by a car or a bus.

Tarsar Marsar
There is only one lake in the district viz Tarsar Marsar. The lake is situated in the high mountains about 25 Kms from the town of Tral.