Morena, also known as Muraina is a town in the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is the headquarters of the division of Chambal. Morena is situated in the Chambal valley. The Chambal which originates in the Indore district forms the north-western boundary of Madhya Pradesh with Rajasthan. The district is drained by the important rivers like Chambal, Kunwari, Asan and Sank. Flowing through the length of 435 kms, the river Chambal is one of the country's most beautiful and least polluted river systems. About 50 percent of the total geographical area is available for cultivation. About 58.74 percent of the cultivable area in the district is irrigated. Canal is the major source of irrigation which accounts for 42.94 percent of the total irrigated area. Wheat is the most important food grain grown in the district. Mustard is the most important oil seed grown in the district. Major kharif crop is Bazra. On the whole Morena district with rich agricultural tract, is in the stage of development. The topography is also gradually changing with the reclamation of ravines for agricultural purpose, through the Chambal Ayacut Development Project. The dubious diction of Morena being region of dacoits, since dacoits have been part of the life in the district, is gradually fading. It is hoped that with the pace of agricultural and Irrigation are taking place Morena will be one of the highly prolific , developed & prosperous district of the State in due course of time.
Morena and Gwalior are the Railway stations on the Delhi-Mumbai railway line. The nearest Aerodrome from Morena headquarters of the Chambal division is Gwalior which is at a distance of 46 kms. from Morena. Morena, the headquarters of the Chambal division stands at the Agra-Bombay National Highway between Gwalior and Agra.
The museum opens for visitors at 10.30 a.m. and closes at 4.30 p.m. It remains closed on every Monday and other govt. holidays. The tourists and research scholars can contact the head of the District Museum for more information in the office hours. Various Galleries in the Museum are :Shiva Gallery
The important Shiva statues are : the statues of Uma Maheshwar, Dubkund Ganesh Sihoniya. They were selected for Shaiva exhibition in France. Besides, there are statues of Ravan Anugraha, Shiv-Parvati, Nritya Ganesh, Bal Ganesh, ShivYogi, Shiv Bhairav, Indra, Ekmukhi Shivliga, Ekmukhi Shiv, Nandi etc.Jain Gallery
The important Jain statues are : the statues of Adinath, Parshwa Nath, Chandra Prabhu Padma Prabhu 24 Thirthankars, Nemi Nath and some other Jain statues. All these statues of big size have been exhibited in the Jain Gallery of the museum.Shakt Gallery
Amongst the Shakt statues the huge statue of Ambika Devi is standing at the entrance of the main hall with a child in her lap. Besides this statue, the statues of Goned Ambika, Sapta Matrika, Nav grahas, Penal gate, Mahishasur Mardini, Matsya Kanya, Yamuna, Ganga etc. have been exhibited in the Shakt Gallery of the museum.
The statues which have been exhibited in the Vividhi gallery of the museum are : Kubera, Apsara, Kalashdharini, statues concerning sex, Mithun, Saraswati, Vidhyadhar nritya dal, Gaj singh, Yuddha, Hirany Kashyap, Shrigar Rath Nayika, Indra-Padmavati, Acanbul Stambh, Singh(Lion).Dhatu Pratima (Statues of Metal)
The statue of Apsara with ornaments in full decoration is a metal statue. The guns made of metal have also been exhibited on both the sides of the entrance gate.Photo and Picture Gallery
In this gallery the photos and pictures of the pre historic age have been displayed. Besides this the material found in the survey and digging of archeological spots have been exhibited in the main hall and both the gardens of the museum. Some of the material have been kept in the store. Most of the statues of this district can be dated from post Gupta period to 11th century A.D.
|Places of Interest around Morena|
|Place||Distance from Morena Headquarter (in Kms.)|
|Kakan Math Temple, Sihoniya||35|
|Padawali (Gupta Period)||25|
|Bateshwar (Pratihar Period)||25|
|Mitawali Chausath Yogini Temple||25|
|Nareshwar (Pratihar Period)||50|
|Nurabad Mughal Monuments||12|
|Dubkund Kacchap Ghat||200|
Sas-Bahu Abhilekh reflects that Suhoniya known as Sihoniya today was the capital of Kushwahas. The Kachwaha kingdom was established in the 11th century between 1015 to 1035 A.D. The Kachwaha king Kirtiraj got a "Shiv Temple erected at Sihoniya. This temple is known as the "Kakan Math" It stand on a spot two miles away from Sihoniya in the north west of Distt. Morena. It is said that Kakanmath was built by king KirtiRaj to fulfill the will of Queen Kakanwati. It is 115 ft. high and is built in the Kajurho style.Jain Temples
Sihoniya is a holy place of the Jains. In the east of the village, there are the ruins of the Jain temples of the 11th century A.D. In these temples there are statues of the Tirthankars such as Shantinath, Kunthnath, Arahanath, Adinath, Parshvnath and others. The main temple has three statues : Shantinath, Kunthnath and Arhanath of 10 to 15 ft. in height.Kutwar
Kuntalpur known as Kutwar is the biggest ancient village of the Chambal valley. It is just like Hastinapur, Rajgraha and Chadi of the Mahabharat period. The ancient Amba or 'Harrisiddhi Devi' temple and a crescent shaped Dam erected on the river Asan are the beautiful visiting spots of Kutwar.Padawali (Gupta Period)
After Naga period, the Gupta empire was established in this area. The 'Gotra' of the emperors of the Gupta dynasty was 'Charan'. 'Gharon' village was inhabited near modern Padawali. Around Gharon there are the ruins of several temples, houses and colonies. This new area of population is known as Padawali because it is surrounded by several hills. Here was a magnificent ancient Vishnu Temple which was later converted into a big 'Garhi'. The terrace, the courtyard and the assembly hall of this temple are the 'epitome' of ancient culture. The standing statue of a Lion on the ruined gate seems to say that there was a time when he used to watch the temple with his companion at its gate. More than fifty monuments of different kinds can be seen at Padawali up to the valley of Bhuteshwar.Mitawali
In the north of Naresar, there are sixty four Yogini temple situated on the hundred feet high mountain. It is a wonderful circular construction of 170 feet radius on the style of Delhi's parliament house. Attached to circular verandah there are sixty four rooms and a big courtyard in the temple. In the centre of the temple there is the circular temple of Lord Shiva.Pahargarh (Cave Paintings in the cave Shelters)
Twelve miles away from Pahargarh in the south east there is a chain of 86 caves and cave shelters. They are said to be contemporary of cave shelters of 'Bhim Baitka' of Bhopal. In the beginning of civilization, people got shelter in these caves. Seeing the scene of men and women, birds and animals, hunting and dancing in the cave paintings it appears as if human art flourished in the valley of Chambal in the pre historic period and it searched undiminishing colours for its expression.Likhichhaj
Amongst many cave shelters on the banks of river Asan there is Likhichhaj which has remained a centre of attraction for a very long period. Likhichhaj means a hill bending onward like a balcony. In its natural pillarless verandah there are many pictures drawn in the mixed colours of geru and khariya. Neechta, Kundighat, Baradeh, Ranideh, Khajura, Keetya, Siddhawali and Hawamahal are other worth visiting caves.Nareshwar-Norar
Jaleshwar of 8 th to 12th century is Norar of today. Here many temples were built. Out of them twenty one temples are still standing on three sides of the mountain. In them Jhankies in the style of pratihar Nagar, and rapid have been exhibited. On the mountain there is a rare tank with stairs which supplies water to all of them. The tank has been made by cutting out the rocks of the mountain. There are some statues of different deities.Nurabad (The Monuments of Mughal Period)
In 1527 A.D. this area came under the control of mughal emperor Babar. Noorabad was founded in the times of Jahangir, the grandson of Babar. The 'Phizi Saraya' in the name of 'Saraya Chhola' and the bridge over the river Kuwari near Piparsa were built by Motimad Khan the sardar of Aurangzeb in the mughal period. The fort like the saray of Noorabad the bridge over the Sank with minerates and the artistic tomb of Gona Begum, the widow of Gyasuddin, the wagir of Alamgir constructed behind the saray are worth visiting. They were famous for their beauty and poetic expression.The Fort Of Sabalgarh
Amongst the monuments of the medieval age the fort of sabalgarh is worth visiting. The beautiful 'Bandh' built behind the fort in the Scindia period has made the whole scene most fascinating. The foundation of Sabalgarh was laid by a 'Gujar' named Sabla in the past. Construction of the fort on a somewhat high cliff was made by Gopal Singh, the Raja of Karoli. Sikandar Lodhi sent a big army to hold control over this strongly built fort. The Marathas in their campaign of northern India again won it and gave it back to the king of Karoli. But in the year 1795 A.D. it was again snatched away from him by Khande Rao whose big house still stands there. During the regime of Lord Vallejali Daulat Rao Scindia (1764-1837) lived in this fort of Gwalior. It was seized by the English in the year 1804-5. In 1809 the area around this fort was added in the kingdom of Scindia.National Chambal Sanctuary
The National Chambal Sanctuary was formed to protect this pristine river ecosystem, complete with its varied flora and avifauna. With its headquarters at Morena, M.P., the Chambal river which is mainstay for the entire wildlife of the sanctuary harbours a variety of aquatic life like the elusive Ganges River Dolphin, Crocodile ( Muggar), Gharial ( Gavelia Gangeticus ), Freshwater Turtles, River Otters and a various species of fishes. All of which can quite easily be seen by tourists within the sanctuary area, especially in the middle reaches in the downside of Rajghat Bridge on National Highway No. 3. The rare Ganges River Dolphin (Platanista Gangetica), the sole member of the Cetaceans group is one of the main attraction of the sanctuary. So called the queen of Chambal, the Dolphins inspite of being blind can be seen pursuing their playful antics in the water while coming out to breathe for air. The Chambal sanctuary is one of their safest breeding areas. And one has to really lucky to sight one while cruising in the Chambal. The surrounding environs of the river are a true bird watchers delight. During the season (November-March) one can see thousands of migratory and resident birds flock at the shores of river. At least 150 species of birds have been identified. Species of birds in abundance are the Bar-headed Geese, Brahmini Duck, Common Teal, Pelicans, Flamingoes and Cormorants. One can have an easy sighting of the Indian Skimmer- the highest population of which in the world is found in Chambal. Tourists to the sanctuary can enjoy its many sights by motor boats specially provided by the Forest Department of Madhya Pradesh. Complete safety within the peripheries of the sanctuary is ensured by the local authorities. And one can freely enjoy the natural wonders of the sanctuary which during the 50's and 60's was largely hidden due to the presence of dacoits. Stringent measures to protect the fragile ecosystem of the sanctuary are followed by the authorities. The visitors are also advised not to disturb, spoil the serenity of the surrounding environs or help in poaching activities directly /indirectly.The Crocodile Centre at Deori, Morena nearby is the only one of its kind in the entire state of Madhya Pradesh and has recently been opened to public. The centre helps breed and rehabilitate Crocodiles and Gharials in the Chambal. The river boasts of a population of over 200 Crocodiles and 1600 Gharials. Active efforts are now to protect the Ganges River Dolphins.
Sheopur is located at northern part of Madhya Pradesh. The important rivers like Chambal, Seep and Kuno drain the district. The Chambal, which originates in the Indore district, forms the northwestern boundary of Madhaya Pradesh with Rajstahan.
The art of woodcarving has flourished in district Sheopur and the beautifully embellished wooden ceilings, doors and lintels with finely carved designs are silent testimonials of its glory. The wood carvers of Sheopur, with great sensitivity and skill transform different varieties of wood. The crafts persons of Sheopur make pipes, masks, toys, doors, stands, windows, wooden memorials, flower vases, bedposts and cradle posts etc.
Sheopur is connected by regular bus services with Gwalior, Morena, Sheopur and Kota. Sheopur is 210 Kms. Away from Gwalior and 230 from Morena.By Train
As with other light railways in the former princely state of Gwalior (now part of the Central Railway in Madhya Pradesh) this 200kms 610mm-guage line was originally sponsored by the Maharaja of Gwalior, reaching Sheopur in 1909.
|Sheopur at a glance|
|Total area||6,66,081 Sqkm|
|Forest Area||2,82,818 Sqkm|
|Net Irri. Area||1,03,295 Sqkm|
|Total Population (0-6 yrs.)||1,10,469|
|Population Growth Rate||3.33|
|Population density (persons/Sq.km)||64|
|Road length per 100 sq kms||10.73|
|Post offices per Lakh population||20|
Kuno wildlife sanctuary, located between latitudes 25degree 30second - 25degree 53second N and longitudes 77degree 07second - 77degree 26second E, is situated in the Sheopur district of north-west Madhya Pradesh. The total area is 344.686 sqkm out of which 313.984 sqkm is forest land and 30.702 sqkm is revenue land in the Sheopur and Vijapur tehsils of Sheopur district. The Palpur (Kuno) wildlife sanctuary was notified vide Government of Madhya Pradesh Forest Department's Notification No. 15/8/79/10/2, Bhopal, dated 16.1.1981. The sanctuary is situated in an isolated hill, sloping in all directions. The general physiography of the terrain is hilly. It comes under the Vindhya series. The sanctuary falls in the semi-arid zone and has a typical terrain of Central Indian highlands, interspersed with woodlands and meadows. The soil is sandy and sandy-loam, showing a spatial variation in depth. River kuno, a a tributary of River Chambal, vertically bisects the sanctuary from north to south. It occupies an area of 5.90 sqkm in the sanctuary. A number of major of major nallahs like Lankahkhoh, Kudikheda, Durredi, Aamkhoh originate from the gorges located on the west, join river Kuno. Similarly, the Dabhona nallah, Naharkunda nallah, Gangoli nallah etc. originating from the eastern khohs, meet the Kuno river at various sites.
The average rainfall in the area is 750 mm per year. The maximum temperature can rise up to 49 degree C while the minimum temperature recorded has been 2 degree C.
All the faunal representatives of the dry deciduous forest of the Central India can be found in Kuno i.e. Panther, Tiger, Chital, Sambhar, Black Deer, Chinkara, Bear, Blue bull, Chausingha, Jungle cat, Barking Deer, Monkey, Jackals, Hyena, Wild Boar, Fox, Kobra, Nag, Python, Peacock, Kala Teetar, Tree pie, Golden orioles, Drongo, Rollers, Jangli, murgi, Phakta, Bhura, Teetar.Flora
The Kuno sanctuary consists of dry deciduous forests interspersed with grasslands. Tree : Kardhai, Gurjan, Kher, Kusum, Gurjan, Mahua, Guner, Haldoo, Kullu, Kahua, Semal, Bahera, Tendu, Palas, Bel, Chind, Anwala, Harsingar, Chind, Satawar; Parasites : Bamdha, Amarbel;Grasses : Doob, Lumpy, Machai, Guner, Ponea, Phulara.
This sanctuary is situated at Vijaypur and Sheopur tehsils in Sheopur district. It is 15 km. from the Sesaipura bus stand on Shivpuri-Sheopur road. It can be approached by bus or taxi from Sesaipura bus stand. It can also be approached from Pohari of district Shivpuri at the distance of 25 km. The sanctuary is situated in an isolated hill, sloping in all directions.Bus Stand : Sesaipura (15 Km)
This district of Madhya Pradesh is geographically known for its Ravines, Fertile land and dense Forests. Bhind was one among the 16 districts of United State of Madhya Bharat which was constituted on 28th May 1948. Subsequently, as a result of reorganization of States in November 1956, district Bhind became part of new Madhya Pradesh. Formerly there were 4 Tehsils viz; Bhind, Mehgoan, Gohad and Lahar but at present there are 7 Tehsils viz; Bhind, Ater, Mehgaon, Gohad, Mihona, Lahar and Raun. As per the history, the District is named after the Bhindi Rishi (Sage Bhindi). With 12,19,000 persons living on an area of 4459 sq km, the district ranks 25th in population ranking in the State having about 2% of the state's population (As per 1991 census). The Sex ratio of the district according to 1991 census is 816.Rural sex ratio is 813 and Urban is 827. The sex ratio is the number of females per 1000 males. The soil of Bhind is very fertile and is well drained by the Chambal and Sind rivers and the tributary streams of the Kunwari and Puhuj. It is well known fact that the region has been subjected to depredations of dacoits, robbers or thugs since ages. The majestic Chambal, surrounded yawning chasms and gaping beehads (ravines) provide an ideal setting to this murky banditry in a big way. Even during Mughal times the powerful administration failed to curb these menace. As many as 216 dacoits were shot dead and 697 arrested in Bhind district alone from 1959 to 1963. Five rivers which flow around the district mainly Pahuj, Sindh, Kunwari, Chambal and Yamuna meet together in an area of 2 kms named as "PACHNADA" the place just neighboring to the district are actually located in U.P. but this is a rare phenomenon where five rivers confluence at one juncture.
It was built by Bhadauria King Badan Singh, Maha Singh and Bakhat Singh in the era 1664-1668 after them the area is known as "BADHWAR". It is located deep inside the ravines of Chambal. Now it is in a dilapidated condition. The main attractions of the fort are 'Khooni Darwaza', 'Badan Singh Ka Mahal', 'Hathiapor', 'Raja Ka Bangla', 'Rani Ka Bangla' and 'Barah Khamba Mahal'. It is located 35 Kms in west of the Bhind city. Transportation is available from 6 Am to 4 Pm. One can go by bus or jeep which are easily available from the Bus stand/ Ater Road. Another fort situated in the Bhind city was also built by Bhadoriya King to keep control over rebellions in the era 1654-1684. During Scindia reign Darbar hall was constructed in which at present a museum is conducted by District Archeological Association Bhind (M.P).Vankhandeshwar Temple
It is located in Bhind town. It is a Shiv Mandir built by the the king, Prithviraj Chauhan in 1175 AD. It is told that "Jyoti" is continously flamed since then.The Jain Temples of Baranso
Located on Bhind Gwalior Road, these are the old temples, it is told that even Lord Mahavir Swami visited this area. These are 5 Km south east of Bhind and tanga or personal vehicle are the only available means of transport.Mata Renuka Temple at Jamdara
It is located in Gohad Tehsil near Mau and is told as the birthplace of Maharshi Parashuram. Folklore linked to Parashuram is that his father ordered to cut the head of Mother Renuka which he complied with and as a prize asked for revival of the dead Mother which Maharshi Jamdagini, his father solicited. The temple was built at the place of this activity. In the temple the idol of Deity Mother Renuka with a separated head is there in the temple.Naraddev Temple
It is a Shiv Temple located on the banks of river Sindh. It is old and Maharshi Narad worshipped here. It is being renovated.The fort of Gohad
It was built by Jat Kings Maha Singh in 16th century .The fort is dilapidated but a Mahal is still housing several Government offices. The fine carvings of Mahal is still worth viewing. The 'Kachhari Mahal' is a unique example of the Iranian Art. One can reach there by bus.Pawai wali Mata It is a 300 years old temple. Rekola ki Mata at Daboh It is of much importance in the area. Hanuman Temple, Dadrauwa
It is of prime importance in the district and people have a faith for medicinal blessings of the god Hanuman. The God is known as Surgical Hanumanji. It is not an old temple. transportation means available are Bus and Jeep from Mehgaon Bus stand.Hanuman Temple at Kanksi It is located in Lahar Tehsil at Lahar Alampur Road. It is not too old temple. People have great faith in it. Bhindi Rishi Temple
This temple is named after Rishi Bhindi originally known as Bhibhandak who was contemporary to Mahabharat period. It is said that Pandavas came to Bhibhandak Rishi Ashram during their 'Agayatvaas'. The legend goes that Raja Pareekshit who visited the place of worship of Rishi Bhindi in the influence of "Kalyug" which was about to come, garlanded Rishi by a dead snake and Rishi then cursed the king that he would die after the bite of snake. Ultimately Raja Pareekshit died after the bite of 'Nag Takshak' and the era named as 'Kalyug' started.Ram Temple at Rawatpura
It is a new place of worship established in the district. People have great faith in the head priest Rawatpura Maharaj ji. The place is located 16 km. far from Tehsil Head Quarters. A large number of visitors from several states of India visit this place. It is built by Shri Ravi Shankar Maharaja popular saint of the area.Madhya Pradesh Government has patronized following monuments. Shiv Mandir Daang Located at Tehsil Gohad Fort Of Gohad Located at Tehsil Gohad Ancient Spot Amah Located at Daboh, Lahar Madhya Pradesh Government has issued first notification for declaring following Monuments as protected ones 1. Fort & Darbaar Hall of Bhind