District Barwani was formed on 25th May 1998. It was carved out of West-Nimar, Khargone district. Barwani is situated on the southern side of Madhya Pradesh as well as holy river Narmada. District is surrounded by Satpuda (in south) and Vindhyachal (in north) forest ranges. State of Maharashtra in south, Gujrat in far west, district Khargone on the east and district Dhar on the north form boundries of Barwani. District is triangular in shape with the highest point in West. Area of the district is 3665 sq. Km. with eastern boundary 363 Kms and southern 273 Kms. District Barwani has 2 Sub Divisions - Barwani & Sendhawa, 6 Tehsils - Barwani, Sendhawa, Pansemal, Niwali, Thikari and Rajpur, 7 Developmental Blocks - Barwani, Pati, Sendhawa, Pansemal, Niwali, Thikari and Rajpur. There are 4 assembly constotuencies - Anjad, Barwani, Sendhawa & Rajpur. First two are in Dhar parliamentary constituency and rest two are in Khargone parliamentary constituency. District has 384 panchayats and 646 villages - 576 revenue & 70 forest. Out of these villages, 560 are inhabitate and 16 are un-inhabitate. There are 2 Nagar Palikas - Barwani, sendhawa and 4 Nagar Panchayats - Pansemal, Khetiya, Rajpur, Anjad in the district. Population of Barwani is 8,32,422 (1991 census) and 10,81,039 (2001 census) with 29.87% growth in the decade.
It is an important Jain pilgrimage centre. It is 6 Kms from district headquarter Barwani. There are 11 temples on the hill and they belong to 15th century. It has world's tallest statue of Adinathji. Jain saints Kumbhakarna and Indrajeet were said to attain Nirvaan from this place only.Barwani
It is also known as Siddh Nagar, the headquarter of the district is another important town of the district. It is famous commercially as well as its old monuments.Bhawar Garh
It is located on Satpuda ranges which is 16 Kms from Sendhawa. Ancient fort of Bhawar Garh or Borgarh is the main attraction.Beejasan
It is situated on the Agra-Mumbai national highway, 20 Kms from Sendhawa towards Maharashtra. It is famous for the temple of Godess Beejasani (Durga).Sendhawa It is famous for cotton ginning factories. It is a big commercial centre of the area.
The Burhanpur City has been declared as District Head Quarter on 15th of August, 2003. The city is the witness of many events of great historic importance. Burhanpur town was used by Moghuls to control south India. It is located in Tapti valley and touches the northern border of the Maharashtra State. It is divided in 2 development blocks namely Burhanpur and Khaknar. It is consisting of 3 tehsils namely Nepanagar, Burhanpur & Khaknar. The district has a population of around 484000 in which 211880 is urban population. Agriculture is the main occupation of district. The major crops of the district are Cotton, Banana, Sugarcane, wheat, chilly etc. Handloom industry is also live in Burhanpur town. Burhanpur was internationally famous for its fine cloth manufacturing, Gold-wire drawing and other allied industries and crafts. Nepa news Print mill is situated in this District. The City is famous for its Muslim monuments, Gurudwara of Sikh Religion, Dargah-e-hakimi. Named after Sheikh Burhan-ud-Din, Burhanpur City is situated 504 Km from Bombay and 69 Km from Khandwa.
The place is an Important Sikh pilgrimage. The First and the Last Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Devji & Guru Govind Singhji Maharaj had visited the place. Guru Nanak Devji visited the Gurudwara located at the bank of Tapti river ( Raj Ghat). Guru Nanak Devji also signed on the holy Guru Grantha Sahib. One can visit the Weapons and Guru Grantha Sahib of Guru Govind Singh Ji Maharaj. The Gurudwara is approx. 400 years old and counted with the Anandpur (Punjab), Patna (Bihar) and Nanded (Maharastra) pilgrimage of sikhs.Ahukhana
This monument is situated in front of Royal fort in Zainabad. The place was Royal leisure pavilions during the Mughal time. Body of Mumtaj Mahal was buried at this place for six months. This is a very good example of Mughal architecture.Khuni Bhandara
With a view of supplying pure water the Mughal rulers constructed 8 system of water works, which at different times, have supplied water to this populous city. These water works are specimen of unparalleled construction technique and may be counted as glorious relics of the Mughal engineering ingenuity and skill which entailed enormous expenditure. They were, probably, constructed for the most part in the reign of Shahjahan and Aurangzeb.Dargah-e-Hakimi
Dargah-e-Hakimi is situated at Lodhipura village, 2 Kms away from Burhanpur town in the memory of Quamili Saiyyadi & moula-e-bava Abdul Quadir Hakimm-ud-din. Thousands of pilgrims of Bohra sect visit the place from all over the world. Other mazar are of roz-e-mubarak 41 and da-el mutallak Saiyyaddna Abdul Taiyyab Jaqui-ud-din Saheb and wali-ul Murtaj Saiyyadi Sheikh Jivanji. In the west of this Mazar, there is a beautiful mosque and a Haquimi garden.
This monument is situated in the Faruqui fort. The monument was constructed by Shahjahan, The Mughal Emperor. In the middle of the monument there is a octagonal bath place. The bath place was connected with the water system of Khuni Bhandara. On the ceiling of the monument colourful Mughal Paintings can be seen.Rajghat
The famous Gurudwara is situated here. The place is on the bank of Tapti. Several Hindu temples of Shaiv and Vaishnav are located here. The foot prints of various Hindu saints at this place are of religious importance. Lal Deval Temple of the place is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Faruqui fort is also located near the place.Asirgarh
A celebrated hill fort in the Burhanpur tehsil about 48 Km south of Khandwa and 23 Km north of Burhanpur on Burhanpur -Khandwa road. It is 259.1 Meters high from the base & 701 Meters above MSL. This is referred as the "Gateway to southern India" in the medieval history. It is consisting of three separate lines of constructions namely Asirgarh proper(Upper most part), Kamargarh and Malaygarh. Jami masjid & a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva are another architecture inside the fort. Asha mandir of Hindu Goddess Asha-devi is located on the hills of this village. In the vicinity of Asirgarh, there is a tomb of Shah Nomani Asiri, a saint, a believer of Sufism. Moti mahal, the burial place of Moti Begam, beloved of Shahjahan is to the left of the fort and situated at the bank of Pandhar River.Raja Ki Chhatri
Raja ki Chhatri is notable monument which is situated on the bank of the Tapti about 4 miles from Burhanpur. It is said that the Chhatri was constructed by the order of Emperor Aurangzeb in honour of the memory of Raja Jai Singh, the Commander of the Mughal force in Deccan. Raja Jai Singh while returning from the Deccan died at Burhanpur.Ichchha Devi Temple
Ichchha Devi Temple is situated at Ichchhapur village approx. 23 Kms from Burhanpur on Burhanpur- Edlabad main road and dedicated to the Ichchha Devi. The story goes that a Maratha Governor made a vow to the Goddess Ichchha Devi (Fulfiller of desires) that if he got a son he would build a well and a temple for the Goddess. When his desire was fulfilled, he built a well and a temple. An annual fair attended by thousands of persons is held there in Chaitra Maas (First month of Hindu Calendar).
The district extends over three physiographic divisions. They are the Malwa in the north, the Vindhyachal range in central zone and the Narmada valley along the southern boundary. However, the valley is again closed up by the hills in the south-western part. Dhar has a population of 13, 67, 412 persons. The district thus ranked twenty first in descending order of population among the then existing 45 districts, containing 2.07 percent of the population of Madhya Pradesh. The area of the district is 8,149 sq. km. The area of the district is 1.84 percent of the area of the entire state of Madhya Pradesh. The southern part of the district lies in the catchment area of the Narmada which forms the southern boundary. The north-eastern part is drained by the Chambal and its tributaries. It forms the catchment area of the Ganga. The north-western part drains into the Mahi. The water-dividing line between the Narmada and the Chambal and the Mahi are separated by the off-shoot range which runs along the Sardarpur-Jhabua boundary. Around 60 percent people speak Hindi. Other languages include Malvi, Urdu, Gujrati, Marathi and Marwari. Nimadi is spoken in the Manawar and Kukshi tehsils bordering West Nimar district. Dhar district has been on the cultural map of India since time immemorial. People used to engage themselves in fine arts such as painting, sculpture, music, dancing, etc.
In 1933 Shri Raghunath Krishna Fadke was came to Dhar from Mumbai. He is a well Known Murtikar. He was called here by Dhar Maharaja to prepare some Murti's in Chhatri of Maharaja. Shri Fadke had established his studio On Khanderao Tekri Which was called as Fadke Studio later On. Shri Fadke was given Padamshri for his famous Murti "Tatwa Chintana" in 1961. In 1971 he was also awarded with Doctorate. He was died in 1972. Statues Made by him were established at Dhar, Indore, Dewas, Ujjain, Mumbai. Presently also several statues made by him & his successors were placed at Fadke Studio. This Statues gives the feeling that as if they were real & will Start to talk with us. Nearly 25,000 people visit to Fadke Studio per year.Mohankheda - Jain Tirth
Mohankheda-Holi Jain Tirth is situated 47 Kms From Dhar. On Indore-Ahemadabad highway, this Tirth was established by Poojya Gurudev Shri Rajendra Surishwarji Maharaj Saheb around 1940. This Tirth was given new & artistic look by Acharya Dev Shri Vidhyachandra Surishwarji Maharaj Saheb. This Tirth have Shodh Shikhari Jinalaya, 16 feet heighted Bhagwan shri Adinathji's Pratima and Samadhi Mandir of Shri Rajendra Surishwarji, Shri Yatindra Surishwarji & Shri Vidhyachandra Surishwarji Maharaj Sahab.
This Tirth was well connected by Bus From Indore, Dhar, Ujjain, Ahemadabad, Baroda, Ratlam, Bhopal, Surat. Nearest Railway Station is Meghanagar, nearly 65 Kms from Mohankheda On Mumbai-Delhi Railway Line. Mohankheda Tirth is managed by Shri Adinath Rajendra Jain Shwetamber Cheritable Trust.
Perched along the Vindhyan ranges at an altitude of about 2000 feet, Mandu, with its natural defences, was originially the fort capital of the Parmar rulers of Malwa. Towards the end of 13th century, it came under the Sultans of Malwa, first of whom renamed it Shadiabad - the city of joy. Its rulers built exquisite palaces. Each of Mandu's structure is an architectural gem. Mandu is a celebration in stone of life and joy, of the love of the poet-prince Baz Bahadur for his beautiful wife, Rani Roopmati. The balladeers of Malwa still sing of the romance of royal lovers. The glory of Mandu lives on, in its palaces and mosques, in legends and songs.
The 45 km parapet of walls that encircle Mandu are punctuated by 12 gateways. Most notable of these is Delhi Darwaza, the main entrance to the fortress city, for which the approach is through a series of gateways well fortified with walled enclosures and strengthened by bastions such as the Alamgir and Bhangi Darwaza, through which the present road passes. Rampol Darwaza, Jehangir Gate and Tarapur Gate are some of the other main gateways.The Royal Enclave (Jahaj Mahal)
This 120 mt long "ship palace" built between the two artificial lakes, Munj Talao and Kapur Talao is an elegant two storeyed palace. Probably it was built by Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Khilji for his large harem. With its open pavilions, balconies overhanging the water and open terrace, Jahaz Mahal is an imaginative recreation in stone of a royal pleasure craft. Viewed on moonlit nights from the adjoining Taveli Mahal, the silhouette of the building, with the tiny domes and turrets of the pavilion gracefully perched on the terrace, presents an unforgettable spectacle.Hindola Mahal
An audience hall, also belonging to Ghiyas-ud-din's reign, it derives its name of "swinging palace" from its sloping sidewalls. Superb and innovative techniques are also evident in its ornamental facade, delicate trellis work in sand-stone and beautifully moulded columns. To the west of Hindola Mahal there are several unidentified buildings which still bear traces of their past grandeur. Amidst these is an elaborately constructed well called Champa Baoli which is connected with underground vaulted rooms where arrangements for cold and hot water were made. Other places of interest in this enclave are Dilawar Khan's Mosque, the Nahar Jharokha (tiger balcony), Taveli Mahal, the two large wells called the Ujali (bright) and Andheri (dark) Baolis and Gada Shah's Shop and House , all worth a visit.
India's first marble edifice, it is one of the most refined examples of Afghan architecture. Its unique features are the magnificently proportioned dome, marble lattice work of remarkable delicacy and courts and towers to mark the four corners of the rectangle. Shah Jehan sent four of his great architects to study the design of and draw inspiration from the Tomb. Among them was Ustad Hamid, who was also associated with the construction of Taj Mahal.Jami Masjid
Inspired by the great mosque of Damascus, the Jami Masjid was conceived on a grand scale, with a high plinth and a huge domed porch projecting in the centre, the background dominated by similar imposing domes with the intervening space filled up by innumerable domes. One is struck by the huge proportions and the stern simplicity of its construction. The great court of the mosque is enclosed on all sides by huge colonnades with a rich and pleasing variety in the arrangement of arches, pillars, number of bays, and in the rows of domes above.
A museum hosting archaeological antiquties as well as tribal cultural artefacts with a reference unit and arrangement for night lighting is being setup in Chhapan Mahal., Mandu, is being setup in consultation with the State Archaeological Department.Chhappan Mahal Museum
Chappan Mahal is a forgotten mausoleum constructed in sixteenth century AD. It embodies the last and most mature phase of Mandu's medieival architecture. In Hindu calendar Vikram Era 1956 (AD 1899) the Puar rulers of Dhar started the restoration work of this monument to give relief to the drought-affected population. In memory of Vikram Era fifty-six (Chhappan in Hindi), this monument has come to be called Chhappan Mahal. In Ad 1989, the wife of the erstwhile deceased Puar ruler of Dhar, Anandji Rao Puar IV, and the Chancellor of Maharaja Sayaji Rao University of Baroda, Ms. Mrinalinidevi Puar donated this property to the Collector for setting up a museum. Exactly 100 years after the historic Vikram Era 1956, in Vikram Era 2056 (AD 1999).
District Archaeology Association and State Archaeology Department took the initiative for setting up this museum. Before the setting up of this museum, this monument was restored to its original form with labour working night and day over six months. In the four galleries of the museum, Drishyika, Mandapika, Aranyika and Poorvika, an attempt has been made to represent the invaluable historical heritage of Dhar district dating from stone age to the twentieth century. This heritage includes the one and a half millennium old Bagh cave frescos, stone age relics, Bhil culture, the glory of King Bhoj and Dharanagari, the acme of the Sultans of Malwa, the immortal love of Roopmati and Baaz Bahadur and the martyrdom of Rana Bakhtawar Singh.Ashmadha- Fossil Museum
Priceless plant, animal, andarine predating even the Jurassic era scores of millions of years ago abound in the Manawar and Gandhwani tehsils of the district. These exquisite and rare fossils have attracted repeated expeditions of palaeologist from across the globe. At the initiative of the district administration, this unique museum has been set up in the picturesque fringe of the Kakrakhoh falls close to Mandu. Ashmadha, literally- "seated in stone", is a treat for the thinking being. The Museum is being opened to public very shortly.
Village Amjhera lying in the southeast corner of Sardarpur tehsil is about 23 km from Sardarpur and about 40 km to the northwest of Dhar. All the three places are connected by road on which buses ply. The village appears to have been of some importance in old days as it has a number of temples of Shaiva and Vaishnava sects, tanks, Chhatris, satistones, wells a mosque and a fort with palaces inside. As many as five Shiva temples dedicated to Mahadeva, Chamunda and Ambika and two Vaishnava temples of Lakshmi-Narayana and Chhturbhujanatha are in the village. Two tanks known as Brahma Kund and Surya Kund are located in one group near the village. A group of three cenotaphs, built in memory of former Rajput Chiefs, is also situated close to the village. Of five cenotaphs of another group two are built in stone and the rest in bricks. Sati stones, 25 in number, are seen in one group at the locality. The date of these monuments is not known. Amjhera was the head-quarters of a Mahal under Sarkar Mandu during the reign of Akbar. The fort of Amjhera built of rubble stones and bricks in lime was probably constructed by Raja Ram Singh Rathor of Jodhpur in the 18-19the Century A.D. The fort has three old palaces all of the same period. Of these three only the Rang-Mahal deserves mention as it contains mural paintings depicting court life. The fort was held by Raja Bakhtawar Singh in 1857. This Raja boldly revolted against the British rule whose officers caught and hanged him to death at Indore during the days of the great revolt of 1857. Thus the Raja immortalised the village Amjhera by sacrificing his life at the altar of Independence of India. Confiscating his estate the British Government made it over to the Sindhia. The village was populated by 4298 persons in 1971 as against 3,392 in 1961.
This headquarters town of a tehsil of the same name lies about 50 km northwest of Dhar, the district headquarters town with which it is connected by a road on which buses play. Badnawar might be a corrupt form of Wardhanpur or Hatnawat named after King Hastin. The place is evidently an old one as it has yielded old monuments, the earliest of which is of the 11-12th Century A.D. and it has a magnificient Shaiva temple repaired later on. Besides this, there are three other temples of a later period including one called Udanya temple. A few images have been found here bearing dates Vikram Samvat 1219, 1229 and 1336 corresponding to A.D. 1162, 1172 and 1279, respectively. The town has an old mosque constructed in A.D. 1688 and the remains of the fortress or garhi mentioned by Abul Fazi. During the reign of Akbar Badnawar was the headquarters of a Mahal in Ujjain Sarkar of Malwa Subah. According to the Census of 1971 the town was populated by 9,130 persons as against 2,661 in 1901.
These remarkable and interesting rock-cut shrines and monasteries are situated in the Narmada valley among the southern slopes of the Vindhya hill in Kukshi tehsil of Dhar District. These are about 152 km by road from the nearest railway station Mhow, on Ajmer-Khandwa narrow gauge section of the Western Railway. Buses ply on the road and taxis are available at Indore and Mhow to reach the caves. From Dhar these are about 108 km to the southwest and from Kukshi about 18 km to the north. These caves belong to the Budhist faith and it is not certain as to how and when these caves began to be called Bagh Gupha. In modern times these caves were first discovered in 1818. It seems that after the extinction of Buddhism in Central India by the 10th Century A.D. these caves remained effaced from human memory. During the intervening centuries the caves often became the abode of tigers (Bagh) and this association of tigers with the caves gave then the present name. The village situated at a distance of about 8 km and the river flowing nearby the cave came to be known as Bagh village and Bagh river. The other view states otherwise. It believed that either the name of the river or of the village has given its name to others. Until recently these caves were roughly assigned to the Seventh Century from the style of architecture and painting but a copper-plate grant inscription since discovered pushes back the date of at least some of them to the 4th or 5th Century A.D. Bagh caves are mostly important and famous for its paintings. Here we can see the traces of the fully matured pictorial art of the country which have their parallels only at Ajanta in Maharashtra. Bagh caves will for ever be remembered for the famished glory of the painting which has left its shadows traces on the walls and ceilings of these caves. Their colours are faded and subject matters are disfigured. The visitor who pauses, ponders over and dives deep into significance with patience and imagination, looks upon these wall-paintings as the highest achievements in the world of art of that time.
Planned and built by Rani Ahilyabai, the brave Holkar queen, Indore lies to the extreme west of Madhya Pradesh on the banks of the rivers Saraswati and Khan which unite at the centre of the city. The bustling and vibrant city, 186 km from Bhopal, derives its name from the 18th century Indreshwar temple. Indore is situated on the Malwa plateau at an altitude of 553 m above sea level. It is the largest city in Madhya Pradesh state in central India. It is the commercial capital of the state of Madhya Pradesh. Indore city presents a happy blend of historical past and promises of rapid future modernization. Apart from having big shops & showrooms of all the national & international brands (Company outlets), a big cloth market industry has flourished at Indore. Indore is also known for its leather toys and Maheshwari & Chanderi are some very interesting ornate sarees and brocades to offer. Besides the fabrics, there is a variety of local carving crafts to choose from. Indore is also known for its wide variety of "Namkeens'' , gujrati & chineese food restaurants and bengali sweets. Over the years the city of Indore has welcomed people from all castes, creed,color; People from all corners of the country particularly Kerala who have migrated & settled in the heart of M.P. for their livelihood , education or just for its peaceful culture. The people are highly social & progressive which is why all cultures from south, north, east & west have mingled in the life of Indorians. Indore reflects the true spirit of Unity in Diversity. The mixed culture can be invariably seen in the typical food habits ranging from South Indian 'Idli-Dosa' , 'Vada-Sambhar' to 'Dal-Bafla' typical Malwa Food. Holi, Nag-Panchmi, Rakhi, Rang Panchmi, Ahilya Utsav, Annat Chaudas, Ganesh Utsav, Garba (Navratri Utsav), Dussehara, Diwali; all these festivals are celebrated with great enthusiasm at Indore.
During summer the days are hot (35-40oC) with the peak summer (May) day temperature sometimes touching 45c. However , unlike other places in central India, the summer nights in Indore are something special. Due to its location on the southern edge of the Malwa Plateau, however hot it may be during the day, in the late evening, cool breeze starts which makes the evenings quite pleasant, referred to as Shab-e-Malwa.
The Lalbagh Palace of the Holkars on the banks of the Khan river is one of the grandest monuments the Holkar dynasty left to Indore city. A reflection of their taste, grandeur and life style, its construction began in 1886 under Tukoji Rao Holkar II, and was carried out in three phases, the final phase completed in 1921 under Tukoji Rao Holkar III. It is a blend of the baroque and renaissance styles, and in its days was one of the most elegant residences in India. It is being developed by the Government of Madhya Pradesh as a cultural centre. The main attraction are the splendidly proportioned and furnished rooms, with frescoed ceilings and guilded ornamental mouldings. The architecture and decoration of this palace, inhabited by the Holkars till 1978 reflect the highly westernized aesthetic sensibility of the later Holkars. Tukojirao III was the last incumbent of this magnificent palace. The whole complex has a total area of 28 acres and at one time had one of the best rose gardens of the country. Though simple to look from outside, the magnificent interior takes one into a dreamland of past glory. Lavishly decorated in the style of Varsailles Palace, its italian marble columns, grand chandeliers, rich persian carpets, flying nymphs on the ceiling, Belgium stained glass windows, Greek mythological reliefs, Italian style wall paintings, stuffed leopards and tigers are breathtaking. The ballroom has wooden floor on springs for extra bounce. The kitchen was built on the opposite bank of the river and was connected to the palace by a well lighted underground tunnel. The imposing gates of the palace are unique in Asia. A replica of the gates of Buckingham palace (London), about twice their size , were moulded in cast iron and shipped from England. They carry the Holkar state emblem which means "He who tries will succeed".Kanch Mandir
The Kanch Mandir (Glass Temple) which is a jain mandir (temple) is a marvel in glass. This temple was built by the "Cotton King" Sir Hukamchand Seth in the early 20th century. The walls, ceiling, floor, pillars, doors are entirely inlaid with glass. The mirror work reflects minute detailing. There are paintings done in coloured glass which depict stories from Jain scriptures. At the top is a special glass chamber which multiplies the three statues of Lord Mahavir installed there, into an infinite number.The Krishnapura Chhatris
These are exquisite cenotaphs of the three later Holkar rulers. These memorials in stone are gracefully poised on the banks of the Khan river with their pyramidal spires tapering into soaring kalashas. These are memorials built on the cremation spots of the Holkar rulers of Indore. Facing west is the cenotaph built over the ashes of another woman ruler of Malwa, Maharani Krishnabai. The other two Chhatris are of Tukoji Rao II and Shivaji Rao, father and son, and are linked by a common oblong prayer hall with ornately carved arches and pillars on a high platform along the garbha grihas containing life size statues of these rulers. A breathtaking sight at night when illuminated, the Chhatris glow etherally against the dark of the sky. An artificial lake is created in this stretch of the otherwise dry Khan river, complete with a fountain, well laid gardens on both banks and boating facility.The Holkar Palace (Rajwada)
It is close to the Chhatris, in the main square in the heart of the city. It is a seven storied building (only facade remains) built over two centuries ago. This historic palace of the Holkars is built in a mixture of Maratha, Mughal and French style. The gopura-like monumental stone and wood structure, flanked by bastions and studded with balconies and windows, is a testimony of the past grandeur of the Holkars. Its lofty entrance archway above a huge wooden door encrusted with iron studs, leads into a vast courtyard enclosed by galleried rooms, and the arcaded Ganesh Hall where state and religious functions were once held. It is now used for art exhibitions and classical music concerts. The lower three floors are made of stone and the upper floors are made of wood, which made it very vulnurable to destruction by fire. Rajwada was burnt three times in its history, and the last one in 1984 was the most devastating. The charred rubble of the rear portion has now given way to a symmetrically laid out garden featuring fountains, an artificial waterfall and some superb pieces of eleventh century sculpture.Bada Ganapati
Better known for its size than antiquity, this temple houses perhaps the largest Ganesh idol in the world, measuring 25 ft. from crown to foot. Created as a result of a dream to an Avantika (Ujjain) resident Shri Dadhich, it was built in 1875. The idol has a most interesting configuration of ingredients: bricks, lime stone, masala made of Gud, methi dana, soil collected from seven moksha puris: Ayodhya, Mathura, Maya, Kashi, Kanchi, Avantika, and Dwaraka, mud from stables of horse, elephant and cow, the powder of Pancharatna : heera, panna, moti, manek and pukhraj (diamond, emerald, pearl, ruby and topaz) and the holy water from all major places of pilgrimage. The metallic frame is of gold, silver, copper, brass and iron.Khajrana
Many citizens of Indore have a great faith in this Ganesh temple made by Ahilya Bai. They believe that praying here fulfils one's wishes. Nearby is the dargah of Nahar Sayed. It is believed that his headless body is buried here. This is an important pilgrimage place of Naita Muslims.Wanchoo Point A high dam on Narmada and main source of water supply for Indore. A popular picnic spot.
Newly built, adorned with many statues of Gods of various religions. It is open to all, irrespective of caste, creed, religion etc., with provision for devouts to pray separately. Central hall is decorated with wall paintings from Puranas, Ramayan, Mahabharat, and is used for religious discourses - Pravachans. Book stores within the premises sell religious books.Mahatma Gandhi Hall
This is one of the prettiest buildings in Indore. Built in 1904 and originally named as King Edward Hall, was renamed as Mahatma Gandhi Hall in 1948. This Indo-gothic structure is made in seoni stone and its domes and steeples are a landmark of Indore city. It has a clock tower in front, due to which it is also known locally as Ghanta Ghar. The central hall has a capacity for 2000 people and is frequently the venue of book / painting exhibitions, sales, and fairs throughout the year.
This is a Krishna temple built by Krishna Bai Holkar in 1832. Situated on the right wing of the Rajwada, it has a big central hall with stupendous pillars bearing a massive roof which is elaborately decorated. Its system of lighting in the form of huge glass chandeliers is eye catching.Indore Museum
The Indore museum houses the finest collection of Parmar sculptures from Hinglajgarh. The Parmar style originated here and is characterized by proportionated figures, carefully and ornately depicted in stone. The museum is also known for its collection of coins, arms and armours.Nehru Park
This is the oldest and most centrally located park in Indore. Built by the Britons as Biscow Park, it was open to only British in the pre independence days. It was renamed as Nehru Park after independence. It has a variety of roses, library, swiming pool, children's hobby centre etc. It also operates miniature train to ride around the park. It also has battery operated cars.Meghdoot Upavan
Newest and the largest of the gardens situated on the outskirts of the city, about four kilometers from Palasia. It has sprawling lawns, lighted fountains, dancing fountains, landscaped gardens. It has been extensively renovated in 2000-01. There is an amusement park Mangal Merry Land djacent to it. Ice cream parlours, milk parlours, Chaat gali are on the outside.Annapurna Mandir
Inspired by the Meenakshi temple of Madurai, four life size elephants hold an ornately decorative gate in plaster. Inside the complex, apart from the main temple of Annapurna Devi are also temples of Shiva, Kal Bhairav, and Hanuman. There is also a pravachan hall. The outer wall of the main temple is decorated with colourful reliefs from mythological stories.Kamala Nehru Park (Zoo)
More popularly known as Chidiya Ghar, it combines the pleasure of a park and zoo on a modest, easy reachable area. Evening attractions include elephant rides, camel rides, pony rides, goat cart and buggy rides (mostly for kids). It has a restaurant and an ice cream parlour overlooking the Khan river. There is a children's playground at the far end of the park.Gomatgiri
In 1981, the M.P. government donated a hillock to the Jain Samaj, who constructed a 21 feet statue of Gomateshwar, a replica of the Bahubali statue of Shrawanbegola. Also built are 24 marble temples with shikars, for each Tirthankar. Gomatgiri is approached by a lovely picturesque drive 10 minutes from the city airport. It also has a guest house, a dharamshala and a restaurant.Bijasen Tekri
This hillock (tekri) has a small temple of Bijasen Mata, built in 1920. Mela is held here during Navaratri. This place is two minutes drive from the airport and about nine kms from the railway station. From this hill, one gets a magnificent view of the sunset and a breathtaking view of city at night. Perched on top of the hill was a guest house of the Holkars, now converted into a Border Security Force Arms Museum. Surrounding area is being developed into gardens with a small lake.Deoguradia
In a small picturesque village of Deoguradia, 8 kms from Indore, on Nemawar road, stands the monolithic rock temple built in 7th century and redone in 18th century by Ahilya Bai Holkar. Also known as Garuda Tirth, it has a water outlet in the shape of of Gomukh from which water flows out almost as in Abhishek. The original Shivalinga is 12 ft under water in a sunken temple above which the present temple is constructed. On every Shivratri, a fair is held in honour of the diety - Shri Gutkeshwar Mahadeo.Bazaars
For the garments, Chhappan Bazar and Sarafa are places to visit. Chhappan Bazar has many shops selling mouthwatering "Chaat" and related stuff. Sarafa, which as the name suggests, is a jewelry market during day time. But at night, when the jewelry shops close, the place is magically transformed into a large indian fast food centre selling rabri, rasmalai, kulfi, and an amazing array of vegetarian snack foods and namkeens. This narrow mile long road (close to Rajwada) is packed with people through most of the night and has a carnival atmosphere.Nakhrali / Chokhi Dhani
This is a new concept in entertainment which is fast catching roots in Indore. These are sort of heritage villages with rustic Rajasthani atmosphere. There are camel / horse / goat / bullock rides, train ride, puppet show, magic show, monkey show, bioscope, etc for the kids in addition to boating facility, rajasthani dance cum entertainment show, a public dance hall (disko!) etc. There is also a spacious indian style dining hall where hot, tasty meals are served. The whole area is nicely landscaped and kept clean and well maintained. Open full day on week ends and in the evening till night on working days. There are currently two such villages, Nakhrali Dhani at Rau in the southern suburb and Chokkhi Dhani on Khandwa road in the eastern suburb. These provide a very good means of family outing in the evenings.
The pilgrimage town of Ujjain is about 56 km from Indore. It traces its origin to the very dawn of Indian history. Hindu astronomy, astrology and geography have Ujjain as the base for calculations which is the "Greenwich" of Hindu astronomers and astrologers. Situated on the bank of Kshripra, it is one of the oldest holy cities of India. It is place of one of the Kumbh Melas. It was the capital of the Avanti Nagari of Raja Bhoj and poet Kalidasa. It had become a great centre for learning during the rule of the great legendary king Vikramaditya. The temple of Mahakaleshwar is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas. Bhartrihari caves, Sandipani (Shri Krishna's Guru) Ashram, ancient observatory are some of the places to visit.Mandu
The historical fort of Mandu (Mandav gadh or the "City of Joy" Shadiabad ) is about 90 km from Indore. Founded in the 10th century as a Fort-Capital by the Parmar rulers, this extensive, now deserted hilltop fort is one of the most interesting sites in Madhya Pradesh. This is supposed to be the biggest fort in India (82km perimeter) and has ruins of lots of palaces, baths, pavilions of the past, when it was a busy town. The tomb of Hoshang Shah is supposed to be the inspiration behind Shah Jehan's celebrated Taj Mahal. Jahaj Mahal, H indola Mahal, Ashrafi Mahal are some of the notable monuments. Each of these is an architectural gem in the Afghan style. The legend of the romance of Rani Roopmati and Baj Bahadur haunts this place which is quite beautiful in rainy season.Dewas
Dewas is 36 kms from Indore. Its name is derived from a hill in its vicinity known as Devi Vashini, on which is perched a temple of its presiding deity Chamunda Devi. Earliest mention of Dewas is in the epic poem Chandi bardai of 16th century. Most beautiful spot is the Devi hall where there are several temples cut out in rocky walls with images in relief.Omkareshwar
The holy town of Omkareshwar is also about 77 kms from Indore. It is an island on the confluence of the rivers Narmada and Kaveri. This place has hundreds of Hindu/Jain temples. The most important being the one housing one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, which has made this place an important pilgrimage centre since ancient times. A boat ride in Narmada river around the island of Omkareshwar is quite enjoyable.Maheshwar
90 kms from Indore is mentioned in Ramayan and Mahabharat as Mahishmati. It became famous when Rani Ahilya Bai Holkar made it her capital. It is famous for its sarees - Maheshwari sarees - known for their unique weave.Patal Pani
36 kms from Indore towards Mhow, is famous for its scenic waterfall. Water falls from a height of 150 feet into a kund whose depth is still unfathomed. It is popularly believed that the bottom of this deep kund trench reaches Patal (the mythological world below Earth ), hence the name Patal Pani.Kasturbagram
8 km from Indore, the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust was founded by Mahatma Gandhi. Its headquarter were shifted from Wardha to Indore in 1915. The main objective of this trust is showing ways of improvement in the quality of village life and the welfare of rural women and children. Some of its many commendable activities are : agricultural production, research, training, experiments in fruit orchards, social forestry, new renewable sources of energy, gobar gas, better water management, rural institute for girls, village sanitation programmes etc.MHOW
23 km from Indore is the Military Headquarters Of War (MHOW) which was supposedly the war management centre of the British during the World War. Presently one of India's most prestigious military training establishments for senior and higher commands, the whole cantonment is beautifully landscaped.Dhar
64 km from Indore on the Indore-Ahmedabad road is Dhar, the capital of Parmar Kings, among whom Bhoj was the most prominent. During the Muslim rule, Dhar was under the Sultans of Delhi. In the monuments one can see the combination of Hindu, Afghan and Mughal architecture. Bhoj Shala, Laat Masjid, the Fort and the lakes are the main tourist attractions.Jhabua
151 km from Indore on the Indore-Ahmedabad highway, it is the home of the tribal Bhils and Bhilalas.Nemawar
128 km from Indore, this is situated on the other side of the bank of the Narmada, and was the place where Jamdagni, the father of Parasuram, meditated. The temple of Renukaji is situated near the village, as also the ancient temple of Siddhanath. At Suryakund, is a statue of Lord Vishnu.
Jhabua is a predominantly tribal district located in the western part of Madhya Pradesh. It is surrounded by Panchamahal and Baroda districts of Gujrat, Banswara district of Rajasthan and Dhar and Ratlam districts of Madhya Pradesh. River Narmada forms the southern boundary of the district. The terrain is hilly, undulating typically known as "Jhabua hills topography". In this Jhabua hill topography the difference between the highest and the lowest points is varies between 20 to 50 meters. But this difference goes on increasing as we move towards south of Jhabua. In Alirajpur division which is in the south of Jhabua the area is almost entire hilly and intersected by narrow valleys and low Vindhayan ranges covered with jungles. But most part of Jhabua is without any forest cover because of low fertility of land and soil erosion. Jhabua is sparsely populated area with the total population of 13.94 lakhs according to 2001 census. The total area is 6793 Sq Kms. There are about 1313 inhabited villages. About 85% of population is tribal while 3% population belongs to Schedule Castes. 47 per cent of the people live below the poverty line. The literacy rate according to 2001 census is 36.87% with female literacy of only 4%. Thus, Jhabua is an overwhelmingly tribal and poor district. The district is devoid of vegetation cover except Katthiwada and other patches and is full of undulated, hilly areas; The area suffers from poor and skeletal soils with shallow to very shallow depth and erratic rainfall , high temperature. The area comes under Agroclimatic zone No. 12 namely Jhabua hills covering an area of 0.68m ha. ( 1.5 % of geographical area of MP). The district has three distinct sub zones namely Petlawad (Malwa), Jhabua (Low rainfall) and Katthiwada (High rainfall)zones.
Although almost half of the population lives below the poverty line, the tribals still revel in their traditional colorful festivities and continue to make merry on the occasions like "Bhagoriya". Tribal people are involved in a number of artistic work, some of them are :
Bows & Arrows are made in all the blocks of the district. The bhils use them for their self-defense.The artistic bows & arrows are used for interior decoration and as gift items.
Chomal, traditionally used as cushion to carry matkas on the head, or more decorated ones in marriages & other auspicious ceremonies. Today well decorated chomals, with beautiful colors, form the part of drawing rooms of rich & famous.
Jhabua dolls now enjoy a national fame. They represent the tribal men & women in colorful traditional dresses along with their paraphernalia. The dolls come in various shapes & sizes; in groups & pairs; in decorative casings or open. They are used as artifacts for drawing rooms & as gift items.
Bandi (Half coat) is the traditional suit of tribals of this district. It was very much liked by the former prime minister Mr.Rajiv Gandhi, during his Jhabua visit. Modern Youth also like the bandi very much.
Galsan mala (bead necklace) is traditionally worn by the tribal women. They come in very beautiful colors. Now bead necklaces are made keeping in mind the latest designs & fashions. Undoubtedly today they are the first choice of all the women.
Block Prints are made by the tribal artisan of the district. Artisans use different types of natural dyes & blocks in different designs to print the clothes. The block prints are used in household purpose & other daily use clothes. The block prints are so attractive & durable that it has caught the attention of housewives. Now used mainly as bed covers, table clothes, curtains & dress wear
Mud artifacts In this traditional art form horses, elephant etc. are carved on garden pots (gamlas) & other articles in modern designs. They are used for decoration & as gift items.
Panja durri (carpet) is a special & distinguished art made using the iron panja(hand) by the local tribals. The carpet is very durable & cheap too and has multiple uses. This is also made on Jaipuri pattern with various designs & colors.
Pithora art of Jhabua is universally acknowledged. This art consists of a wide range of pictures and images of elephants, horses and other pet animals in addition to the common mileu of tribal culture. Pema Fatia, a tribal artist has won National award for this art.
Bead work is done by women of the district to make designs using beads of various colors on thick & soft cloth, which further stitched as purses, chunnis, file covers etc. These beautiful beadwork articles are used for home decoration, gift items & articles of daily use.
Bohni(tribal baskets) made by tribals using bamboo. Baskets are hardy & look very attractive. These are used by tribals for broadcasting seeds & for other household purposes. Small decorative baskets are used for decorative purposes & gift items.
Bamboo art is a unique art in which different types of baskets, night lamps, pen stands & other articles are made by the tribals. The bead work on some these articles makes them even more colorful & attractive. These are special articles used in home decoration, gift purposes & for general use.
Climate is generally moderate and seasons are well defined. The summers are hot, winters are short and the monsoon season is generally pleasant. The average rainfall in the district is about 800mm. Most of the rainfall occurs in monsoon season while there is also a little of rainfall in winter season.
The Narmada is the largest river of the district. It flows from east to west along the southern boundary. It is one of the seven most sacred rivers referred in sacred books and the Sutras of panini. The Narmada touches the southern boundary of Jhabua a few kilometers above Kakrona. Soon it is joined by the Hatni and the jharkal on the opposite bank. Below khanba village it turns to south-west, then west, south and again west in succession. Before it leaves the district it turns to the north-west and finally to the south-west. Only minor streams join the Narmada in this course. The water of the Orsang and its tributaries rising in the western parts of Jhabua join the Narmada in gujrat. The width of the Narmada spans to 3 km. Near Broach and that of its estuary to 21 km. At the Gulf of Cambay. The course of the Narmada in Jhabua District is 38 km.The Hatni
The Hatni is the major tributary of the Narmada in this District. Its streams rise from the northern off-shoot of the Vindhayachal along the northern boundary of Jobat Tahsil. The stream rises near Sajawada. Once a foot of a cow-elaphant stuck in the mud at the place. When she pulled it off, a spring came out of it, hence this name. It has a south-eastern sourse through Bojhar and Khatali. The nort-eastern stream rises near Phurtalao and passes through Jobat.The Mahi
It forms the north-eastern and east-northern boundaries of the District in Petlawad tahsil. The pampawati of Petlawad, combined with the Ladki, joins it near Bhairongarh Railway Station. The word "Mahi" may have been derived from Mahi the daughter of the Earth. It may have derived its name alternatively from Muhi, the sour milk. It is said that once an unmarried girl was churning curd in an earthern pot. She saw her would be father-in-law gazing at her in an undersirable manner. So she hid hereself in the churning pot which broke down, spilting the Muhi, which became the source of river. It is for this reason people believe, that the river is called the Mahi. It is a sacred river.The Anas
The Anas is a large tributary of the Mahi. It rises from the south-eastern part of Jhabua tahsil. The northern off shoot of the vindhyachal range bifurcates at Phurtalao hill (1770 ft. ) into the northern and western branches. The Anas flows to the north for about 37 kms., 9kms. To the west, and towards the north-west for another 44 kms. within the District. Most of the later course lies Gujrat. The Anas maintains this direction in Kushalgarh Tehsil for 4 kms. but turnes to the west and joins the left bank of the Mahi, 25 kms. beyond. The Kali (of Guwali) and the Khan flow mostly in the Panch Mahals district of Gujrat but join the Anas in Jhabua, near Guwali village.Kunda
There is a scared Kunda at Devjhiri 6 kms. east of Jhabua on Dhar road. A certain sadhu lived here and used to bath in the Narmada everday. In his old age he prayed the mother goddess Narmada and cerated this Kunda which is believed to be equally sacred.Tank
A very old tank exists in village Bhagore. An inscribed victony pillar on its bank is dated V.S.1336 (A.D. 1279). It is said that a Bhairava, named Bagga got the tank dug with the assistance of a nimph, on the occasion of a famine. The head of a broken image is belived to be that of Bagga. Some other temples of Antiquity, dedicated to Lord Shiva, Ram and Hanuman are located on the bank of the tank. A tank at Petlawad was constructed by Tukoji Rao.
It is a village in jobat Tehsil lying at a distance of 32 km. West-north-west of Jobat on Jobat-Dohad Road. The famous freedom fighter, Chandra Shekhar Azad is said to have been born here. Now a small memorial has been erected here in his honour. The population of Bhabra was 3,098 in 1991. It is the headquarters of the Tehsil and Tribal Development Block. It has a dispensary, a branch post office, a co-operative society, a middle school and a police station house.Deojhiri
A village of 320 souls in 1971, Deojhiri is 8 km. North-east of Jhabua on Ahmedabad-Indore State Highway No.22. It lies 1 km to the west of the road, on Sunar river. As the name of the village denotes, there is an ancient temple of Lord Shiva( Deo, a diety) and jhiri or a perennial spring. The spring has been built up into a kund. A samadhi of some religious is held on Baisakh Poornima, which falls mostly in the month of April according to Gregarian calender. The village have a panchayat bhawan , a primary school and sub-health centre.Kathiwada
Kathiwara is a small village among the beautiful environs of the North-Western off-shoot of the Vindhyachal. Formerly it was the seat of a petty state, now forming part of Alirajpur tehsil, it is about 32 km due north-west of Alirajpur but the bus router leads via Borjhar, Bhabra and Bhajina and measures 60 km. Since the place lies on a height and receives a higher rainfall, it is generally cooler than the northern parts of the District. There are the development Block, Nyaya Panchayat, Sub range Office and higher secondary School.Lakhmani Gram
Lakhmani gram is a small village located on the bank of the Sukar river. It is accessible 8 km east of Alirajpur on Kukshi road. There is a newly constructed jain temple in this village. The village come in to prominace among archeologists, nistorians and lovers of plastic art in about 1925 when the jain images ensnrined in this temple were unearthed accidentally from a field . The images have been carved out of milky-white marble and black marble called sanmoosa. In addition images of Hindu dieties and remains of Hindu temple have been found. The sculpture belong to the style of 10th-11th century. Since the recovery of the images the place is held as a tirth ( Holy place) and an annual fair is held. There is a gram panchayat and a primary school at the village.Malwai
Malwai is located 5 km south of Alirajpur on the unmetalled road leading to Alirajpur and Walpur, before it bifurcates for Umrali. It settles on the northern foothills of the Vindhyachal Range in Alirajpur tahsil. There is am ancient but small shiva temple in ruinous condition. The platform is rectangular but several conical columns rising from the base reach up to the kalash , which has fallen. The front portion of the cone has also fallen. Many beautiful carvings and images in the row of Penals are Visible which can be assigned to 12th-13th century.Amkhut
Amkhut village is 24 km north-west of Alirajpur on Alirajpur-Kathiwara Fairweather Road. The place is located among the forests of the Vindhachal range. It enjoys a natural beauty and cool climate . The Canadian Christian Mission established its centre here ami amidst the tribal villages. The village has a gram panchayat, a police out post, a primary school and rest house maintained by the Forest Department. The village has been electrified.Khandwa District
Khandwa District is situated southwest of the state of Madhya Pradesh. The District is in Indore Division of Madhya Pradesh. Maximum and Minimum height above mean sea level is 905.56 m and 180.00 m respectively. Khandwa is located at Bombay-Delhi central line and north of Burhanpur. The District is bounded on the east by the Betul and Hoshangabad district of Hoshangabad division, and Burhanpur district of Indore Division on south, on the west by West Nimar district of Indore division, and on the north by Dewas district of the Indore Division. Prior to the States reorganization, i.e., on 1st November 1956, the District was officially known as Nimar District and formed part of Mahakoshal region of the erstwhile Madhya Pradesh. On august 15, 2003 the District has been divided into Khandwa & Burhanpur district. The major natural division of the District are :Narmada Valley
The Narmada flows through the northern part of the District, roughly in an east-west direction. Among the streams joining the Narmada within the District from the north and Khari and Kanar (Lohar). These are the only perennial streams in the tract. The hills in the Chandgarh and Selani tracts rise conspicuously from 220' to 500' (61 to 152 meters) above the adjacent plains. The general height of Selani tracts is about 750' (228 meters) and that of Chandgarh is about 850'(285 meters). The north south chain of hills in Chandgarh and Selani tracts continues across the Narmada in the south. The conspicuous of these is sand stone hill. It occupies the elbow formed at the junction of the Chhota Tawa and the Narmada and which rise about 500'(152.4 meters) above the surrounding country. The southern tributaries of the Narmada flows towards north or north west revealing the general slope of that part of Narmada Valley, which lies within the District. The average height in the eastern part of valley is about 800'(243 meters). The plain country in the extreme west, below Mandhata, lies at a level of about 700'(213.4 meters) above Mean Sea Level. The catchment area of the Chhota Tawa is at about 1,000 (304.8 meters) above Mean Sea Level.Tapti Valley
The Tapti flows in a narrow valley between two parallel ranges of the Satpura in the southern parts of the District. It stretches to about 50 miles from East-north to west-Southwest.Satpura Range
The Satpura is the name collectively to a complex system of ranges and highlands about 600 miles long and 100 miles(161 Km.) wide which lie to true south of the Narmada from the western coast of India to the Amarkantak hills in the east. This system includes ranges as far south as the southern maikal range or Saletakeri hills.
The climate of the District is pleasant and healthy. The District falls in the drier part of India. Average annual rainfall in the District is 980.75 mm. The northern part of the District receives more rainfall than the southern part. The monsoon season starts approximately by 10th June every year and extends up to early October. The days are quite humid. The maximum temperature recorded in the month of May is 42O C and minimum recorded in the month of December is 10OC.
Hindi is a common medium of communication in the urban part of District. Nimari is spoken in the rural area of North-West part of the District whereas Korku, Bhili as the mode of communication in the tribal area respectively. Northern part comprises of Malvi and Korku spoken mass in the non tribal and tribal respectively. Gujarati, Rajasthani etc. are also spoken in several social circles, like Bohra etc.
Mandhata is famous pilgrim centre in the District. Throughout the year, a number of pilgrims from distant parts of the country visit the place. In the month of Kartika a fair is held at this place, which is attended by a number of pilgrims. About 40 fairs are held in the District. Some of them are :Daata-Saheb's fair at Malagaon
The District has road network covering 2328.45 Kms. Major Roadways are -Mortakka -Khandwa, Khandwa -Burhanpur, Burhanpur - Bombay, Burhanpur - Amravati, Khandwa - Harsud, Ujjain-Indore-Aurangabad. The District is also connected by Delhi-Bombay Broad gauge Railway line of Indian Railways and Purna (Maharashtra State) -Jaipur(Rajasthan State) meter gauge line .
Omkareshwar Mandhata is located on the bank of Narmada River, approx. 75 Kms. from Khandwa on Indore-Khandwa Highway. This is a holy place for Hindu and Jain Sects. Mamaleshwar, one among the 12 Jyotirlingas is located at this place. Millions of the pilgrims of both sects & foreigners visit the place every year. Other sites are the caves of Adi Guru Shankaracharya (The great ancient saint of advait philosophy of Hindu sect.) is located at this place. The name "Omkareshwar" is due to the shape of the island.Narmada Nagar
Narmada Nagar near Punasa has a key location in Indira Sagar Project of Narmada Valley Development Authority, on the bank of River Narmada.. The place is about 61 Km from the District H.Q. Khandwa, and can be approached from two stations Khandwa & Bir of Central Railway line of Bombay- Delhi, and is well connected by roadways, from these two.Dada Dhuniwale Darbar
Dada Dhuniwale Darbar is located in South- Western part of the Town about 3 Km from railway/Bus station. This is a centre of faith and worship. The Samadhi places of great Avadhoot Hindu saints Swami Keshwanandaji Maharaj and Swami Hariharanandji Maharaj, respectfully called as "Bare Dadaji" and "Chhote Dadaji" respectively. A fair is held on Guru Purnima at this place and thousands of the devotees attend the fair from all over the nation.Turja Bhavani Mata Temple
This temple is located beside the Dadaji Darbar and dedicated to Hindu Goddess Maa Turja Bhavani. Many myths are revealing in the mass regarding the temple. It is said that during the wandering period, Lord Rama visited the place and worshipped the Shakti for 9 days at this place. A 9 day fair in Navratri period is held here every year. Thousands of devotees visit the place especially in this period. Daily prayers also being attended by hundreds of the devotees.Devi Nav Chandi Dham
Devi Nav Chandi Dham is newer place for the devotees of Shakti, located in the LavKush nagar, In the northern part of the city and is approx. 4 Km from the Station sites. The temple is dedicated to the Goddess Nav-Chandi. A fair is organized in the month of Falgoon (feb-march) and cultural & religious program is being organized by Baba Gangaram, the devotee of the Goddess who has constructed the temple. Stellar luminary and many great personality attends the fair every year. Thousands of devotees attend the fair.
The Building is located in the Eastern part of the town approx. 1 Km away from the railway station. This was constructed in 1919 and is in good Condition. Currently the Office of The Collector is located in the building. The District Office enjoys the position of having such a beautiful, well arranged building. Initially the building was constructed in 100mts x 50 mts. area. Later several extensions have been made. Dense tree plantation has been done around the building. Efforts to save and beautify and modernize the monument is being carried out by the Collector and District Magistrate.Nagchun Dam
Nagchun Dam is 7 Kms from the Railway Station, Northern to the city near Nagchun village. This is a nearest picnic spot of the city. From this dam also the water is being supplied to the city. Dense plantation around the place makes it beautiful.Gauri Kunja
In memory of the well known playback singer Kishore Kumar Ganguly, A Cultural hall (especially for music) constructed approx. 1 Km east-ward from the station, Cultural Programs of the town are being organized at this place.
Khargone District lies in southwestern boundary of Madhya Pradesh. It has acquired an area of 8030 sq km and located between latitudes 21 degree 22' - 22 degree 35' (North) & longitudes 74 degree 25' - 76 degree 14' (East). It is surrounded by Dhar, Indore & Dewas in the north, Maharashtra in the south, Khandwa, Burhanpur in the east and Barwani in the West. District forms almost central section of Narmada valley which is bordered by Vindhyachal ranges in north & Satpura ranges in south. Narmada is the main river flowing about 100 km in the district. Kunda & Veda are the main rivers. Dejla-Devada, Garhi-Galtar & Ambaknala are main irrigation projects. Jowar & Maize are main crops of Khariff and Wheat of Rabi. Cotton & Ground Nut are main commercial crops. Granites, Calcite, Quartzite, Limestone, Breccia, Sandstone are main ores found in the district. About 13779 small scale and 14 medium & large scale industries with industrial areas at Khargone, Nimrani, Barwah, Padli & Bhikangaon. District has 1 Engineering & 2 Polytechnic colleges with many Post Graduate and Graduate colleges. District also has many ITIs.
Maheshwar, capital of famous Haihay king Sahasrarjun who defeated Ravan, later capital of Great Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar is situated on the banks of Narmada. It is the tehsil head quarter and also famous for its Maheshwari saris & temples.Mandleshwar
A place 8 Kms from Maheshwar. A hydel power generation plant is being constructed on river Narmada. Choli a place where you find encient Shiv Temples.Oon 14 kms from Khargone, famous for very old Parmar Hindu Temples & Jain temples.
Tomb of Great Maratha Peshwa Baji Rao is at Raverkhedi. Bakawa is famous for its "Shivlings" made of stones from Narmada. These are the most respected "Shivlings".Dejla-Devada An earthen dam constructed on river Kunda. Irrigation in about 8000 hectares.
2 adjacent cities (10 Kms) with river Narmada flowing in-between. One has to go via these cities to reach Omkareshwar. Situated on the Indore-Ichchhapur highway - State Highway 27. One can reach Punasa from Sanawad where Indira Sagar Dam has been constructed on Narmada. One can reach Mandleshwar, Maheshwar and finally Dhamnod on Agra Mumbai Road (National Highway 3) from Barwah.