Betul is one of the marginally located southern districts of Madhya Pradesh, lying almost wholly on the Satpura plateau. It occupies nearly the whole width of the satpura range between the valley of the narmada on the north and the bearer plains on the south. It forms the southernmost part of Bhopal commissioners Division.The district derives its name from the small town of Betul Bazar about 5Km. south of Badnur, the Headquarters of district. During the Maratha regime as also in the beginning of the British rule, Betul or Betul Bazar was the district Headquarters. Betul is a one of the tribal population districts of M.P. This district comes under satpuda plateau and Jawar & Wheat crop zone from the point of view of agriculture climate. Geographical area is 1007.8 thousand hec. out of which 416.7 thousand hec. land is under cultivation. The Northern part of the district has a touch of Bundelkhandi language and culture. The Southern belt of the district has overtone of Marathi Language and Maharashtrian culture. The rest of the district is predominantly tribal, populated by the Gonds and Korkus. There are some institution for classical Music like, Bhatkhande sangeet college at Betul. With abundant Food - Grain production & extensive coverage of forest wended with good Road & Rail Network, better Telecomm facilities in Betul is praised to become an industrial advanced district.
381.1 thousand hectares is under Kharif and 120.3 thousand hectares under Rabi. There are nearly 1.76 lakh agricultural families in the district. Crop density is 127%. Irrigation area from all sources is 97.7 thousand hectares and irrigation percentage is 23 in the district. Average rainfall is 1083.9 mm in the district. 40.67% of total district is covered with forests. Betul forest circle comprises of 92 Forest Villages, out of which 4 forest villages are goverened by Rampur-Bhatodi Project of Forest Development Corporation. Main species of Betul Forest is Teak. Many medicinal plants, Haldu, Saja, Dhaoda etc. and large amount of minor forest produce such as Tendu leaves, Chironji, Harra, Amla is also obtained in large quantity at Betul forest.
|Type||Area ( '000 Hectares )|
|Double crop area||111.7|
|Kharif crop area||388.0|
|Rabi crop area||138.5|
|Total crop area||526.5|
|Medium Irrigation Projects||4|
|Small Irrigation Projects||86|
|Forest Type||Area (Sq. Kms)|
There are 7160 cottage industries in the district, which have provided employment to 17,682 people and have a total investment over 1235.65 Lakhs.Small Scale Industries
There are 33 Small Scale Industries (SSI) in the district, which have provided employment to 667 people and have total investment over 819.99 Lakhs. Out of 33 SSI's, 8 are Agro based, 13 are Mineral based, 1 is forest based and 11 are others.Large & Medium scale Industries
There are 5 Large & Medium scale units in the district, which have provided employment to 999 people and have total investment over 1681.37 Lakhs.
Betul is well connected by Road & Rail network. It is Delhi-Chennai broadgage railway line & National highway No.69 also passes through this district. The nearest Airports are at Nagpur & Bhopal which are around 180 Kms away from the district headquarter Betul.
An archeology museum has been working for about fifteen years. There is a small collection of statues and sculptures. Recently the District Administration has displayed information on the points of historical interests.There are many monuments and relics of historical interests scattered all over the District such as : Khedla
At Bhainsdehi there is an Old Shiva Temple built of carved stones . The roof at long ago collapsed. At present there are some beautifully carved pillars.Kazili and Kanigiya
7 Km from Amla there are twin village of Kazili and Kanigiya which contain old Temples of Hindus and Jains built in stone. They appeared to be places of considerable religious importance. If excavation is carried out here , it can result in the discovery of numerous objects of Archeological value.Muktagiri
At Muktagiri, there are some Jain Temples built on a hill as the name suggests the place had been sacred to the Jaines who came here to pass their last days.
|Betul at a glance|
|Area of the District||10043 Sq.Km|
|Population of the District (2001)||13,95,175|
|Rural Population (2001)||11,36,056|
|Urban Population (2001)||2,59,119|
|Density of the Population||138/Sq.Km|
|Growth rate||18.2 %|
|Male Literacy Rate||77.31%|
|Female literacy Rate||56.05%|
|Tehsils in the District (5)||Betul|
|Development Blocks (10)||Betul|
|Integrate Child Development Blocks||10 (Same As Above)|
|Janpad Panchat||10 (Same as Above)|
|Nagar Palika (3)||Betul|
|Nagar Panchayat (3)||Multai|
Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is a fascinating amalgam of scenic beauty, old historic city and modern urban planning. It is the 11th century city Bhojpal, founded by Raja Bhoj, but the present city was established by an Afghan soldier, Dost Mohammed (1707-1740). His descendants build Bhopal into a beautiful city. Bhopal today presents a multi-faceted profile; the old city with its marketplaces and fine old mosques and palaces still bears the aristocratic imprint of its former rulers, among them the succession of powerful Begums who ruled Bhopal from 1819 to 1926. Equally impressive is the new city with its verdant, exquisitely laid out parks and gardens, broad avenues and streamlined modern edifices. It is greener and cleaner than most cities in the country. Bhopal has been a city in which one finds traces of cultures as different as those of Buddhists, Hindus, Moguals and Afghans, all of which have been blended to perfection, providing Bhopal a distinct identity. Bhopal offers a mix of traditional splendor at its very best and a feel of the modern city. With lush green environs coupled with natural beauty within the city limits as well as surrounding it.
The climate is moderate in Bhopal. The summers are hot and winters cold. But it does not face extreme weather conditions.It rains moderately during rainy season.The weather is pleasant through out the year.
Bhopal is connected by regular Alliance Air flights to Mumbai, Indore, Delhi and Gwalior. Sahara Airlines connect Bhopal with Delhi, Guwahati, Goa, Indore and Lucknow. Airport is 15 km from the city "center".By Train
Bhopal is on one of the two main Delhi to Mumbai railway lines and also on the main line to the southern state capitals of Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Thiruvananthpuram. There are direct trains to Amritsar and Jammu Tawi and also to major towns in Madhya Pradesh.By Road
There are extensive bus services (private and state) to cities within the region and interstate.
This is the largest mosque in the country. The building of this mosque was begun by Shah Jehan Begum (1868-1901) but was incomplete on her death and was completed only after 1971. The most impressive features of the mosque are its main hall with inter-arched roof, broad facade, spacious courtyard, and smooth marble flooring.Jama-Masjid
Jama Masjid is located at the centre of chowk bazar, a busy business centre of Bhopal. This was built in 1837 by Kudsia Begum. This Masjid was completed in 24 years. To built this masjid, an amount of Rs.60.5 lakhs was spent. This beautiful mosque has gold spikes in the minarets of this beautiful mosque.Moti-Masajid
Moti Masjid is architecturally akin to Jama Masjid in Delhi. It was built in 1860 by the Sikandar Jehan Begum daughter of Kudsia Begum (Sikandar Jehan).Idgah
Shahjahan Begum got it built on about five acres of land. This area is known as idgah hills. Muslim devotees offer their prayers on ID and other occasions.Birla Mandir
Birla Mandir is situated at the highest point of Bhopal, atop area Hills. Birla Mandir not only provides a spiritual experience but also a panoramic view of the breath taking picturesque city of Bhopal. It is a place where one can have an overview of the entire Bhopal city. The temple has a museum attached to it where there is a rich collection of sculptures from Raisen, Sehore, Mandsaur, and Shahdol districts of Madhya Pradesh.Gufa Mandir
The famous temple is located near Lalghati. It is said that Late Baba Narayandas founded it in the year 1949. In the large campus of mandir, beautiful idols of Lord Shiva, Ram - Laxman, Sitaji, Goddes Durga and Hanuman are built. People and devotees from different places come for darshan everyday. A sanskrit college is also located in the campus.Khatlapura Mandir
Shri Ram temple is situated near lower lake and district Commandant office. It was built 150 years ago. Beautiful idols of Lord Ram , Laxman, Sitaji, Goddes Durga, Sitla Mata, Lord Ganesh, Saibaba, Lord Shankar sitting on Nandia attract lot of devotees and visitors. A fare is held every year on Dol-Gyaras.Bharat Bhawan
Bharat Bhawan is one of the most unique national institutes in India. This is a centre for the performing and visual arts. Bharat Bhawan is designed by the renowned architect Charles Currier. There are a museum of the arts, an art gallery, a workshop for fine arts, a reparatory theatre, indoor and outdoor auditoria, rehersal room, and libraries of Indian poetry, classical and folk music.Manav Sangrahalaya (Museum of Man kind)
An open-air exhibition of tribal houses is located on Shamla Hills. The exhibition highlights the architectural features and has elaborately displayed interiors. The surroundings have been reconstructed to match some of the interesting environmental features of tribal villages. The habitat is open every day except on Mondays and national holidays from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm.Fish Aquarium
It is situated near Raj-Bhavan and old assembly hall. It came into existence on 31st May, 1977. Covering one hectare area fish house is built in fish like structure. It attracts visitors a lot. Fish house is a double storey structure. Upper portion has forty glass aquariums, where various species of living and colorful fishes can be seen. In the Fish house one can see Golden Shark, paradise blue, Rosy Barb, King Kobra, Golden plata, Golden Gormi, Tiger Barb, Black Moor and King Zebra. In the lower section are 26 big aquariums. Here is kept collection of fishes brought from state and national lakes ,rivers and ponds. Among these can be seen Rohu, Katla, Mirgal, Sawal, Padin, Collet, Ticto, Pencil-Fira and Bam fish. Fish hose is open for visitors from 1st April to 30th Sept from 1 pm to 8 pm and from 1st October to 31st March from 12 pm to 7 pm.Regional Science Centre
This is a science museum located on the picturesque Shyamala Hills. This centre houses about 300 science exhibits in 'Invention' and 'Fun Science' galleries. 'Taramandal' and Planetarium at the centre helps the students and enthusiasts study the astral and mysterious world of stars, galaxies and the universe. Stargazing sessions are organized at the planetarium for those who want to have a real close view of these luminous bodies.Shaukat Mahal & Sadar Manzil
Shaukat Mahal is situated at the entrance to the Chowk area in the heart of the city. It was designed by a Frenchman, said to be descendant of the Bourbon kings of France. Shaukat Mahal is an architectural marvel and a cynosure of all eyes. Sadar Manzil is the Hall of public audience of the former rulers of Bhopal.Upper Lake
One thousand years ago, Bhopal lake was built by late parmar king Bhoj known as Upper lake. There is a saying that once king Bhoj suffered from skin disease. All vaidya's failed to cure him. One day a saint told king Bhoj to build a tank to combine 365 tributaries and than have a bath in it to wipe out the skin disease. As per saints version, king Bhoj called upon his engineers to build up a huge tank. They spotted a place near river Betwa, which was 32 Km away from Bhopal. When this was measured, it was found that it has only 359 tributaries. A Gond Commander Kalia fulfilled this shortage. He than gave the address of an invisible river. After merging the tributaries of this river the number 365 was completed. The Upper lake is divided from the Lower by an over bridge and is six sq. km. in area. There are facilities for exciting trips by sail, paddle, and motor-boats.Lower Lake
The history of this lake is about two hundred years old. This was built by Chote Khan, A minister in the kingdom of Nabab Hayat Mohd. Khan in the year 1794. Before construction of this lake, there were many wells, which were used to draw water for agricultural and other purposes. But after the construction of the tank all wells merged in this lake. The smaller lake is spread over an area 7.99 square kilometer. A Century and half ago the tank was maximum 11.7 meters and minimum 6.16 meters deep.Van Vihar
It is the "center" of attraction for local as well as foreign tourists which is located on a hill near to upper lake in natural surroundings. Wide spread lake water, turning roads, sweet murmurs of birds on the trees, cold waves, peaceful atmosphere and the natural beauty of van vihar give a lot of self enjoyment. Van Vihar is spread over an area of 445 hectares. There are many wild animals like Tiger, Leopard, Panther are a treat to watch.Capital's Park
Park's beauty attract tourists. In Bhopal, Main parks are Kamla park, Vardhman park, Kilol park, Karishma Park, Yadgare Shahjahani park, Neelum park, Naunihal park, Ekant park, Chinar park and Nandan park. During evening these parks are visited by citizen's of the localities.
The sprawling industrial town of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) spread over 19.56 sq. kilometer and having a population of about 1.5 lack, has a quaint charm of its own. This modern township has been maintained with excellent amenities for residential quarters, shopping centres, hospitals, schools, colleges, parks, clubs etc.Bhimbetka
Hemmed in by the northern fringe of the vindhya ranges, Bhimbetka lies 46 Kms. South of Bhopal. The rocky terrain of dense forest and craggy cliffs has over 600 shelters belonging to the Neolithic age. They had a vivid, panoramic detail, painting in over 500 caves depicting the lives of pre-historic cave dwellers. This invaluable chronicle on the history of man, should not be missed. One can enjoy the paintings depicting everyday events of our ancestors like scenes of hunting, dancing, horse and elephant riding, household scenes, honey collection, animal fighting scenes etc. Bhimbetka is an archaeological treasure house.Bhojpur
The magnificent temple of Bhojpur, which has earned the nomenclature of the Somnath of the East is known as the Bhojeshwar temple. Dating back to the period of Raja Bhoj, The legendary Parmar king of Dhar, the temple is about 1000 years old. This temple to this date attracts devotees of Lord Shiva in huge numbers during the Shivaratri festivities. Just half an hour drive from Bhopal, this sanctum has the biggest Shiva Linga carved out of a single stone, rising to an awe-inspiring height of 7.5 feet with a circumference of 17.8 feet. Set upon a massive platform of 21.5 feet, the architectural harmony of lingam and platform creates a superb synthesis of solidity and lightness. Although the temple was never completed, it still remains one of the best examples of temple architecture of the 12th and 13th centuries.Islam Nagar
11km away on Bhopal-Berasia Road has synthesis of Hindu and Islamic decorative art developed by Afghan ruler Dost Mohammed Khan.Samasgarh
It is situated 22 kilometer away from Bhopal. This place was discovered 70 years ago by a jain Muni. Hundred of idols of Jain tearthankars can be seen there.Manua Bhan Ki Tekri
Near seven kilometer away from Bhopal on Gwalior road on the top of a hill is situated Manua Bhan Ki Tekri, the Jain temple, a pilgrimage and faith of jain devotees. On the tekri the Jain saint Maharaj Shri Vijay Suriji, Shri Jindutta Sureshwarji and Acharya Manutung's footwears are kept and also an idol of Shri Man Bhadarji has been installed. On the Simha Gate of the temple is an old manuscript carved on the stone, the language in which it has been written is still to be deciphered. It is also said to be the Sadhana Sthali of Oswal Dynasty. A big fare is also held every year here on Kartik Purnima.
|Harda District at a glance|
|Total Population (2001 P.)||1,45,367||1,90,264||1,38,543||4,74,174|
|Town Area Population (2001 P.)||19,178||64,426||17,483||1,01,087|
|Total Police Station||2||2||2||6|
|Total Agricultural Land (Hect.)||56,101||65,605||53,015||1,74,721|
|Irrigated Land (Hect.)||41,820||48,275||20,623||1,10,718|
Hoshangabad district lies in the central Narmada Valley and on the northern fringe of the Satpura Plateau. It lies between the parallels of 22 degree 15 minute and 22 degree 44 minute east. In shape, it is an irregular strip elongated along the southern banks of Narmda river. Its greatest length from south-east to north-east is 160 kms. Northern boundary of the district is river Narmada. Across this the district of Raisen and Sehore lies. The district of Betul lies in the south, where as the Harda district faces with the western and south-western boundaries and Narsingpur and Chhindwara districts, close to the north-eastern and south-eastern sides of the district respectively. The district takes its own name from the head quarters town Hoshangabad which was founded by Sultan Hushang Shah Gori, the second king of Mandu (Malwa) in ealry 15th century. There are two main rivers namely the Narmada and the Tawa in the district, which join each other at the village Bandra Bhan. In the spot, a holy mela also organise on the occassion of Kartik purnima. Other small rivers are the Dudhi and the Denwa. A very big lake is also at Pachmarhi, which is one of the main tourist place of the district and it is open for boating for all tourists.
In Hoshangabad district, there is only one industry namely Security Papers Mill, Hoshangabad which is functioning under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India. Other this there some units are also working i.e. Ordinance Factory, Itarsi which works under Ministry of Defence, Government of India and Railway Engineering Factory, Diesel Shade, Oil Federation (manufacturing plant), Banapura. The main trade in the district are Handicrafts, Silk, Leather, Pulses etc. Other these, the main business deals in the delivering of Sand and Tiles which come from river Narmada. In Hoshangabad district, a big agriculture Mandi is located in the Itarsi town and there are other four mandis also in district. Itarsi Mandi is centre business point of the district and other main business place is Piparia town. However, Itarsi town is main Railway junction in the country which joins all the four corners of the country e.g. Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkatta & Chennai and it also joins other places in the county along with state by rail and by bus for managing the business. Hoshangabad town is mostly inhibited by middle class family with a mixed economy.
The climate of Hoshangabad district is normal. All the seasons come in the district. An average height from the sea level is 331 m and avearge rain fall is 134 cms. The average maximum and minimum temperatures are 32 deg.C and 19 deg.C resp. Overall, the climate of the district is neither more hot nor more cool except the winter season of the Pachmarhi.
Hoshangabad is freely connected by road and rail from the state capital, Bhopal and it is about 70 kms. away from it. It is connected by rail with all major cities of the state. One of its tehsil namely Itarsi is linked with all major cities of the country due to main railway junction of the central railway, which is 18 kms. away from the district head-quarter. From Itarsi, one can also move to Pachmarhi by road, which is one of the most popular tourist spot of the district.
It is a religious place due to holi river Narmada. A thousands of pilgrims visited to this place for sacred bath on the occasion of Makrasankranti, Mahasivaratri & all Amavasyas. A Sethani ghat is the most popular ghat for sacred bath. A crowed mela is likely to be organized in the winter season. Also the Narmada Jayanti is celebrated in the winter season and inaugurated by the Chief Minister or Minister of the state. Thousand of pilgrims attend the Narmada Jayanti. Every year, a mela held in town on the samadhi of Ramji Baba with an exhibition and it continues for a month. A lot of crowd come from the whole district along with an adjacent districts.
Panchmarhi is a hill station in the Satpura range of hills. It is also known as "Queen of Satpura". By popular belief the name Pachmarhi is a derivation of 'Panch-Marhi' or the five caves of the Pandava brothers. During the British regime, Pachmarhi was the summer capital of the Central Provinces. Pachmarhi has an Army Education Crops Centre and school with a music wing, a higher secondary school, a civil hospital, Tibetan School, a cinema house, three post and one telegraph offices with public call facility and a very good club. All months in a year are convenient to visit the Pachmarhi, evenly rainy season is the most comfortable season for the tourists due to greenry at the spot.
It is situated in Pipariya tehsil. It is on the way of Piparia-Matkuli- Pachamrhi road, at a distance of 123 kms. from district head-quarter. It is connected with rail upto Piparia railway station en-route of Hawrah-Mumbai rail route. Pachamrhi is at a distance of about 52 km from Piparia railway station and 211 km from state capital Bhopal.
The altitude of this station is about 1067 metres from the sea level and the average rainfall is about 200 cms. The maximum and minimum temperature here during the months of May and June is 39 degree centigrade and 19 degree centigrade respectively. The average temperature is thus about 10 degree less than that of the Hoshangabad valley. The atmosphere is always very clear and fresh, free from the mist or fog during the rains.
There are so many places to view for the tourist i.e., Dhupgarh Peak (1384.75 mts) than come Chouragarh and Mahadeo. Dhupgarh is picnic spot with a motorable road upto its summit and with a rest house. Other places are Handi-Kho and Jambu Dwip. It is said that Lord Mahadeo reached the later place by tunnel from Tilak Sindur to save himself from the demon king Bhasmasura . A small stream originates from a dark cave near this place, where the idol of Jata Shankar Mahadeva has been installed. During Hindu festivals people in large number come to Jata Shankar to offer Puja. The most interesting objects of Pachmarhi Town are its five huts or caves hewn in a hall of small eminence. Dutches Fall (Jalavataran), the beautiful water-fall is a picturesque and cool spot in hot weather. Water Meet (Sangam) is the lowest of the picnic spot on the Denwa. The fine, big, rocky Saunder Pool is situated in the Jambu Dwip stream. A few caves, known as the Mahadeva Caves lie at a distance of about 3 km. north-east of Piparia road. Most of the view-points of Pachmarhi or their approach roads are touched by two fine circular roads, called "Long Chakkar" and "Short Chakkar" about 13 km. and 6 km. respectively in length.
A small forest village in the extreme south of the Sohagpur tehsil, about 20 km.west of Pachmarhi, has given its name to the oldest and most important rorest range in Hoshangabad District. The Bori range extends from the foot of the Pachmarhi hills to the Tawa and Denwa rivers, and produces some of the finest teak wood and bamboos in the State. Other common trees in the Bori forest are Saj, Dhaora and Tinsa. The Bori river which rises on the west face of Dhupgarh, is the principle tributary of the Sanbhadra. A Wild Life Sanctuary, to be known as 'Bori Sanctuary' has been set up in the area of about 1200 sq.km. The Bori Sanctuary will be accessible by rail and road from Bhopal.
|Hoshangabad district at a glance|
|Latitude||21o 53" to 22o 59"|
|Longitude||76o 47" to 78o 44"|
|Height from Sea Level||331 mts|
|Average Rainfall||1343.6 mm|
|Temperature||32o C to 19o C|
|Geographical Area||5408.23 sqkm|
|Forest Area||2229.74 sqkm|
|Total Populated Villages||923|
|Total Gram Panchayats||391|
|Total Zanpad Panchayats||7|
|No. of Urban Areas||11|
|Total Rural Population||617520|
|Total Urban Population||268929|
|Total Nationalized Banks||94|
|Total Co-operative Banks||13|
|Land Development Banks||8|
|Net Sown Area||291785 hect|
|Double Cropped Area||179557 hect|
|Net Irrigated Area||227795 hect|
|Senior Secondary Schools||69|
|Enrolled Studenets in Colleges||10221|
|Technical College (Polytechnic)||01|
|Public Health & Family Welfare|
|Community Health Centres||3|
Raisen District lies in the central part of Madhya Pradesh. The District is situated between the latitude 22 47' and 23 33' north and the longitude 77 21' and 78 49' east. It is bounded in the west by Sehore district, in the north by Vidisha district, in the east and south-east by Sagar district, in the south-east by Narsimhapur district, and in the south by Hoshangabad and Sehore district. The total area of the District is 8,395 Sq. Km., which contains the 1.93 % of the State's area. Raisen District takes its name from massive Fort. This fort is build on a sandstone hill, at the foot of which settles the town. The name is probably a corruption of Rajavasini or Rajasayan, the royal residence.
Located on the foot of a hill-- Sanchi is just 46 kms from Bhopal. It is more of a village than a town. Sanchi is a religious place with historical and Archaeological significance. Sanchi is a site for the numerous stupas which were built on a hill top. The place is related to Buddhism but not directly to the life of Buddha. It is more related to Ashoka than to Buddha. Ashoka built the first stupa and put up many pillars here. The crown of famous Ashoka pillars, with four lions standing back to back, has been adopted as the national emblem of India. Sanchi adopted Buddhism which replaced the prominent Hinduism. But time took its toll and slowly both the stupas and the place were forgotten. In 1818 Sanchi was rediscovered and it was found that the marvelous pieces of structure were not in good shape. Gradually historical and the religious significance of the place was recognised. Restoration work of the stupas started in 1881 and finally between 1912 and 1919 these were carefully repaired and restored. It was accepted that the structure at Sanchi are the most organised construction which went into the engineering of temples in the medieval period. The carvings here are done with the precision of Jewellers. Despite the damage and restoration work done Sanchi is the most evocative and attractive Buddhist site in India. Sanchi is primarily a place of Stupas and pillars but the gorgeous gateways add grace to the place. These gateways are beautifully carved and carry scenes from the life of Buddha or Ashoka. These gateways are the finest specimens of early classical art, which formed the seed bed of entire vocabulary of later Indian art. The images carved on the pillars and the stupas tell moving story of the incidents form the life of Buddha.
Sanchi has been famous for the Stupas which were built on the top of a hill. The purpose of these stupas was mostly religious. The most likely use of the stupas has been said to keep the relics. Some of these stupas have been found containing relics of disciples of Buddha. The stupas date as early as the 3rd century and are built in brick made of stone. Though most of the stupas are in ruins now three remain intact and are of great archaeological value. The designs and the carvings on the walls and gates of these stupas spell a heavenly grace and are very tastefully done.
The Four gateways constructed in 35 BC are the best from of Buddhist expression one can find any where in the world. Gateways or Torans as they are called are covered with explicit carving which depict scenes from the life Buddha and Jatakas, the stories relating to Buddha and his earlier births. At this stage Buddha was not represented directly but symbols were used to portray him-- The lotus represents his birth, the tree his enlightenment, the wheel, derived from the title of his first sermon, the footprints and throw symbolising his presence. The carvings on the Torans are done with inspired imagery which in harmony with the surrounding figures balance the solidity of massive stupas.
The Ashoka Pillar is one of many pillars which are scattered in the area some of these are in broken and some in shape. The Ashoka pillar is on the southern entrance. Today here only the shaft stands and the crown is kept in the museum. The crown is the famous four lions which stand back to back. This figure was adopted as the national Emblem of India. The Ashoka pillars are an excellent example of he Greco-Buddhist style and is known for the aesthetic proportions and the exquisite structural balance.
The earlier monasteries were made from wood which was exquisitely carved and tastefully decorated. The present monasteries are not even the shadow of what they were in the past. A few kms from Sanchi are the relics of the Satdhara Stupa. The relics are kept in glass casket which is placed on the inner sanctum of the modern monastery.
Sanchi had a huge bowl carved out of single rock. Grain was stored in this bowl and it was distributed among the monks in Sanchi.
This temple is now in ruins. But what ever is left tells a saga of greatness and a temple which had no match during its times. The temple was built in 5th century and is an excellent example of ancient temple architecture in India.
The archaeological survey of India maintains a museum which house many items which were discovered during the excavation of Sanchi area. Most prized possession of the museum is the lion crown from Ashoka pillar. The museum has a sizeable collection of utensils and other items used by the monks who lived here.
Founded by the legendary Parmar king of Dhar, Raja Bhoj (1010-53), and named after him, Bhojpur, 28 km from Bhopal, is renowned for the remains of its magnificent Shiva Temple and Cyclopean dam.
The temple, which has earned the nomenclature of the Somnath of the East, is known as the Bhojeshwar Temple. In plan a simple square, with an exterior dimension of 66 feet, it is devoid of the re-entrant angles usual in such buildings. The richly carved dome, though incomplete, has a magnificent, soaring strength of line and is supported by four pillars. These, like the dome, have been conceived on a massive scale, yet retain a remarkable elegance because of their Bhojeshwar Temple tapering form. Divided into three sections, the lowest is an octagon with facets of 2.12 feet, from which springs a 24-faced section. Richly carved above, the doorway is plain below, throwing into sharp relief the two exquisitely sculpted figures that stand on either side. On the other three sides of the structure are balconies, each supported by massive brackets and four intricately carved pillars. The lingam in the sanctum rises to an awe-inspiring height of 7.5 feet with a circumference of 17.8 feet. Set upon a massive platform 21.5 feet square, and composed of three superimposed limestone blocks, the architectural harmony of lingam and platform creates a superb synthesis of solidity and lightness. The temple was never completed, and the earthern ramp used to raise it to dome-level still stands. Had it been completed, it would have had very few rivals. As it is, even with the ravages of time, it remains one of the best examples of temple architecture of the 12th and 13th centuries.
Also incomplete, and with a similar stone-raising ramp, is a Jain shrine that stands close to the Bhojeshwar temple. Three figures of the tirthankaras are contained within, one being a colossal statue of Mahavira 20 feet high, and the other two of Parsvanath. Rectangular in plan, this temple probably belongs to the same period as the Bhojeshwar.
West of Bhojpur once lay a vast lake, but nothing remains except the ruins of the magnificent old dams by which its waters were contained. The site was chosen with great skill, as a natural wall of hills enclosed the whole area except for two gaps, 100 yards and 500 yards in width respectively. These were closed by gigantic earthern dams, faced on both sides with enormous blocks of sandstone, many being 4 feet long, 3 feet broad and 2.5 feet thick, set without mortar. The smaller dam is 44 feet high and 300 feet thick at the base, the larger dam 24 feet high with a flat top 100 feet broad. These embankments held up an expanse of water of about 250 square miles. This great work is ascribed to Raja Bhoj, but it may possibly be of an earlier date.The lake was destroyed by Hoshang Shah of Malwa (1405-34), who cut through the lesser dam, and thus, either intentionally or in a fit of destructive passion, added an enormous area of the highest fertility to his possessions. According to a Gond legend, it took an army of them three months to cut through the dam, and the lake took three years to empty, while its bed was not habitable for thirty years afterwards. The climate of Malwa is said to have been considerably altered by the removal of this vast sheet of water.
Surrounded by the northern fringe of the Vindhyan ranges, Bhimbetka lies 46 km south of Bhopal. In this rocky terrain of dense forest and craggy cliffs, over 600 rock shelters belonging to the Neolithic age were recently discovered. Here, in vivid, panoramic detail, paintings in over 500 caves depict the life of the prehistoric cave-dwellers, making the Bhimbetka group an archaeological treasure, an invaluable chronicle in the history of man. Executed mainly in red and white with the occasional use of green and yellow, with themes taken from the everyday events of aeons ago, the scenes usually depict hunting, dancing, music, horse and elephant riders, animals fighting, honey collection, decoration of bodies, disguises, masking and household scenes. Animals such as bisons, tigers, lions, wild boar, elephants, antelopes, dogs, lizards, Hunting scene - a popular motif with rock painters crocodiles etc. have been abundantly depicted in some caves. Popular religious and ritual symbols also occur frequently. The superimposition of paintings shows that the same canvas was used by different people at different times. The colours used by the cave dwellers were prepared combining manganese, haematite, soft red stone and wooden coal. Sometimes the fat of animals and extracts of leaves were also used in the mixture. The colours have remained intact for many centuries due to the chemical reaction resulting from the oxide present on the surface of the rocks.The drawings and paintings can be classified under seven different periods:
Comparatively small in size, the stylised figures in this group show linear decoration on the body. In addition to animals, there are human figures and hunting scenes, giving a clear picture of the weapons they used: barbed spears, pointed sticks, bows and arrows. The depiction of communal dances, birds, musical instruments, mother and child, pregnant women, men carrying dead animals, drinking and burials appear in rhythmic movement.
Similar to the paintings of Chaleolithic pottery, these drawings reveal that during the period the cave dwellers of this area had come in contact with the agricultural communities of the Malwa plains and started an exchange of their requirements with each other.
The figures of this group have a schematic and decorative style, and are painted mainly in red, white and yellow. The association is of riders, depiction of religious symbols, tunic-like dresses and the existence of scripts of different periods. The religious beliefs are represented by figures of yakshas, tree gods and magical sky chariots.
Rajgarh District is located in the Northern part of Malwa Plateau. It forms the North Western part of Division of Bhopal Commissioner. Rajgarh District extends between the parallels of Latitude 23027' 12" North and 24017' 20" north and between the meridians of Longitude 76011' 15" and 77014' east. It has a Quadrangular shape with the northern and western sides longer than the southern and eastern sides respectively. The zigzag boundaries of the District resemble a pear. Rajgarh District is bounded by Shajapur District in the south as well as west. The District of Sehore, Bhopal, Guna and Jhalawar (Rajasthan) enclose it from the southeast, east, northeast, and north directions respectively. The total Geographical area of the District is 6,154 sq.km. with a population of 1254085 according to census 2001. It is one of the small districts of Madhya Pradesh both in respect of area and population. The District takes its name from the headquarters town Rajgarh. Rajgarh District was constituted after the formation of Madhya Bharat in May, 1948. Prior to this the area of the present District was parceled out among the States of Rajgarh, Narsinghgarh, Khilchipur, Dewas (Senior) Dewas (Junior) and Indore. At present the District is divided into five Subdivisions and six tehsils. the following table shows the details of area and population of each unit.
The town is nearly 300 years old having been founded in 1681 by Dewan Parasram. The beautiful lake in the town in which is reflected the old fort and palace still bears the name of the founder. The town is 83 Kms. from the Bhopal and is reached by a good road. The site of the town is the place of temple of Shiva - then known as Topila Mahadeo, for the persons who lived there manufactured toplis or basket. Hence the name stick. It is however in the autumnal months that the place becomes exceedingly picturesque and beautiful. From the top of the Baijnath Mahadeo temple the pleasant panorama is very appealing, with the lakes of full limpid water, with the land carpeted in lush green grass, with the small streams racing down the slopes of the hills and hills themselves covered with good vegetation and as rustling wind sweeps the murmuring countryside adorned with mellowing crops, radiant in the evening sun, the brilliance of blue skies seems to evenly matched with the grandeur of the green.
The village is said to be over 1000 years old having been named after a Kulmi patel. The muslim troops used to be stationed here and legend has it, that it was from here that they saw the five sola Khamba at Bihar (Narsinghgarh). It is situated on the bank of Kali Sindh river and 10Km from the Sarangpur tehsil. It was the scene of battle in 1813 & 1847.
A Sanka is a small village situated near the river Parvati and is about 5Km from Kotra, once its tehsil headquarter of Rajgarh State. Each year in the month of magh, a mela is held here and is known as Shyamji-ka-mela. The famous temple of Shyamji was built in the memory of the king Sangram Singh (Shyam Singh) by his wife Bhagyawati in the 16-17th century, the king died in an encounter with a mughal soldier of Haji Wali. The temple is protected by the state govt. It has beautiful paintings on the wall reflecting the Malwi & Rajashthani effects, the beautiful and well carved stones & bricks were used to construct the temple.
A beautiful temple is just 4 Kms. from Rajgarh. It is on the high hill & one can have a picturesque view of the town from the top. It is covered with dense forest having different varieties of plants. The devotee come from different parts in the navratri season.
A saint Hazrat Syed Qurban Ali Shah Badakhshani known as "Baba Badakshani R.A." born in 1245 (hijri) at Badakshan & came to India in 1268 (hijri) from Badakhshan of Afganistan and later he came to Rajgarh in 1309 hijri. In the year 1914 A.D. he died on 20th of the holly month of Ramazan of 1334 hijri. Since then his death anniversary is celebrated as "URS" in the month of March from 10-12. People of all communities from all over the India and some of other countries come in to the URS for spiritual gain.
Dargah Shareef, Masjid and other buildings were founded by the Mutawalli of Dargah Shri Syed. Mushtaq Ali Rizvi Sandelvi after the death of Baba Sahib. At present all managements of Dargah Shareef and URS programme is managed by the Present Mutawalli of Dargah Shri Syed. Mushtaq Rizvi.
Wild Life Sancutary of Narsinghgarh is among one of the 35 sancturies of M.P. established in 1978 under Forest Division Rajgarh Social Forestry. Sanctuary is situated on N.H.12 (Jabalpur-Jaipur) 70 Kms from Bhopal, 221 Kms from Indore, 35 Kms from Biaora and 278 Kms from Kota. (Latitude:23035' to 23040' North, Longitude:7702' to 77010' East, Height form Sea Level: 462.07 to 576.08 meter). It is covered 57.197 Sq. Km. (Reserve Forest) area. Due to its natural beauty it is one of the most beautiful place of Rajgarh district, so it is also known as "Kashmir of Malwa" region.
In the "center" of this sanctuary "Chidikho Lake" is situated which is one of the attraction among the tourists. This sanctuary is built by the rulers of the state and in the ancient time this sanctuary is used for hunting purpose by the rulers. Migratory birds from different places reaches here in this sanctuary. The lake situtated here is having special appearance due to which the local people named this lake as "Chidikho Lake". Here in this sanctuary we can have a glimpse of local birds and migratory birds. State bird Dhoodh Raj is mainly seen here in this sanctuary. National bird peakock is mainly seen in this sanctuary and in nearby areas. The climatic condition is suitable for the national bird peakock. And this sancutary is having a chance to develope as Mayur Park Area of this sanctuary is sufficient for wild animals. Gulbagh, Cheetal, Sambhar, Neelgai are mainly found. We can see them freely roaming in this sanctuary. Near to " Chidikho Lake " Jamun kho, Andhiyar kho, Dhuwali wild animals can be seen. Work is done for protection and preservation of wild animals.
Sehore stands in the foothills of Vindhyachal Range in the middle of Malwa region. After formation of Madhya Pradesh, the state capital Bhopal was a part of the Sehore district. It was bifurcated in 1972 and a new district Bhopal was formed. Sehore is surrounded by six districts i.e. Bhopal, Raisen, Hoshangabad, Dewas, Shajapur and Rajgarh. Sehore District has an area of 6578 Km and extends between the parallels of Latitude 22031'to 230 40' North and between the meridians of Longitude 76022' and 78008' East. Sehore is 39 Km away from state capital Bhopal towards south and on Bhopal-Indore highway. Its height from the sea level is 1500 ft. to 2000 ft. It is also connected to Western Railway from Bhopal to Ratlam. Rivers big and small abound the landscape of Sehore. Narmada , Parwati, Dudhi, Newaj, Kolar, Papnas, Kulans, Seewan, Lotia, and other rivers tell the sad tale of their lost splendour in the form of scattered idols. Idols of Lord Vishnu, Ganesha, Shiva, Parvati, Nandi, Garuda, Lord Mahavira,Gautam Buddha, Apsaras and fairies have been found in different forms and postures. The lacquer bangles of the district are a coveted adornment of the Gond , Bhiala Nad Korku tribes of the region. Bhavai, the traditional dance of these tribes is an excellent example of their artistic proclivities. In tribal area of Sehore the Bagoria dance, with its vigorous drum beating, is still performed around the Holi festival. This dance is occasion for tribal girls & boys to have run away marriage. The high school of sehore founded in 1835 by political agent Likinson, has to its credit student like Mr. Hidayaullah (Former chief justice, supreme court & vice president of India) Mr. Banchu (Ex chief justice ) Mirza Faim Begh (chief engineer). The best time of the year to visit Sehore and its sprawling teak forests is November with its autumn ripeness and March with its spring finery. Climatically , these two may be said the opportune time to visit Sehore.
Sidhha Ganesha Mandir is established in the village Gopalpur in the N-west direction , 3km from the District Headquarters. As per legend, it dates back to Vikramaditya of Ujjain and renovated by BajiRao I the Maratha Peshwa. Each Wednesday, large number of devotees throng here. Ganesha Chaturthi festival is also popular here .Cenotaphs of Kunwar Chain Singh
Cenotaphs, samadhies and tombs of Kunwar Chainsingh are 2 Km away in Dashahra wala Maidan on the bank of river Lotia on Sehore - Indore Road . These cenotaphs remind the historic fight between patriot Chainsingh of Narsingh Garh estate and political agent Mr.Medhank.Jama Masjid Jama Masjid Built by Mugis Uddin Shah in 732 Hijri & renovated by Beghum Siknadar Jahan in 1281. It is said to posses once a picturesque Bawadi (water tank). Jain Mandir It is situated in Kasba (sehore) .Two thirthankar idols are dated 1335 ,and 1548 Vikram Samvat. Hanuman Phatak An emphatic temple of Lord Hanuman on a Garhi on the bank of river Seewan in a far flung corner of the city, provides aesthetic ambience as well as a prominent seat of devotion. Navratra festival in Ashwin and Chaitra are very popular for its religious importance. Church
The Sehore Church which was built by a British political agent who belonged to Scotland in 1838. The building is an exact replica of a church in Scotland and even the surrounding greenery, comprising mainly tall Bamboo trees, was designed to match the original .To traverse the Sehore soil is to tread upon centuries of colorful history.Gurudwara The Gurudwara is in Ganga Ashram, Sehore and it renovated in 1936 by Sikh Militarymen , it holds Langer & Path of Gurun Granth Saheb. Ramlala Mandir Ramlala Mandir is situated 1 Km from Sehore in Badia Khedi, it is revered amongst 84 maths of India. Salkanpur Durga Temple It is on a 800 feet high hillock, in the village Salkanpur, 70 Km from Bhopal . The deity, Ma Durga Beejasan is held in high esteem by her followers & local.
There is Higher Secondary School in Sehore the building of which is equally old. It is one of the four Vernacular school opened by the British around .It is this school which boasts of such alumni as Sir Hidayatullah and justice Wanchoo. The Nizamat building where the Nizam (Administrator) of the eathwhile Bhopal state held court is also worth visiting.
Situated in the fork of the Betwa and Bes rivers, Vidisha, 10 km from Sanchi, occupies an important place amongst the ancient cities in India. Vidisha district of Madhya Pradesh extends between Latitude 230 21' and 240 22' North and Longitude 770 15' 30" and 780 18' East. The District is situated in Eastern part of the fertile Malwa Region. The shape of this District is more or less Elliptical and the longer axis lies from North West to South East with slight projections on the north, northwest, south and southwest. Its greatest length from northwest to southeast is about 133.6 km and the greatest width from northeast to southwest is about 96 km . The Tropic of Cancer passes through the southern stretch of the District about 2 km south of the District Head Quarters. It is bounded in the north by Guna District in the south by Raisen District and in the east by Sagar District. The district derives its name from the Head Quarters town of Vidisha. The earliest reference of Vidisha is contained in Ramayana by Valmiki. The physical features of the district can be divided into the five following divisions :The Valley of the Betwa proper
The climate of the District is generally dry except during the South West. The nights are generally pleasant and justify the praise by the Mughals for a Shab-E-Malwa famous through out the India. The monsoon in generally during June and continues the end of September. The year may be divided into four seasons. The cold season from December to February is followed by the Hot season till mid-June. The period from mid-June to about the end of September constitute the South-West Monsoon. October and November may be termed the post monsoon or retreating monsoon. The average annual rainfall in the district is 1,229.9 mm. During the summer season on individual days the maximum temperature go above 460 C. After October both the day and night temperatures steadily decreases till January which is the coldest month. The district is affected by cold waves during the cold season in association with the western disturbances passing across the northern part on India and the minimum temperature may drop down occasionally to a degree or so above the freezing point of water and frosts may occur.
Vidisha is a railway Station on the Delhi-Madras, Delhi-Bombay main line of the Central Railway, at a distance of 56 km from Bhopal, the State capital of the Madhya Pradesh State. Sanchi on the Jhansi-Itarsi section of the Central Railway, and Vidisha, 10 km from Sanchi, are more convenient. Regular bus services connect Vidisha, Udaypur, Gyraspur, Sanchi with Bhopal. Tongas and tempos for Udayagiri and Khambha Baba are also available from Vidisha.
|Vidisha at a glance|
|Name of the District H.Q.||Vidisha|
|Latitude||230 21' and 240 22'|
|Longitude||770 15' and 780 18'|
|Mean Sea Level||428.96 m|
|Average Rainfall||1161.7 mm|
|Total Population||970388 ( CENSUS-1991)|
|Density of the population||132 per Sq km|
|Sex ratio in the population||874 females per 1000 males|
|Urban Population||20.80 % of total population|
|Growth rate of population||23.92 % ( 1981 - 1991.)|
|Literacy Rate Males||58.04 %|
|Literacy Rate Females||27.81 %|
|Number of Villages||1624|
|Number of Towns||5|
|Number of Tehsils||7|
|Number of Development Block||7|
Cut into the sandstone hill, six km from Vidisha and 3 km from Sanchi are a group of rock-cut cave sanctuaries. This archaeologically important site of antiquity is between the rivers Bes and Betwa. The site is mainly known for its ancient rock-cut temples excavated in an isolated stand stone hill and the numerous Buddhist remains in its neighbourhood. This isolated hill extends from northwest to southeast and is about a km long, rising to a height of about 110m above the plain. Traces of some ancient buildings were also found here. These temples are known as Udaigiri. Some of these contain inscriptions, dated and undated, of considerable importance. The caves are mostly small chambers, enshrining idols or images of various dynasties carved into the rock of the hill. The caves and the other remains found at the site show that the site has passed through the influence of Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism in those days. An inscription in one of these, states that it was produced during the reign of Chandragupta-II (382-401 AD), thus dating these caves to 4-5 AD. The caves possess all the distinctive features that gave Gupta art its unique vitality, vigour and richness of expression: the beautifully moulded capitals, the treatment of the inter colomination, the design of the entrance way and the system of continuing the architrave as a string-course round the structure. They have been numbered probably according to the sequence in which they were excavated, beginning with Cave 1, which has a fontage adapted out of a natural ledge of rock, thus forming both the roof of the cella and its portico. The row of four pillars bear the 'vase and foliage' pattern, of which the eminent art historian, Percy Brown, so eloquently says: "the Gupta capital typifies a renewal of faith, the water nourishing a plant trailing from its brim, an allegory which has produced the vase and flower motif, one of the most graceful forms in Indian architecture." Characterised by richly carved facades and doorways, the shrines are progressively more spacious and more ornate. Cave No. 9 is remarkable for its large cell and massive, 8 feet high pillars, its long portico and pillared hall. Throughout, there is evidence that master craftsmen of Besnagar practiced their art with skill and artistry under the Guptas, four centuries later. Cave No. 5 is awe-inspiring in the sheer magnificence of the vision of its builders: here, a massive carving depicts Vishnu, in his Varaha (Boar) incarnation, holding the Earth Goddess Prithvi aloft upon one tusk. Yet another stupendous sculpture is of the reclining Vishnu.Lohangi Rock
One of the objects of Historical and Tourist interest within the town is the Lohangi Rock, an isolated sand stone peak near the Railway Station. The Rock is about 6.086 metres in altitude, and rather a flat top of 9.129 metres in Diameter. On its western side there is low mosque with two Persian inscriptions inside. One dated A.H. 864 ( A.D. 1460), belongs to Mahmud Khilji - I of Malwa and the other is of Akbar, dated A.H. 987 (A. D. 1583). The tomb of Lohangi-Pir ( the title of Sheikh Jalal Chisti), after whom the rock is named is situated on its top. A bell capital of a gigantic Buddhist pillar atop the rock is popularly known as Pani-ki-Kundi. An old covered masonry tank is also there.Heliodorous Pillar or the Kham Baba
Heliodorous Pillar is located 4 km away from railway station of Vidisha. According toPurana's 'Bhagabhadra' was a King of Sunga Dynasty. During his reign the Greek King Antialcidas of Taxila sent Dion's son Heliodorous, as his personal ambassador to the Sunga court at Vidisha and a part of this information is inscribed on a lofty Garuda Pillar (Eagle Mounted Tower) locally named as Kham-Baba a favourite deity of Bhois or Dhimars. The inscription engraved on the pillar records the name of the pillar as Garuda-dhvaja, the column surmounted by Garuda which was erected by Heliodorous in the honour of God Vasudeo in front of the temple of Vasudeva.Bijamandal Temple
Located at Vidisha, this Temple was built in 11th century A.D. was demolished in 1682 A.D. During the reign of Mughal King Aurangzeb a mosque was erected on its site using the material of the temple. The mosque was known as Alamgiri Masjid. From an inscription carved on one of the pillars of the original temple it is evident that the temple was sacred to goddess Charchika. This inscription also record the name of king Naravarman. Vijaya was probably another name of this goddess after whom the temple is called Vijayamandira.
Tehsil of Vidisha District, 41 km northeast of Sanchi, Gyraspur was a place of considerable importance in the medieval period. The town's name is derived from the big fair which used to be held here in the 11th month, sometimes known as Gyaras. The place is situated on the old high Road to Sagar. Buses ply on the road. The extensive ruins, scattered in and around the Tehsil, narrate the story of glory that was Gyaraspur in the late ancient and early medieval times. These ruins indicate that the place has passed through the influence of Buddhism, Brahmanism and Jainism. Important places of interest are :Maladevi Temple
This temple is quite picturesquely situated on the slope of a hill overlooking the valley. Located on a huge platform cut out of the hillside and strengthened by a massive retaining wall, Maladevi temple is in fact imposing and stupendous building. It comprise an entrance-porch, a hall and a shrine surrounded by a circumambulatory passage and crowned with a lofty Shikara all covered with rich carving. Though now jain images occupy the shrine room and hall, a figure of a goddess occupying the dedicatory block on the outer door frame and other decorative sculptures probably indicate that the temple was originally dedicated to some goddess and it was subsequently appropriated by the Jains.Hindola Torana
It is one of the 'Toranas' or ornamental entrance arches leading to a large temple either of Vishnu or of Trimurti. Hindola means a swing, and this torana with its two upright pillars and cross-beam has a truly connotative name. All the four sides of the two lofty pillars are carved into panels with insets of the ten incarnations of Vishnu.Bajramath Temple
The bajramath is a fine example of a very rare class of temples with three shrines or cells placed abreast. All these shrines now occupied by Jain idols belonging to the Digambara sect. But it is clear from the sculptures placed on the door frames and niches on the basement that originally these shrines sheltered the Hindu Trinity. More precisely the central shrine was dedicated to Surya, the southern to Vishnu and the nothern to Siva. The carving of the doorway is exceptionally fine and vigorous. The Shikara of the temple is unusual in its plan and design.Shalbhanjika
A rare sculpture has been found at Gyaraspur. It is an exquisite stone figure of a Vrishaka (wood nymph) belonging to a period between the 8th & 9th century A.D. and kept in the archaeological museum, Gwalior. It has been brought there from Gyaraspur. This matchless oriental beauty represents a SHALBHANJIKA. The sculptured figure stands in a tribhang posture formed by bending her beautiful body in triple tortion and triple flexion while her face is alive with an intense expression, rather an unusual and rare phenomenon. Some smaller figures in similar pose are depicted on the sides of the 'HINDOLA TORAN' (gateway).
According to one of the many old Sanskrit inscriptions found here, Udaypura Town was founded by the Parmara King Udayaditya during the 11-th century A.D. The same inscription also mentions that the King built a temple dedicated to Siva and named it as Udayeshwara. The temple still exists here by the same name. This temple is located in Udaipur village of the Basoda Tehsil. Its nearest railway station is Bareth on Bhopal-Bina main line of the Central Railway. It is also connected by Basoda Tehsil and Vidisha the District Head Quarters. Both these places are linked by road on which buses ply via Basoda.In Badoh-Pathari
This village is in Kurwai Tehsil of the District. It is situated at a distance of about 19 kms and by the road it is east of Kulhar Railway Station on the Delhi-Bombay main line of Central Railway. The road is metalled up to Pathari ( 18 km. from Kulhar ) while the rest of it is Kachha. Badoh is about 30 km to the South-East of Kuwai. It is also linked by Road with Vidisha and Udaipur. Reguler buses ply from Vidisha to Pathari. Important places of interest are :Gadarmal Temple
This temple is situated in Badoh - Pathari of the Kuwai tehsil of the district. It is around 84 kms away from Vidisha. Regular Buses are available from Vidisha to Pathari. In madiaeval times Badoh was a town of considerable importance as is testified by numerous remains of temples. Gadarmal temple is one of temples, which being of enormous height is visible from a long distance. The temple as it stands, is of two distinct parts belonging to different periods :- basement of the shrine and the porch which are the remnants of the original temple, are of the 9th century A.D.
On the north side of the local lake, there exists ruines of a group of small vaishnava shrines popularly called Sadhavatara Temple and a large open pillared hall, both dedicated to one or other of the ten incarnations of Vishnu. Their age ranges from 8th to 10th centuy A.D. On the western bank, there are ruins of several sati pillars, probably of the 9th or 10th century A.D. One of these have four sculptured faces, depicts a seated group of hara-Gauri, with musicians and dancers below, a bust of male figure holding up both hands.Sola-Khambi (Sat Madhi Temple)
It is located in the Badoh town of Kurwai tehsil. The building Sola-Khambi is situated on the nothern side of a local lake and is flat roofed, open and sixteen pillared building locally known as Sola-Khambi. The building is 7.62 metres square and stands on 1.524 metres high moulded plinth. The building structure indicate belongs to the age of Guptas. At a small distance ahead there are two templesDashavtar Temple and
In the former temple there exit ruins of a group of small Vaishnava shrines and a open pillared hall and the latter is a group of six temples. These were Vaishnavite and Shaivite. One is dedicated to Ganesh. The sculptures found there include three seated Idols of the Buddha.
Sironj, the HeadQuarters of a tehsil of the same name is situated to the northwest of Vidisha, with which it connected by roads on which buses ply regularly. During May 1948 to October 1956, it was a district HeadQuarters town in Rajasthan State. Its nearest Railway Station Kurwai-Kethora on the Bhopal-Bina main line of Central Railway is about 48 km. from Sironj and it is connected by road. The place is also connected by roads with all the other tehsil headQuarters of Vidisha District. The place is famous for the Calicos and Muslin.Jain Images
The oldest known monument as an idol of Chandranath, the eighth Jain Tirthankar found at Dharampur near Sironj. The inscription on this huge image is dated in Vikrama Samvat 1112, corresponding to A. D. 155. The image is about two metres high and is about one metre broad. It was found buried under the ground. When the image was lying half-buried under the ground it was locally known as Kali Telan. Another old object of interest is known as Nisaiya also sacred to the Jains. On excavation at one point the places yielded an old statue of Mahavira, the 24th Jain Tirthankar in a broken condition.Girdhari Temple
The Girdhari Temple situated in the town is assigned to the 11th century A.D. It is known for its sculptures and fine carvings. The temples of Jatashankar and Mahamaya are said to be old and sacred. The former is situated at a distance of about three km. to the South-West of Sironj in forest area. It is said that Tatya Tope of 1857-fame has halted here for some time. The Mahamaya temple is five km. away to the South-West of Sironj. It is situated on a hill. An annual fair is held here.