Ashoknagar is located on the northern-eastern part of Malwa Platue between Parbati and the Betwa. Mathematically the District is situated between the latitude 24.34 N and longitude 77.43 E . The eastern and western boundaries of the District are well defined by the rivers. The Betwa flows along the eastern boundary separating from Sagar District, and Lalitpur and Jhansi District of Uttar Pradesh. The Parbati is the main river flowing along the western boundary. Chanderi is famous for its exquisite and delicate muslin industry is a part of the district. Ashoknagar District is divided into four tehsils and has population of 6889920 spread over area of 4673.94 sq.Km. The details of the Block wise population & Area as shown in Table -
|Ashonagar district at a glance|
|Area under cultivation||295341 hectares|
Chanderi fort is situated on a hill 71 meter above the town . The fortification walls were constructed mainly by the Muslim rulers of Chanderi. The main approach to present fort is through a series of three gates the uppermost of which is known as Hawa Paur and lowermost is called the Khuni Darwaja or the gate of blood. The peculiar name is derived from the fact that criminals were executed at this point by hurling them from the battlements above and thus dashing their bodies into pieces at foot. Within the fort there are only two ruined buildings the Hawa and Nau-Khanda Mahals built by Bundela Chiefs. The most beautiful spot of the fort is a rest house on the northern ridge, from where a charming view of the town below the country-side may be obtained. To the south West of Fort there is a curious gateway called katti-ghatti made through hill side. It is 59 meter long 12 meter broad and 24.6 meter high in the middle of its portion of the rock has been view into the shape of a gate, with a points arch, flanked by a slopping towers.Kaushak Mahal Chanderi
The Kaushak Mahal of Chanderi is referred to in Tawarikh-i-Ferishta. It is recorded in it that, in A.H. 849(CAD 1445). Mehmood Shah Khilji of Malwa was passing through Chanderi. He ordered a seven storied palace to be built there. Kaushak Mahal is outcome of that order. It is an imposing building of some grandeur, though standing in a half ruined condition. To the south, east and north of the town are situated, well maintained palaces of Ramnagar, Panchamnagar and Singhpur respectively. All are built by Bundela Chiefs of Chanderi in the 18th Century.Anandpur
"Shri Anandpur Sahib" , one of the glorious religious place is about 30 Km from the district HQ Ashoknagar forms the part of Issagarh Tehsil. The institution is influenced by "Advate Mat " . The founder of this institution was Shri Advat Andand ji . He is also known as Maharaj Paramhans Dayal ji. The place is well surrounded with greenery and natural beauty. The Ashram is situated at near the ranges of "Vindhyachal Mountain" and is the centre of attraction for its glorious building and pollution free environment. The development of Anandpur started away back in 1939 and continued till 1964. The institution was established as " Shri Anandpur Trust" on 22nd April, 1954. Most of its development took place during "Shri Fourth" & "Shri Fifth Padshai". "Shri Anand Shanti Bhavan" the main part of the monument is constructed with pure white marble. The pillar can be seen away from this place. The "Satsang.Bhavan" is a huge and attractive place of the monument. It is the centre of attraction for the devotees. The place is a beauty to watch during the autumn season when the garden is full of colorful flowers spread all over the way. The rest house is available for the tourist who come here from the far flung area. There is facility of Hospital, School, Post office, etc.
Kadwaya a small village of Ashoknagar tehsil contains a number of temples. One of these temples has been constructed in the 10th century in Kachhapaghata style of architecture. It has its garbha-griha (sanctum), antaral and mandapa. The temple contains short pilgrimis records of A.D. 1067 and 1105. Another interesting but old temple of Kadwaya is known as Chandal math. The village possesses a ruined monastery, from a very old record was picked up which it is stated that to monestor was build to house some members of Shaiva sect known as Matta Mourya. During Akbar's reign Kadwaya was the headquarters of a mahal in the Gwalior's sarkar of the subah of Agra.
The district is bounded on the North by Morena, Gwalior and Datia districts, on the East by Jhansi district of U.P, on the West by Kota district of Rajasthan and on the South by Guna district. The district headquarter Shivpuri is located on NH-3 (Agra-Bombay National Highway) at a 113 Km from Gwalior and 98 Km from Guna. The district is mostly laid out over small hill tops covered with deciduous forests where the slope is gentle with verdant vegetation and good forests round about, the landscape is generally pleasing. There are four main rivers namely The Parwati, The Sindh, The Kuno and The Betwa, which pass through the district. The Parwati is a tributary of Sindh River and joins it near Pawaya in Gwalior district .It is perennial but not navigable. The Sindh enters from Guna district and flowing north for a while than towards east forming the boundary between Gwalior and Datia districts and finally flows through Bhind to join the Chambal. The Kuno is tributary of the Chambal. It flows north from Shivpuri district to Morena and joins the Chambal. The Betwa or Vetravati rises in Raisen district and flows through Raisen, Vidisha, Guna, Shivpuri and Jhansi districts. Mata Tila Dam is across this river. The species of trees commonly found in the district are Khair, Kardhai, Dhow, Salaj, Tendu, Palas, Mahua, Karch, Karey, Saja, Koha, Jamun, Saj.Dhaman Kaim, Semal, Tinach and Amaltas. The normal height of a tree is about 15O to 20O and the width is 40 cm to 50 cm. Wild life has been steadily declining in the district, due to indiscriminate shooting and cutting of forests. In ancient times the forests were thick and a good number of animals could be seen. The district has a national park where a good number of animals can be watched and admired. The following animals are still found. Nahar tiger (Felis tigris), tendua-panther (pelis pardus), ladaya jackal (Cummins aurens), lakkad baggha hyena (Hyena striata), Bhalu, Sloth bear (Melxerus ursinus), Sambhar (Carvas unicolar), suar, wild bear (Sus crislatus), Lomdi-fox (Vulpes bengaleneis), Chinkara (Gasells benetti), Kala Hiran-black buck (Antelope cervicapra) and Langur black faced monkeys (Semli petheous entellus). Among the main common birds, the following are found the common Myna, Shikra Hawk, The common Crow, The commons gray house Crow and all black crows, the harival green Pigeon, the Grey jungle fowl, The Mor-Peacock, Jungle bush Quail and bustard Quail.
Shivpuri has a cool and dry climate .The hot weather starts from about the middle of April and lasts up to mid of May. The temperature in June touches 42o C. By the end of June or by the 1st week of July, the monsoon breaks and the weather becomes cool, through humid. The district receives its rains from the Arabian Sea. The rains are over generally by end of September. Shivpuri receives on an average 875 mm of rain.The district can be bifurcated into three main divisions based on its geology :
It comprises mostly Pre-Dharwarian granites, which consists of sparsely cultivated uplands and shallow valley. It covers eastern half of the district with an area of 1,539 Sq. miles (3985.99 Sq. Kms.) approximately.The Upper Vindhyas
Sandstone's of Kaimur Rewa and Bhander are commonly found in this region. The dips are very shallow and this suggests that there has been a very little disturbance since Vindhyan period. This region occupies the western half of the district.The Deacon Trap
It mainly constitutes undulating plains and flat topped ranges of the hill. It covers an area of 426 sq. miles (1103.34 Sq. Kms.) towards the southern parts of the district viz.- towards Bhadarwas, Barokra Laterite and Aluminum are also found in the region and cover an area of 374.80 Sq. miles (968.66 sq. kms).
Shivpuri is mainly an agricultural district and so cultivation is the main occupation of the people .The dependence on cultivation can be viewed from the fact that 83.38 percent of the total workers of district are engaged in agriculture either as cultivators (70.40%) or as agriculture laborers (12.98%). Rice, Jowar, Bajra, Maize, Wheat and Barley are the main cereal crops. Gram & Tur (Arhar) are the main pulses grown in the district, Sugarcane, condiments and spices; sesame (til) and linseed are other crops of the district.
Shivpuri is connected by regular bus services with Gwalior, Indore, Bhopal, Jhansi and Ujjain. Shivpuri is 120 Km away from Gwalior on Agra Mumbai Road and 90 Km away from Jhansi.By Train
Nearest main railheads from Shivpuri are at Jhansi ( 101 Kms ) and Gwalior ( 120 Kms ) which are on the Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Chenni main lines. However, Shivpuri has its own railway station and the trains passes through shivpuri are :Indore-Dehradun via Delhi ( By Weekly).
The nearest airport to Shivpuri is Gwalior. This airport is well connected with Delhi, Bhopal, Indore and Mumbai.
|District Shivpuri at a glance (As per 2001 census)|
|Area||10298 Sq. Kilometers|
|Forest Area||18139 Hectare|
|Cultivated land Area||409264 Sq. Kilometers|
|Latitude||24.6 - 25.6 degrees|
|Sea level||Height 521.5|
|Population Growth per decade||30.84%|
|Road Length||1496 Kilometers|
|Pucaa Road||1256 Kilometers|
|Kaccha Road||240 Kilometers|
|No. Of Electrified Villages||1280|
Madhav National Park lies between Agra-Bombay road and Jhansi-Shivpuri Road. It is spread over an area of 157.58 Sq. Kms. A drive through the park watching animals is very exhilarating experience. The Park is heaven for wildlife and wildlife - buffs. The park remains open throughout the year and boasts of large numbers of chinkara, Indian gazelle and chital. The nilgai, sambar, chausingha, blackbuck, sloth bear, leopard and the common langur are the other inhabitants of the sprawling park. The national park is equally rich in bird life; Chandpata, the artificial lake, is the winter abode of migratory geese, pochard, pintail, teal, mallard and gadwall. Other residents include the cormorant, laggar falcon, paradise flycatcher and golden oriole. Loud cracking notes of whitebreasted kingfisher flying past, harsh crocking of grey heron or quacking of spotbill duck and numerous lesser whistling teals resting at the bank of lake with a leg tucked away and head folded back in to the body; and cheetal grazing here or nilgiri browsing there in the forest, add to the charm. The dynamism of the dry deciduous forest at the Park is unbelievable. Soothing lush green, impenetrable vegetation all over during the monsoon wither to desolate brown and Grey in summer, It nevertheless remains full of life Indeed, Madhav National Park is an oasis in the midest of habitation and cultivation.Tiger Safari
A pair of tigers from Bhopal Van Vihar tigress Tara and Petu - each about 3 years old, were introduced in the Madhav National Park in fenced 140 hectare well preserved pocket, in October 1989. All the cubs of first litter died soon after birth. The second litter of one male and two females in August 1991 fared well. In April 1993 the pair bred for the third time giving birth to 4 female cubs, all in good health. In November 1995, Tara gave birth to 4 more cubs - 2 male and 2 female. Now the total number of tigers in the safari is 12. The Safari provides a good opportunity to visitors to observe the tigers at close range.Chhatries (cenotaphs)
Shivpuri is famous for graceful, intricately embellished Marble chhatries (cenotaphs) erected by Scindia Princess. Set in an elaborate Mughal Garden, are the cenotaphs, the royal Chhatries dedicated to Scindias. Facing each other across a water tank are the Chhatries of Madhav Rao Scindia and dowager queen Maharani Sakhya Raje Scindia, in a delighful fusion of Hindu and Islamic architectural styles, with their shikhara - type spires and Rajput and Mughal pavilions. Ceremonially attired retainers, with flowers and incense tend to both cenotaph house life-size images of the Scindias, and these religiously, daily.Madhav Vilas Palace
The summer palace of the Scindias, Madhav Vilas Palace, looks intensely alluring, dressed in soft shade of rose-pink. The MAHAL as it is popularly known, is attired with marble floors, elegant terraces and a Ganapati Mandap. From the turrets, one can get a splendid view of Shivpuri town and Madhav National Park itself. Now this grand palace has converted in to the training "center" of Intelligence Bureau of Government of India, which is among the few training "center"s of Intelligence Buearo.George Castle
Deep inside the Madhav National Park, at its highest point stands the George Castle built by Jiwaji Rao Scindia. The ideal time to visit the castle is at sunset, when Sakhya Sagar Lake seems to take the radiance and changing hues of the sky. The castle located at the central region of the Park provides a wonderful panoramic view of Sakhya Sagar and the spread of the forest around. It is interesting to note that the grand George Castle was built by the Gwalior royalty for an overnight halt for tiger shooting by British King Geroge V, while he was to pass that way during his visit to India in 1911. It so happened that King could shoot a tiger on the way itself and did not stop at Madhav National Park.Sakhya Lake and Boat Club
Sakhya Sagar and Madhav Sagar, created on Manier river in 1918, are two important bio-diversity support systems in the Park besides several perennial and seasonal streams and nalls. A reptile hideout, Marsh crocodile, Indian Python and monitor lizard are some lakes known occupants at the few yards of entrance of Madhav National Park. On the shores of the lake and connected to it by a broad pier is a boat club, an airy and delicate structure with glass panels. The boat club is also known as Sailing Club. Just stand by the railing of Sailing Club deck extending in to Sakhya Sagar and watch. The view of massive lake all around and the undulating, forested Vindhyachal hills beyond is mesmerizing. Now a days the boating has been banned keeping in view the safety of lives of tourists.Narwar fort
Narwar fort is 41 Kms away from Shivpuri. It is remarkable fortress atop a hill. Kuchhwaha Rajputs built the fort. The famous king Raja Man Singh and his beautiful wife Mragnayani made a historic event. The novel Mragnayani by famous story write Sh. Vrindavan Lal Sharma and sop opera with the same name was based on the love story of this region. Mragnayani was also known as Gujri Rani. Still the fort is worth seeing.
It is picnic spot in rainy season. It is a natural spring, of which water contains high minerals and it is of curative nature. The greenery around the Kund gives pleasure to enjoy the holiday.Tatya Tope Memorial
The great freedom fighter of Indian National Movement Tatya Tope was active in this region in his lifetime. English arrested him and the court case was heard here. On 14 April 1854.and case was heard here and sentenced to death at this place. His grand statue attracts the tourist for important role of Tatya Tope and recalls his contribution towards the modern India.Survaya ki Garhi
Survaya ki Garhi is 20 Km away from Shivpuri on Shivpuri-Jhansi Road. There is an old temple of lord Shiva and a beautiful water source. The Garhi has a big auditorium of stone. It is a famous historical place of old times. The Garhi has its charm for its old structure.Bhoora Khon
It is a small but beautiful waterfall with the deities of Lord Shiva. The park and boat club adds the glory. In old times, this was the spot joining Sailing Club of National Park. In English time, the viewers enjoy the boat sailors and view of Madhav Sagar lake. The water fall from a height of more than 25 meters gives the pleasure of swimmers with jump in to deep kund.Banganga
This is one of the ancient time holy places of Shivpuri. It is said that Arjun take out the water from the earth by his arrow to quench the thirst of Bhisam Pitamah at the time of Mahabharat. There are 52 Kund here. The people visit here with a religious mind.District Museum
The museum has a large collection of archeological statues of old time, which were found during the excavation in Shivpuri and nearby places. The beautiful works of old times proved that this region was the main activity point of Jain culture. The big human size statues vary of many god and goddess in various postures.Sidheshwar Temple
It is an old temple of lord Vishnu. The big statue of Lord Vishnu is made of huge single stone, which shows the ancient culture and architecture. There are other statues of other lords as Ganeshji, Shiva, Parvati, Laxmi, Dattatrey, Sriram, Krishan etc. The annual mela is also organized at this holy place at the time of Mahashivrati. The shops of different kind come from all around the region and other states also. The local people and others enjoy the occasion for days.Sultangarh Falls
It is very beautiful picnic spot in rainy season. The heavy and waterfall in rainy season pays immense pleasure and the greenery around adds the charm of the nature. It is 50 kms away from Shivpuri. It is natural fall of Parvati River that falls from hill from height.Son Chiryiya bird sanctuary
Son Chiryiya bird sanctuary is famous for rare bird species Son Chirya. However the number of birds are decreasing, but the efforts are on full swing to save this rare beautiful bird. It is about 20 Kms. from Shivpuri at Karera.Khokhai Math of Rannod
These are famous maths of old times. The maths are 65 Km away from Shivpuri in dense forest and an important religious place of Lord Shiva.Mohini Pik up Wear
It is a beautiful picnic spots about 50 Km away from Shivpuri on the way to Narwar. The beautiful sight seen from the top of the height gives a rare look, with the water flowing and dam site. The glass house is a valuable and great spot to see the view in rainy season.Pawa Water Falls
It is a beautiful waterfall in Pohri, which is 40 Km away to Shivpuri. Here is grand statue of lord Shiva. There is Pawa Kund that is 500 feet deep on the Pawa river. The hills around the kund add the natural beauty of the attractive place. It is a very religious place and worth seeing in Shivpuri. The famous saying is that the desire is fulfilled while visiting this holy place.
|Datia District at a glance :|
|Geographical Area||2691 Sq km|
|Latitude||25 deg 28" North |
26 deg 20" North
|Longitude||78 deg 10" East |
78 deg 45" East
|Height Above Sea Level||218 M|
|Average Rain Fall 1999-2000||1036.00 mm|
|No of Panchayats||250|
|No of Blocks/ Tehsils||3|
|No of Assembly Segments||3|
|No of Nagarpalikas||1|
|Single Lamp Connections||17556|
|Krasi Upaj Mandis||3|
|Fair Price Shops Rural||157|
|No of Police Stations||15|
|No of Police Chokies||15|
|No of Patwari Circles||204|
|No of R.I Circles||9|
|No of Railway Stations||4|
|No of Post Offices||127|
|No of Telegraph Offices||6|
|P.H.C & Mini P.H.C||12|
|Sub Health "center"s||87|
Peetambra Peeth is located near the city. Peetambra Peeth is the famous "Sakti-Peeth" of the country. Sh. Golokwasi Swamiji Maharaj established "Bagla Mukhi Devi" and "Dhumawati Mai" at this place. Vankhandeshwar Temple at Peetambra-Peeth is one of "Mahabharat-Kaleen temple of Shiva."Sonagiri-Temples
Sonagiri is a famous pilgrimage of the Jains, who come in large numbers annually to worship at these beautiful temples. There are more than One Hundred temples and attract visitors and tourists from distant places. Sonagir is located at 15 Km from Datia and is connected by Road and Train.Unao-Balaji Sun Temple
Unao is seventeen kilometers from Datia Headquarters. Balaji Temple is very old temple is said to date from Pre-Historic times. People from very distant places flock to the Balaji Sun Temple on pilgrimage. There is a tank in the vinicity said to contain sacred water and is the popular belief that lepers who take a bath in these waters are cured of their terrible affliction. This is also known as Balaji-Dham. Unao is connected by road only.Satkhanda-Mahal
Satkhanda-Mahal was built by King Veer Singh Joo Dev Bundela (1605-1627) of Orchha State. Mahal is Seven Stories and is famous for Bundeli Architecture. This is also known as "Old Mahal", "Hawa-Mahal" and "Keerti-Mahal".Rajgarh Palace & Museum
Rajgarh Palace is located near Peetambra-Peeth was built by King Shatrujit Bundela. Palace is made of Bundeli Archetecture. Museum is also located this place and is collection of Geological & Cultural Importance things.Gujarra Gujarra is 17 Km. from Datia and is famous for "Ashoka's Shilalekh".
This place is known as Chhoti Badoni and is located about 10 Km from Datia City. There are Guptkalin temples of "Boddh" and "Jain" Religion and famous for Bundeli Architecture "Fort" and "Hawelies".Seondha
Seondha is located 70 Km from Datia and is connected by road only. This Tehsil Headquarter is famous for Water fall on Sindh River, Kanhargarh Fort, and Nandan temple. At fifteen kilometers from Seondha there is famous temple of "Ratangarh Mata" Temple. This temple is located in dense forest.Bhander
Bhander is located 30 Km from Datia. Bhander is recently merged as 3rd Tehsil in Datia District. Mahabharat period name of Bhander was "Bhandakpur" and famous for Son-Tallaiya, Laxman Mandir and Old Fort.Botonical Garden
This is located on Datia-Bhander road at 5 Km. This place is developed by Forest Department and is dense forest as well as natural place.Temples
In Datia City there are lot of beautiful temples. Datia is known as "Laghu Vrindaban" some of these are "Avadh Bihari Temple", "Shivgir Temple", "Vijay-Raghav Temple", "Govind Temple", and "Bihariji Temple".Pancham Kavi Ki Toriya This natural and beautiful place is located 4 Km from Datia and is famous for "Bhairav Temple".
This place is famous for "Hanuman Temple" and is located 8 Km from Datia on the very high Place having about 350 stepsGuna District
Guna - the district of Madhya Pradesh, is the gateway of Malwa & Chambal is located on the north-eastern part of Malwa Plateau, on the bank of river Parbati. The western boundary of the District is well defined by the river Parbati. The Parbati is the main river flowing along the western boundary touching Rajgarh District of M.P. and Jhalawarh and Kota District of Rajasthan. Shivpuri & Kota are located in north where as Vidisha, Bhopal, and Rajgarh lies to the South. The total area of District is 6484.63 sq.Km. and situated between the radiameters 23'53" N and 25'6'55 N and langumate 76.48' 30"E and 78', 16'70"E. Guna District is divided into five tehsils and has population of 838926.Gwalior district
Gwalior district Gwalior district is bounded by the districts of Bhind to the northeast, Datia to the east, Shivpuri to the south, Sheopur to the east, and Morena to the northwest. The district has a population of 1,629,881 (2001 census) with an area of 5,214 sq km which is 26% increase from 1991 census. Gwalior division includes the districts of Ashoknagar, Bhind, Datia, Guna, Gwalior, Morena, Sheopur, and Shivpuri.
The district is mostly a relatively level plain. This plain, though broken in its southern portion by low hills, has generally an elevation of only a few hundred feet above sea-level. In the summer season the climate is very hot, the shade temperature rising frequently to 112 F., but in the winter months (from November to February inclusive) it is usually temperate and for short periods extremely cold.Gwalior City
At the heart of Gwalior is its fortress, one of the most formidable in India. It occupies an isolated rock outcrop, and is surrounded by high walls which enclose buildings from several periods. the old town of Gwalior lies at the eastern base of the fortress. Lashkar, formerly a separate town that originated as a military camp, lies to the south, and Morar, also a formerly separate town, lies to the east. Gwalior, Lashkar and Morar are presently part of Gwalior Municipality. Historically and architecturally, Gwalior is interesting first as a very ancient seat of Jain worship; secondly for its example of palace architecture of the best Hindu period (1486-1516); and thirdly as an historic fortress.The Old Town
The old town of Gwalior, which is of considerable size, but irregularly built, lies at the eastern base of the rock. It contains the tomb of the Sufi saint Mahommed Ghaus, erected during the early part of Mughal emperor Akbar's reign, and the tomb of Mian Tansen, a great singer and one of the 'Nine Jewels' of Akbar's court. Close to the heart of the city is splendid Jai Vilas Palace, patterned on the French palace of Versailles. The town has a museum situated in the Gujari Mahal.Lashkar
Lashkar is derived from the Persian lashkar, meaning army, or camp, as it was originally the camp, and later the permanent capital, of Sindhia at Gwalior. Jivaji Chowk is the central focus of Lashkar, with a large square, a former opera house, banks, tea, coffee and juice stands and a municipal market building. Thriving bazaars surround the chowk. Many Shopes of Jwellery situated near Jiwaji Chowk. 10 km in north a source of water for The City "Tighra"Morar
Morar, formerly a separate town, lies three miles east of the old city. It was formerly a British military cantonment and residence of a political agent, but in 1886, when the fortress of Gwalior was restored to the Sindhia, the troops at Morar were withdrawn to Jhansi, and the extensive barracks were likewise made over to Sindhia. In the Revolt of 1857 Morar was the scene of the most serious uprising in Central India. By 1900 it is a centre for local trade and had an important tanning industry, with a population of 19,179 in 1901. 2nd Temple of Sun in India is situated in Morar At Residency Road after The Konark...Sun Temple. Cantt Area makes a large area of Morar which is official residence of Indian Army. It has many canteens for Army Personals.
Gwalior is on the Central Railway's main Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Chennai lines. Among other major trains, the Shatabdi and the Taj Express connect Gwalior with Delhi and Agra daily.By Road
Gwalior is connected by regular bus service with Agra, Mathura, Jaipur, Delhi, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Bhopal, Chanderi, Indore, Jhansi, Khajuraho, Rewa, Jabalpur, Ujjain and Shivpuri.
The fort of Gwalior, within which a number of historic buildings are situated, stands on an isolated rock. The face is perpendicular and where the rock is naturally less precipitous it has been scarped. Its greatest length from northeast to southwest is 2.4 km, and the greatest breadth 900 820 m. The rock attains its maximum height of 342 ft. at the northern end. A rampart, accessible by a steep road, and farther up by huge steps cut out of the rock, surrounds the fort. The citadel stands at the northeastern corner of the enclosure, and presents a very picturesque appearance with interesting tiles with symbolic images. There are several remarkable Hindu temples within the fort. One, known as the Sas Bahu, is beautifully adorned with bas-reliefs. It was finished in 1093, and, though dilapidated, is still picturesque. Another temple in the fortress of Gwalior is called the Teli-ka-Mandir, or "Oilman's Temple." This building was originally dedicated to Vishnu, but afterwards converted to the worship of Siva. It has an unusual configuration: shrine-like in that it has a sanctuary only; no pillared pavilions or mandapa; and a Buddhist barrel-vaulted roof on top of a Hindu temple. An older Jain temple has been used as a mosque. A striking part of the Jain remains at Gwalior is a series of caves or rock-cut sculptures, excavated in the rock on all sides, and numbering nearly a hundred, great and small. Most of them are mere niches to contain statues, though some are cells that may have been originally intended for residences. One curious fact regarding them is that, according to inscriptions, they were all excavated within the short period of about thirty-three years, between 1441 and 1474. One of the colossal figures is 57 ft (17 m) high, which is taller than any other in northern India. Within the fort are some marvels of medieval architecture. The 15th century Gujari Mahal is a monument to the love of Raja Mansingh Tomar for his Gujar queen, Mrignayani. After he had wooed and won her, so the story goes, Mrignayani demanded that he build her a separate palace with a constant water supply from the River Rai, via an aqueduct. The outer structure of the Gujari Mahal has survived in an almost total state of preservation; the interior has been converted into an Archaeological Museum. Also built by Raja Mansingh is the Man Mandir Palace, built between 1486 and 1517. Within, the palace rooms stand bare, stripped of their former glory, mute testimony to the passing of the centuries. Vast chambers with fine stone screens were once the music halls, and behind these screens, the royal ladies would learn music from the great masters of the day. Below, circular dungeons once housed the state prisoners of the Mughals. The Emperor Aurangzeb had his brother, Murad, imprisoned, and later executed, here. Close by is Jauhar Pond, where in the Rajput tradition, the 'ranis' committed mass 'sati' after their consorts had been defeated in battle. Though the major portions of the Fort were built in the 15th century, references to this gigantic complex can be traced back to 425 AD. Older than the city is the Suraj Kund within the Fort walls, the original pond where Suraj Sen, or Suraj Pal as he was later known, was cured by the Saint Gwalipa. Another landmark is the historic Gurudwara Data Bandhi Chhod built in the memory of Guru Hargobind Sahib, the 6th Sikh Guru who was imprisoned here by Jehangir for over two years. At the time of his release, he wanted 52 Hindu kings who were his fellow prisoners, released with him. Jehangir was very impressed with the Guru and agreed to his condition. And, finally, within the Fort complex, housed in the erstwhile barracks of the British soldiers, is Gwalior's unique gift to modern India : Scindia School. Acknowledged as one of the finest schools in India, it is only fitting that the country's young citizens receive the best educational grounding surrounded by monuments to a past which is a constant inspiration.Jai Vilas Palace
A splendour of a different kind exists in the Jai Vilas Palace, current residence of the Scindia family. Some 35 rooms have been made into the Scindia Museum, and in these rooms, so evocative of a regal lifestyle, the past comes alive. Jai Vilas is an Italianate structure which combines the Tuscan and Corinthian architectural modes. The imposing Darbar Hall has two central chandeliers, weighing a couple of tonnes, and hung only after ten elephants had tested the strength of the roof. Ceilings picked out in gilt, heavy draperies and tapestries, fine Persian carpets, and antique furniture from France and Italy are features of these spacious rooms. Eyecatching treasures include a silver train with cut-glass wagons which served guests as it chugged around on miniature rails on the tables; a glass cradle from Italy used for the baby Krishna each Janamashtami; silver dinner services and swords that were once worn by Aurangzeb and Shah Jehan. There are, besides, personal momentos of the past members of the Scindia family: the jewelled slippers that belonged to Chinkoo Rani, four-poster beds, gifts from practically every country in the world, hunting trophies and portraits. The Scindia Museum offers an unparalleled glimpse into the rich culture and lifestyle of princely India. Open everyday except Monday from 10 am to 5 pm. Entry fees are Rs. 20/- for Indian and Rs. 100/- for foreign visitors.Tansen's Tomb
The father of Hindustani classical music, the great Tansen, one of the 'nine Jewels' of Akbar's court, lies buried in Gwalior. The memorial to this great musician has a pristine simplicity about it, and is built in the early Mughal architectural style. More than a monument, the Tansen's Tomb is part of Gwalior's living cultural heritage; it is the venue of a music festival on a national scale held annually in November-December. Leading musicians of the country gather here to give performances during the festival.Ghous Mohammed mausoleum
The sandstone mausoleum of the Afghan prince, Ghous Mohammed, is also designed on early Mughal lines. Particularly, exquisite are the screens which use the pierced stone technique, as delicate as lace.
The earliest freedom fighters, Tatya Tope and the indomitable Rani of Jhansi, are commemorated in memorials in Gwalior. There are cenotaphs at major public crossings, memorials to Scindia kings and queens. Throughout the city, there are these reminders of a proud past, of the great men and women of Gwalior who have their place in the nation's roll of honour.
It houses rare antiquities, some of them dating back to the 1st century AD. Even though many of these have been defaced by the iconoclastic Mughals, their perfection of form has survived the ravages of time. Particularly worth seeing is the statue of Shalbhanjika from Gyraspur, the tree goddess, epitome of perfection in miniature. The statue is kept in the custody of the museum's curator, and can be seen on request. The museum is open every day except Monday, from 10 am to 5 pm.The Kala Vithika
The old ancestral house of the legendry Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan has recently been converted into 'Sarod Ghar' - Museum of Music by the Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan Memorial Trust under the patronage and guidance of his great son and sarod maestro Ustad Amzad Ali Khan. The museum has been rebuilt keeping in mind the old traditional architecture of Gwalior and houses in it ancient instruments of the great Indian Masters of yesteryears.Gwalior Zoo
Open every day from 8 am to 3 pm, has some rare species of Indian wildlife kept in natural surroundings.
69 km from Gwalior, on the Delhi-Chennai main line, Datia is a town whose antiquity can be traced back to the Mahabharata. A town of great historic significance, Datia's seven-storeyed palace built entirely of stone and brick by Raja Bir Singh Deo in 1614, is considered to be one of the finest examples of Bundela architecture in the country. Within the palace are some fine wall paintings of the Bundela school. An interesting blending of cultures can be seen in the frescoes in a temple; Datia's other attraction is its imposing Gopeshwar Temple.Sonagiri
This sacred Jain hill lies 3 km to the North West of Datia and is 5 km from the railway station. There are 77 Jain temples, built in rows on the hill and its slopes, and date back to the 17th century. Of these the temple dedicated to Chandranatha, the 8th of the 24 Tirthankaras, is quite a large one and the most beautiful. A large annual fair is held here in the month of Chaitra (April).Pawaya
Known as Padmavati in ancient times is a fascinating complex of ruins, 68 km away, on the Gwalior-Jhansi road. Pawaya's ruins still bear testimony to the days when it was the capital of the Nag Kings, in 3 AD. Particularly noteworthy is the lifesize statue of Chaksha Manibhadra of 1 AD. The ruins of the medieval fort built by the Parmars and the nearby Dhoomeshwar Mahadeo temple are Pawaya's other attractions.Tigra Dam
Flowing through a total length of 435 kms. National Chambal Sanctuary is in three states of M.P, U.P and Rajasthan. The River Chambal is one of the country's most beautiful and least polluted river systems. The National Chambal sanctuary was formed to protect this pristine river ecosystem, complete with its varied flora, aquatic life and avifauna. The Chambal River which is the mainstay for the entire wildlife of the sanctuary harbours a variety of aquatic life like the elusive Ganges River Dolphin, Crocodile (muggar), Gharial (Gavelia Gangeticus), Freshwater Turtles, River Otters and a various species of fishes. All of which can quite easily be seen by tourists within the sanctuary area, specially in the middle reaches in the downside of Rajghat Bridge on National Highway No. 3. The rare Ganges River Dolphin (platanista Gangetica), the sole member of the cetaceans group is one of the main attraction of the sanctuary. So called the Queen of Chambal, the Dolphins inspite of being blind can be seen pursuing their playful antics in the water while coming out to breathe for air. The Chambal Sanctuary is one of their safest breeding areas. And one has to be really lucky to sight one while cruising in the Chambal. Flights of Fancy. The surrounding environs of the river are a true bird watchers delight. During the season (November - March) one can see thousands of migratory and resident birds flock at the shores of the river. A least 150 species of birds have been identified. Species of birds in abundance are the Bar-headed Geese, Brahmini Duck, Common Tea, Pelicans, Flamingoes and Cormorants. One can have an easy sighting of the Indian Skimmer - the highest population of which in the world is found in Chambal. The Crocodile centre at Deori Moreno nearby is the only one - of - its - kind in the entire state of Madhya Pradesh and has recently been opened to the public. The centre helps breed and rehabilitate Crocodiles and Gharials in the Chambal. Thanks to which the river now boasts of a population of over 1600 Gharials and 200 Crocodiles. Active efforts are now on to protect the Ganges River Dolphins. Complete safety within the peripheries of the sanctuary is ensured by the local authorities. And one can freely enjoy the natural wonders of the sanctuary which during the 50's & 60's was largely hidden due to the presence of dacoits. Stringent measures to protect the fragile ecosystems of the sanctuary are followed by the authorities. The visitors are also advised not to disturb, spoil the serenity of the surrounding environs or help in poaching activities directly / indirectly.