Dewas District in Ujjain Revenue Division, is situated on the Malawa plateau in the West-central part of Madhya Pradesh and lies between 20°17' and 23°20' North latitude and 75°54' and 77°08' East longitude. The district is bounded by Ujjain district in the north, Indore district in the west, West-Nimar district in the south-west, East Nimar district in the south, Hoshangabad district in the South East, Sehore district in the east and Shajapur district in the North-East. The tropic of cancer passes through the district near Nemawar village south of Khategaon town. The district gets its name from the district headquarters town, Dewas (dev-vas) which is said to have been derived on the basis of two traditions. One is that Dewas lies on the foot of a conical hill, known as Chamunda hill about 300 ft. above the ground level on top of which the shrine of Chamunda is located. The image of the Goddess is cut in rocky wall of a cave. It is, therefore, known as Devi Vashini or the Goddess's residence. The other view of the probable origin is from the name of the founder of the village Dewasa Bania. With the reorganization of States on linguistic basis on 1st November 1956, Madhya Bharat, with other territories got merged to form the New state of Madhya Pradesh and thus Dewas continues to be one of the districts in it. The district is now divided in to 6 tehsils viz. Sonkatch, Dewas, Bagli, Kannod, Tonk-Khurd and Khategaon. Dewas tehsil is situated on the north-western part of the district, Sonkatch on the north-eastern part, Bagli on the south, Kannod on the south-central part and Khategaon on the South-east. All the tehsil head quarters are connected by all weather roads. The Head-quarters of Dewas tehsil which is also the district headquarters is situated on The Bombay-Agra National Highway No.3 and is also connected by broad-gauge railway line of western Railway.
Dewas district is Hindi speaking area, commonly the dialect or tone of the area is called "Malvi". The major cultural activities of the district are Malvi Songs . Folk songs are also very popular on the occasion of marriages, festivals and local village fairs. The traditional dress of men is Kurta-Dhoti of white or contrast colors and the dresses of women are colorful and comprise of Lugda, Blouse and Lehanga. During the Navratras the idol of Goddess is established in all part of Dewas even in every street, Garba is also very popular on this occasion. This function is celebrated at Dewas on a very large scale after Bengal because of a famous temple of Maa Chamunda. Apart from this, Dewas is a very important centre of Classical Music, Two National level programs are organized here, one from the side of Ustad Alladuddin Khan Sangeet Academy, Bhopal in cooperation with Madhya Pradesh Government and local Administration called Kumar Gandharva Samaroh in this function National level young artists are awarded with Kumar Gamdharva Sammaan and a sum of Rs. 51,000/-, the other Classical Programme organized from side of Kumar Gandharva Sangeet Academy, Dewas.
In the recent years, modern industry has taken off in Dewas in a big way. The growth is industry sector has given jobs to local factories. At the same time, traditional crafts / Handicrafts as Mojri (Shoes), Synthetic Carpets, leather works (begs, belts, ladies purses, shoes, coats , briefcases etc.) remain important in the economy. Agriculture (specially Soyabeen, wheat, gram) are also the source of economy. Many high tech industries has been also been setup for oil extraction. To control the Indian economy, Bank Note Press, a Central Government Organization for printing of Indian Currency is also situated here.
The vegetation is principally a low forest with sometimes a fair amount of bamboo (Dendrocalamus strictus). The chief trees are Butea, Bombax, Anogeissus, Acacia, Buchanamia and Boswellia. The shrubs or small trees include species of Grewia, Zizyphus, Casearia, Prosopis, Capparis, Woodfordia, Phyllanthus, Carissa, and the like. In the Southern outlying part of Dewas, near the Narbada, the forest vegetation is that characteristic of the Central Indian Highlands, with Ougeinia, Tectona, Terminalia, and Dalbergia as typical trees. The animals found in the Dewas state are the same as those elsewhere in Central India. Of the larger kinds tigers are practically never meet with, there being no jungle affording suitable cover. Leopards are seen occasionally in the hills. Of deer the Sambhar (Cervus unicolor) frequents the hills by Raghogarh (S.B.), while the smaller species of deer, the black-buck (Anitope, Cervi Capre) and Chinkara (Gazella benetii) are to be seen everywhere. The usual birds and fishes occur throughout the state.
Nearest airport situated at Indore are about 40 Km away from Dewas. Indian airlines and private airlines like Sahara, Jet airways connect Indore to Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and all major cities.By Train
Dewas is well connected by good train services to Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Madras, Jaipur and all major cites.By Road
Dewas is situated on National Highway No. 3 ( AGRA-BOMBAY Road). The town of Dewas is centrally located having links to adjoining districts viz. Ujjain (The relegious city of Mahakal), Sehore, Bhopal (M.P.State Capital) and Indore. The city is well connected by road.
Bilavali village is situated on A. B. road about 3 Km north of Dewas. There is a temple of Lord Shiva called Mahakaleshwar. The Shivling has an unique feature that it is increasing in size every year. A fair is organized every year on the occasion of Maha Shivratriya.Sri Kela Devi
Kela Devi temple is the biggest one in M.P. Originally the Kela Devi temple is situated in Karoli at Rajasthan. At Dewas Kela devi temple is situated at Mishri Lal Nagar (Agra Bombay Road). Its white marble gate is one of the attractive part of the temple which is built by South Indian artists. Every year during Chaitra Navaratri a big Mela (exhibition) is held which is also a part of attraction for all the disciples.Siddheshwar Mahadev (Nemavar)
On the bank of river Narmada consists of a Shrine, Sabha-Mandapa and porch. Spire one shrine adorned with cluster of miniature Shikaras. Paramedical roof over mandapa and the porch probably added to or repaired later. Built in the time of the Parmaras of Malwa.Girijesher Temple
In the year 1942 the Dewas Ruler Shrimant Sadashive Rao Maharaja (Khase Saheb) was the founder of Girijesher Temple. The approachable road of this temple is built after cutting the hills at that time. A numbers of great Hindu religious personalities "Sant and Mahatmas" were stay here time to time and preach the people of Dewas.Dharaji
Dharaji is a place of religious, historic and of tourist interest. Which is located on the bank of Narmada, situated in the Dharaji village of Bagli tehsil. Narmada creates a beautiful waterfall here. Lacks of people gather here two times a year on Amawasya , with a faith in their mind that this place has mystical power to relieve a person from Evil powers. The pindies of lord Shiva (Shivlings) are found hear are considered so pious that it does not require 'Pran Pratishtha' before installing in a worship place.Yogendra sri 108 Sheelnath Maharaj
Literally speaking Dewas before as a industrial region to be known it is in fact the holy place. Where the divine personalities exposed their radiations. Sheelnath Maharaj is one of the beam of the Divine Light. He was belonging to a royal family of Jaipur, but form very early period of life were not interested in worldly materialistic affairs, so turned towards Yogies & then at Sultanpur of district Hansi at Punjab he felt well with the community of Gorakh Sinddha Sumpradaya. In 1839 he got diksha from Ilachy Nath Maharaj belonging to the same community then for next continuous 36 years he was in `Yog Sadhana'. Once a while he was passing from the forest region of Dewas, the very natural environment & the peaceful situations mate the yogi according to his favorable existence & so he started living in Dewas. The Judge Balwant Rao Bapu invited him to stay at Ranibag & afterwards the present State authority Malhar Rao Pawar (Choti Pati) influenced by his divine grace & then dedicatedly provided some facilities. In 1921 he left his physical body during this long period of staying at Dewas many people have got his Ashirwad & inspiration towards the real path of life, the few of them are like Balkdasji Maharaj, Rajjabli Kha Sahab & Pt. Kumar Gandharva.Sri Manibhadra Veer Temple
In Matmor village of tehsil Bagli, which is situated in Dewas district locates the holy Jain pilgrimage Shivpur, better known as Shri Manibhadra Veer Shvetamber Jain meditation and devotion centre. At this place a chariot shaped temple was installed and inaugurated on 19-5-91 in the presence of thousands of devotees under the divine guidance of Shri Veer Ratna Vijayji Maharaj Sab. At this pilgrimage there are various amenities available to pilgrims and devotees like library, Old age centre, pantry, residence for Jain teachers, retiring rooms for pilgrims, manuscripts of old poetry, astrological healing methods of tantra, yantra & mantra in form of manuscripts etc. The pilgrimage is situated in fantastic natural environment and provides free food to pilgrims. Here the pilgrims can listen to the sermons of Shri Veer Ratna Vijayji Maharaj Sab.Gurudwara
This gurudwara is situated on A.B. Road near bus stand.Grace Church
The Grace church is an ancient church of Dewas. It was built in 15 April 1928, by the efforts of professor J. W. Johary, who prepared the blue prints and look after it. One of the late rulers his highness the Maharaja Mallhar Rao Panwar gave the Christians land and the money to build their own place of worship and subsequently this small beautiful church is the living proof of the generosity of the late Ruler. Rev. G. William (1917 to 1938) was first ordained Minister of the Grace church congregation.Khivni Sanctuary
Khivni Sanctuary is established in the year 1955. The area of reserved forest is 115.320 sq. km. and of protected forest is 16.678 sq.km and total forest area is 132.778 sq.km. There are around 1 Lion, 8 Leopards, 70 Sambhar, 275 Cheetal, 163 Neelgay, 45 Chinkara and 75 Bhendki according to 1999 census.Kitty Fall
Kitty is a beautiful picnic spot 7-8 km away from village Bizwara. Here river Narmada divides in seven streams, between these streams there is dense forest, after some distance all these streams come together to form single stream. There is a Fategarh Fort, 8 to 9 km away from Kitty, which was built by Shershah Suri. There is a Forest Rest House to stay, the visitors may contact for reservation to District Forest Officer, Dewas.Kavadia Hills
These hills are made of lakhs of stone pillars which are of various shapes i.e. triangular, rectangular, pentagonal, hexagonal etc. There are seven hills of the same type. It appear that these stones are man made, because they appear to be minutely carved by human being, but in reality it is a creation of Volcano irruption. It may be vary well considered as eighth wonder of the World. On striking these stone pillars sounds like a metal pillars. According to the Hindu mythology, it is considered that during Mahabharat period these structures were created by the "Greate Bheem" to check the way of river Narmada to fulfill a vow with in a day, but Bheem could not do it and since then these stones pillars are lying there. It is about 10 km from Bagli H.Q. near Dharaji.Pawar Chatteries
The Chattries of Dewas impress us with its massive, powerful presence of Maratha architecture near the Meetha talab looks very attractive. These Chattries are indeed a statement of Pawar kings. What is more, the artifice, variety, esoleric and antique elusion in the place do suggest a successful baroque attempt to boost royal and civic pride.The faced of Chateries influences us overwhelmingly with its massive, powerful presence, while inside we are transported into a decorative world of muted extravagance and fantasy. The overbearing impression, as we leave Chattries, is of a gentle phenomenal with a serve, rather forbidding external presence, concealing a jubilant, ever-playful heart within.
Gidya Khoh is a beautiful combination of man and nature. It is situated on Indore-Nemawar road and 9 Km away from Double Chowki. There is a spectacular waterfall surrounded by an attractive green valley. From the top of the hill, 600 feet smoky fluent flow of water is just recall the memory of Bharaghat of Jabalpur. A number of tourists come here in the rainy season for enjoying natural beauty, which is free from pollution.Khudel Devta
Malwa region is full of natural beauty and historical places. It is colorful, cultural and environment always attracted the scholar, historian and tourists.The villages and natural places of Dewas is making a way for peaceful forest journey. There is an ancient place in tribal area, known as Khudel Devta. On every Poornima (Full moon) and Amawasya (Lunar Conjunction) the tribes gather here to pay homage to the idols of Khudel Devta and to enjoy fall.
Mandsaur District forms the northern projection of Madhya Pradesh from its western Division, i.e.,Ujjain Commissioner's Division. It lies between the parallels of latitude 230 45' 50" North and 250 2' 55" North, and between the meridians of longitude 740 42' 30" East and 750 50' 20" East. The District is bounded by four Districts of Rajasthan, namely Chittorgarh in the west and north, Bhilwara in north, Kota in the north-east and Jhalawar in the east while Ratlam District of Madhya Pradesh bounds it in the South. It extends for about 142 km. from north to south and 124 km. from east to west. The total area is 5521 sq. km. with a population of 1183274 in 2001. The District takes its name from the headquarters town, Mandsaur. The District is divided into four sub divisions and six tehsils. The sub divisional head quarters are at Mandsaur, Malhargarh, Sitamau and Garoth. Among the tehsils, Malhargarh and Mandsaur lie in the west, arranged from north to south. Similarly Suwasra Bhanpura, Garoth and Sitamau lie in the eastern part. Mandsaur is rich in archaeological and historical heritage. But what makes it famous is the temple of Lord Pashupatinath located on the bank of shivna. It is also famous for large production of Opium around the world. The slate pencil industry is the main industry of the district.
The climate of this district is generally dry except in south-west monsoon. Year may be divided in to four seasons. The cold season is from December to February. January is the coldest month with the mean daily maximum temperature at 35.00 C. and mean daily minimum at 9.30 C. This is followed by the hot season from March to the middle of June. May is generally the hottest month with the mean daily maximum temperature at 39.80 C. and the mean daily minimum at 25.40 C. Days are intensely hot in summer and hot dust-laden winds which below during this sesson add to the discomfort. On individual days in the summer sesson and in June bebore the onset of the monsoon the day temperatures often go up above 450 C.Thereafter the south west monsoon season starts and continues upto about the middle of September. The average annual rainfall in the District is 786.6 mm. The rainfall in the Districts in the region round about Sitamau- Mandsaur- Malhargarh , and in general increases in the northern part of the District from the west towards the east. The heaviest rainfall in 24 hours recorded at any station in the District was 323.9 mm. at Garoth on 1945 June 29.
Mandsaur's main attraction is lord Pashpupatinath temple. Pashpupatinath is synonymous name of lord shiva. This artistic effigy is built-up smooth, glowingly dark coppery fiery rock-block. The temple is situated at the bank of Shivana river. Its weight is 4600 kg. Height 7.25 ft. in curvature and 11.25 ft. in straight. It has 8 heads they are divided in two part. First part in 4 heads on the top and second part in 4 head bottom. Top 4 heads are clear, refined and complete then 4 bottom heads are not refined. This temple have four doors in the four directions but enterance door is situated in the west.This effigy's heads which is situated in the west are presenting fearful image of lord shiva. This heads make-up indicate three ras (relish) which is in bun-shaped hair with poisonous snakes, emerging third eye and opened underlip.In the centre tangled hair are surrounding snakes that is acquainted annihilation omkar (veda mantras symbolising God almighty).
Gandhisagar Dam is situated at a distance of 168 Km. from the District headquarter. The Dam is constructed on the Chambal River. Foundation stone for the construction of Gandhi Sagar Dam / Power Station in the District was laid by the Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on the 7th March, 1954. The work was started in 1957 in the power station, while power generation and its distribution commenced in November, 1960. The total expenditure on the construction of Gandhi Sagar Dam and Power Station was about Rs. 18 Crores 40 Lakhs. The expenditure on construction of Power Station was Rs. 4 Crores 80 Lakhs. Gandhi Sagar Power Station is 65 meter long and 56 feet wide. The Power Station has five turbines of 23 M.W. capacity, thus having a total installed capacity of 115 M.W. The Gandhi Sagar Power Station now supplies electricity throghout the District. Besides meeting the power requirements in the District, electricity from this power house is supplied to such far off places in the Madhya Pradesh and in Rajasthan state.
District Neemuch is situated in the north west border of Madhya Pradesh and south-east of Rajastan. Neemuch has been declared as a seperate district by MP Govt as on 30th June 1998. Earlier it was a part of the Mandsaur district. Three tehsils of undivided Mandsaur district fall under this new district namely Neemuch, Jawad and Manasa. It lies between the parallels of latitude 240 .15 - 240.35 North, and between the meridians of longitude 740 45 - 750 37 East. During British rule an army cantonment was established here. After independence, this cantonments has been converted into cantonements of paramilitary forces by the Govt. of India. Presently it is known as CRPF. Neemuch is also known as birth place of CRPF. Similar to Mandsaur district, Neemuch is also famous for its opium production. It has also a govt. factory know as Govt. Opium & Alkaloid factory under central govt. Other important crops are Wheat, Maize, Groundnut, Gram, Garlic, Soyabean, Oured, Mustard, Posta.
District Head quarter of Neemuch is near to Ajmer-Khandwa (Meter Gauge) Railway Line and Neemuch-Chittorgarh(Broad Gauge) Line. National Highway No. 31 goes along the heart of Neemuch district.
|Distance from Neemuch to|
|Neemuch at a glance|
|Area||3875 Sq Km|
|Female||353485 , 7,25,457|
|Female Literate||146581 , 406193|
|Male Female ratio( Per 1000 Male)||950|
|Population density per sq Km||170|
This historical building was established in the year 1818 by sir David Octorloni and named as Octorloni Building. It was built in four years. Now this big building is being in use as CRPF MES of the officers.
Ratlam is one of the important Districts of Madhya Pradesh. Ratlam is situated in North-West region of Madhya Pradesh from 23 05' North to 23 52' North Longitude and 74 31' East to 75 41' East Latitude. It is bounded by Mandsaur District in North, Jhabua and Dhar on the South, Ujjain on the East, Chhitorgarh and Banswara District of Rajasthan on the West, Shajapur District of Madhya Pradesh and Jhalawar District of Rajasthan on the North. The District of Ratlam was created in June 1948 and was reorganised in January 1949. It covers the area of the former princely State of Ratlam, Jaora, Sailana, Piploda, Ringnod Tehsil of Dewas Senior, Alot Tehsil of Dewas Junior and parts of Mandsaur Tehsil of Gwalior State, a few villages of Dhar State and Chief Commissioners provinces of Pant Piploda. The District is known after the Headquarters town, Ratlam which was also the headquarter of Princely State of Ratlam. Total Area of Ratlam District is s 4861 Sq.km. which is 1.11% of Total Area of Madhya Pradesh. For the Administrative convenience, Ratlam is divided in Six Tehsils and 6 Blocks. Ratlam has several chemical factories namely JVL, Hightech, IPCA, Shaba Chemicals, Bordiya Chemicals, Sujjan Chemicals etc. There are a number of manufacturing units of Copper wires and plastic rope etc. Ratlam is also famous for its gold and ornaments for its purity and designs. Ratlami Namkin (sev) is famous through out the country. Main crop of Ratlam is Soyabin, Wheat, Gram and Maize. It is also well known for Strawberry and Grapes.
The Average temperature of Ratlam is 55 F. The average rainfall of the District is 90 cm. Most of the rain occur in the month of July and August.
Ratlam is well connected both by Rails and Roads. Ratlam junction is Divisional head quarters of Western Railways. It has both Broad Gauge and Meter Gauge Railway Lines. Ratlam is situated on State Highway number 31 and 22. Ratlam is well connected by road to Madhya Pradesh and other states namely Gujarat and Rajasthan.
The Bilpakeshwara temple is located at a distance of 18 kms south-west direction from Ratlam. It is approached through a deviation fare-weather road about 3 kms from Mhow-Neemach Highway. This temple is dedicated to Lord Siva and is built in Pachayatana variety. It was constructed in circa 10-11th Century A.D., over low Jagati consisting of plain mouldings. It is easterly oriented Nirandhara Mulaprasada and this Mulaprasada includes Sapta-Ratha-Garbhagriha. The temple is recta in plan and consists of a Garbhagriha, Antarala and a Mahamandapa, all in axis facing East. This temple is built in Gurjara-Chalukyan style of architecture, a contemporary style of the Paramara temple architecture. Such type of temples are noticed at Atree and Krishnavilas, Kota, Rajasthan.
Jhar is located 12 kms, east of Bhatpachalana in Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh. It is connected with Kachhalana Road with Laptiya - Sandala. Jhar means a 'water spring'. The name Jhar probably has been assigned to this place due to a Jharana on the site. Jhar possesses the ruins of a Siva temple of Bhumija style which are assignable to the Paramara period i.e., 11th century A.D. The sculptures of this temple are lying scattered around it.
Shajapur District is a part of the Central Madhya Pradesh Plateau- Ratlam plateau Micro region according to the present scheme of regional delineation. The district is situated in the northwestern part of the state and lies between latitudes 32"06' and 24" 19' North and longitude 75" 41' and 77" 02' East. The district is bounded by Ujjain in the west, Dewas and Sehore in the South, Rajgarh in the East and Jhalawar district of Rajasthan in the north. Shajapur district in Ujjain division was brought during 1981 census. The district is identified from the headquarter town Shajapur named after honor of Shahjahan the Moughal Emperor who halted here in 1640. It is said that the original name was Shahjahanpur, which subsequently reduces to Shajapur. Since the formation of the Gwalior State, it has remained a district. The entire District lies in the drainage area of the Chambal which is a major tributary of the Yamuna. The Chambal itself flows towards the north beyond the western boundary of the district. Its tributaries flowing in the district, are the Parbati, the Nawaj, the Kali Sindh, the Lakhundar, the Ahu and the Au and the Chhoti Kali Sindh . The entire district is a part of Deccan Trap of Cretaceous Eocene age. The alluvium of ecent period is, however, found along the river Parbati in a narrow strip. The district has deep black and shallow black brown and alluvial soils of the northern region. Physio-cultural diversities in the district have led to sub-divide it into the following sub-micro regions:Agar plateau
The region is delineated over the western part of the district covering the major areas of Agar tehsil. There is a hill tract in the west of Badod town showing scattered hillocks in the north south direction. The presence of hills in the "center" has affected the drainage pattern. The height of this tract varies between 500 and 545 meters above the mean sea level. The slope of this region is towards the north. Dudhaliy and Kachhol are the main streams on the west which originate from the hill tract and drain towards the west Chhoti Kali Sindh, which is the main perennial stream of the region, flows northwards on the western border of the region.
The region stretches from north to south in the middle of the district covering considerable portions of Agar and Shajapur tehsils and small part of Susner tehsil. It is a part of Malwa plateau with typical topography. There is a continuous chain of hills in the entire region. The height of the region varies between 450 and 530 meters above the mean sea level. The surface height decreases towards the north. Since it is an upland area, a number of seasonal streams originate from this zone and drain mostly towards the east. Lakundar and Ahu are the main streams flowing from south to north in this region. The streams, which join Lakundar rivers on its left bank, originate from this hill tract. Ahu River drains along the western border of the region. The hilly terrain is covered with the forests.
The region is elongated between the southern and northern limits of the district. It occupies the major parts of Susner and Shajapur tehsils and a very small part of Agar tehsil. Southern part of the region is hilly whereas northern part has plain land characteristics. The hills gradually decrease in height form south to north. There are a few scattered hillocks in the central and northern parts also. The altitude of the region varies between 450 and 528 meters above the mean sea level. Numerous streams originate form the hilly area and dissect the surface. Kali Sindh is the main river, which traverses through the hills and further flows on the eastern border of the district. Lakundar is the main rivulets of Kali Sindh that flows northwards. Geologically the entire region is a part of Deccan Trap of Creataceous Eocene period.
This region extends over the eastern part of the district covering the entire Shujalpur tehsil and a small segment of Shajapur tehsil. Being a part of Malwa plateau, it presents the dissected topography. A hill range enters this region from the north and extends towards the south. The southern part of the region is an upland area and northern part is relatively low lying. In the south, the hills are scattered and are eroded by various streams. The height at the region varies between 435 and 507 meters above the main sea level. The 450 meters contour encircles the area along Newaj river where the small hills are spread,. The river Newaj dissects these hills. The eastern part of the region is a low and Water dividing line of the western part can be decided by the tributaries of Newaj. The river Newaj and Parbati drains the region. River Parbati flows northwards on the eastern border of the region while river Newaj flows in the middle of the region. Both the rivers are parennial.
|Shajapur at a glance|
|Geographical Area||6196 Sq Km|
|Latitude||23.06 ° to 24.19 °|
|Longitude||75.41 ° to 77.02 °|
|Height From The Sea Level||453 Meters|
|Forest Area||67.93 Sq Km|
|Average Rainfall||938.3 mm|
|Maximum Temperature||45.0 ° C|
|Minimum Temperature||3.0 ° C|
|S C Population||283639|
|S T Population||35302|
|Age group 0-6 years population||234576|
|Total Geographical area||619600 hect|
|Total cultivated area||445000 hect|
|Total sown area||436207 hect|
|Total irrigated area||188288 hect|
|Normal Kharif area||387190 hect|
|Normal Rabi area||262000 hect|
|No. of Commercial Banks||46|
|No. of Colleges||7|
|Total no. of Health Centres/Dispensaries||223|
|Total no. of Veterinary Hospitals/Dispensaries||47|
Agar is a Janpad Panchayat of Shajapur situated in North-West of Shajapur . It is 80 Km from district head quarter . It is located on Indore-Kota Highway. There are so many temples , mosques, Church , in Agar . There is beautiful environment in Agar. In English time it was a Chhavani. There is red soil in Agar. District Ujjain which is famous for Lord Mahakal is just 70 Km from Agar. Agar is a heart of Malawa so it is called "Agar-malawa".Baijnath Mahadeo Mandir
Commander Martin of Gorkha regiment of British chhavani was gone to a war. His wife went to Baijnath mahadeo and made a request for his returning. When Martin successfully came back from war and a beautiful temple was constructed.Jama Maszid
In the centre part of the town the minal of jama maszid is under construction.Church
In Pushpa Convent School campus a beautiful church is there.Moti Sarovar
In rainy season when this pond is full with water, it looks very beautiful. This pond was onstructed in 1052 by Charan Abhayram Banjara. It is very important source of water due to its capacity.Kavada bhairav mandir
It is located near this Moti sarovar.Besides these places there are so many places like Tulja Bhavani mandir, Moula Ali Tekdi, Kalika mata mandir etc. are there. Badod
Ambika Mata Mandir in Amaba Badod, Harsiddi Mata Mandir in Beejanagari are very famous temples.Maksi
Shri Digambar Jain Atishaya Area, Maksi is a ancient pilgrim place of Jain Samaj. There are two temples in this area. One, which is known as "Bada Mandir" is very old and is a beautiful piece of architecture. Black coloured sculpture measuring three and half feet of Lord Parshavanath is carved on a large rock. It is also said of this sculpture that this sculpture originated from the core of the Earth. There are no written facts about this temple but from the architecture of the temple, archaeologists claim that it is very old. According to famous archaeologists Dr. Vanakar Saheb, the sculpture is from the Parmar age which was from Year 1094 to 1133.
Also the remains of Stone Age has been found in the northern hills of Maksi Village.Nalkhera
Temple of Mata Bagulamukhi is very famous in Nalkheda. It is very ancient.Shajapur
Mandir of Rodeshwari Mata , Dasi Hanuman Mandir, Bheroogarh Tekari are the famous pilgrim centres of Shajapur.Prachya VidyaPeeth
Prachy Vidya peeth is a Educational Centre for the studies and research of Indian Culture and Prachya Vidya. There are various collection of literature and hand written documents of ancient Jain , Bouddh and Hindu parampara. This is situated on the Dupada Road in district Shajapur . Dr. Sagarmal Jain is the founder Director.
Ujjain is situated on the right bank of River Shipra. It is a very holy city for the Hindus, a site for the triennial Kumbh mela. There are many great mythological legend about Ujjain city. Apart from mythological legends, the city has a long distinguished history. It was governed by the likes of Vikramaditya and Ashoka. Kalidas wrote his souls stirring poetry here. Today, Ujjain represents an interesting blend of an age old legacy and the modern day lifestyle.
Nearest Airport Indore (53 km) is connected to Bombay by Indian Airlines Continental Airways also operates flights from Bombay to Indore.By Train
Ujjain is a railway station on the Bhopal-Nagada sector of the Western Railway.By Road
Regular bus services connect Ujjain with Indore, Bhopal, Ratlam, Gwalior, Mandu, Dhar, Kota and Omkareshwar etc.
|Distance from Ujjain to|
|Ujjain at a glance|
|Geographical Area||6091 Sq Km|
|Climate (deg C)|
|Rainfall||101 cms (July to September)|
|Best Season||September to March.|
|Revenue Inspector Circle||16|
|Vidhan Sabha Area||7|
|Special Development Authority||1|
This temple situated above the tank near the Mahakaleshwar temple, enshrines a huge artistic sculpture of Ganesh, the son of Shiva. An idol of this size and beauty is rarely to be found. The middle of the temple is adorned by an idol of the pancha-mukhi (five faced) Hanuman. There is provision for learning of Sanskrit and Astrology in the temple.
The temple is built across the Shipra on the Fatehabad railway line. The Ganesh idol enshrined here is supposed to be swayambhu - born of itself. The temple itself is believed to be of considerable antiquity. Riddhi and Siddhi, the consorts of Ganesha, are seated on either side of Ganesha. The artistically carved pillars in the assembly hall date back to the Parmar period. Worshippers throng to this temple because the deity here is traditionally known as Chintaharan Ganesh meaning "the assurer of freedom from worldly anxieties".
This is an extremely attractive spot on the banks of the Shipra quite close to the Bhartihari Caves and the Gadkalika Temple. It is dedicated to the memory of one of the great leaders of the Natha sect of Saivism-Matsyendranath. Since muslims as well as the followers of the Natha sect call their saints 'pir', the ancient site of Pir Matsyendranath is venerated by both. Excavations at this site have yielded some antiquities which date back to the 6th and 7th century BC.
This temple occupies a special place in the galaxy of ancient sacred spots of Ujjain. Seated between the idols of Mahalaxmi and Mahasaraswati, the idol of Annapurna is painted in dark vermilion colour. The Sri Yantra, the symbol of power or shakti, is also enshrined in the temple.
According to the Shiva Purana, when Shiva carried away the burning body of Sati from the sacrificial fire, her elbow dropped at this place. There is an interesting legend in the Skanda Purana about the manner in which the Goddess Chandi acquired the epithet of Harsiddhi. Once when Shiva and Parvati were alone on Mount Kailash, two demons called Chand and Prachand tried to force their way in. Shiva called upon Chandi to destroy them which she did. Pleased, Shiva bestowed upon her the epithet of 'one who vanquishes all'. The temple was reconstructed during the Maratha period and the two pillars adorned with lamps are special features of Maratha art. These lamps, lit during Navaratri, present a glorious spectacle. There is an ancient well on the premises, and an artistic pillar adorns the top of it.
This enormous banyan tree on the banks of the Shipra, has been vested with religious sanctity as the Akashyavat in Prayag and Gaya, Vanshivat of Vrindavan and the Panchavata of Nasik. Thousands of pilgrims take a dip in the Shipra from the bathing ghat built here. According to one tradition, Parvati is believed to have performed her penance here. It used to be a place of worship for the followers of Natha sect. One legend has it that some Mughal rulers had cut off the Banyan tree and covered the site with iron sheets to prevent its roots from growing. But the tree pierced the iron sheets and grew and flourished. The little village of Bhairogarh near Siddhavat is famous for its tie and dye painting for centuries. In ancient times when trade with other countries flourished, exquisitely printed cloth from Bhairogarh used to find its way to Rome and China.
The worship of the eight Bhairavas is a part of Saivite tradition and the chief among them is Kal Bhairava, believed to have been built by King Bhadresen, on the banks of the Shipra. There is mention of a Kal Bhairva temple in the Avanti Khanda of the Skanda Purana. Worship of Kal Bhairava is believed to have been a part of the Kapalika and Aghora sects. Ujjain was a prominent centre of these two sects. Even today, liquor is offered as a part of the ritual to Kal Bhairava. Beautiful paintings in the Malwa style once decorated the temple walls, only traces of which are visible.
The fact that ancient Ujjain apart from its political and religious importance, enjoyed the reputation of being a great seat of learning as early as the Mahabharata period is borne out by the fact that, Lord Krishna and Sudama received regular instruction in the ashram of Guru Sandipani. The area near the ashram is known as Ankapata, popularly believed to have been the place used by Lord Krishna for washing his writing tablet. The numerals 1 to 100 found on a stone are believed to have been engraved by Guru Sandipani. The Gomti Kunda referred to in the Puranas was the source of water supply to the ashram in the olden days. An image of Nandi, belonging to the Shunga period, is to be found near the tank. The followers of Vallabha sect regard this place as the 73rd seat of the 84 seats of Vallabhacharya where he delivered his discourses throughout India.
Situated about 2 miles from the city of Ujjain, the deity in this temple is believed to have been worshipped by Kalidasa. The legend goes that he was an idiot and it is by his devotion to the goddess Kalika that he acquired great literary skills. Emperor Harshavardhan had this temple renovated in the 7th century AD. There is further evidence of renovation during the Paramara period. The temple has been rebuilt in the modern times by the erstwhile Gwalior State.
This temple is situated away from the bustle of the city and can be reached through a winding road. The temple looks upon a vast expanse of the Shipra waters and fills the onlooker with an indescribable sense of peace. Mangalnath is regarded as the birth place of Mars, according to the Matsya Purana. In ancient times, it was famous for a clear view of the planet and hence suitable for astronomical studies. Mahadev or Shiva is the deity which is worshipped in the temple of Mangalnath.
This huge temple is situated in the middle of the big market square. It was constructed by Bayajibai Shinde, the queen of Maharajah Daulat Rao Shinde in the 19th century. It is a beautiful example of Maratha architecture. The sanctum sanctorum is inlaid with marble and doors are silver plated. The door in the inner sanctum is said to have been carried to Ghazni from the Somnath temple and from thence by Mahmud Shah Abdali to Lahore. Mahadji Scindia recovered it and now it has been installed in this temple.
Situated on the Triveni Ghat of the Shipra, the temple is located away from the old site of Ujjaini town. It is dedicated to the nine planets, attracts large crowds on new moon days falling on Saturdays. Its religious importance has increased in recent years though there is no known reference to it in the ancient texts.
The presiding deity of time, Shiva, in all his splendour reigns eternal in Ujjain.The temple of Mahakaleshwar, its shikhara soaring into the skies, evokes primordial awe and reverence with its majesty. The Mahakal dominates the life of the city and its people, even in the midst of the busy routine of modern preoccupations, and provides an unbreakable link with past traditions
According to old tradition Chaubis Khamba constituted the majestic entrance gate of Mahakala-Vana. Remains of the boundary-wall are also in existence near this gate. Architectural design, of the twenty four ornate columns, belongs to the ninth or tenth century A.D. Two images of goddesses are installed one each on the either side of the gate. The names inscribed on the footstools are Mahamaya and Mahalaya. Looking at the graceful forms of these guardian-deities of the grand entrance structure. One can imagine the dimensions of the boundary-wall of the traditionally known Mahakala-vana, which is now covered under thick inhabitation.
Nagarkot Ki Rani is the guardian deity of the southwest corner of ancient Ujjaiyini. This is a place of some archaeological importance. Many popular tales of Vikramaditya and Bharthihari are associated with this place. The place is associated with the traditions of Natha Cult also. The tank facing the temple is of Paramar-period. Both the sides of the tank have two small temples. The idol of Kartikeya in one of the temples is assigned to Gupta period. The Temple is situated on the ancient mud Rampart and hence is known as the queen of the city wall i.e. Nagarkot Ki Rani.
Idols of Rama; Lakshmana and Sita in the Rama-temple and that of Janardana-Vishnu in the Janardana-temple belong to the seventeenth century. Both the temples present an attractive look from the point of view of their structural art. These temples were constructed by Mirza Raja Jaisingh in the Seventeenth Century. The boundary wall and the tank were added later in Maratha Period in the eighteenth Century. Beautiful examples of maratha paintings are seen on the walls of both the temples. Besides the attractive scenes from the lives of Rama and Krishna the painting of Bedalya Bua Maharaj and Sant Tukoba etc. are quite impressive. Certain old images are seen installed in both the temples as well as near the tank opposite Janardan temple which are very important from the point of view of sculpture also. The image of Govardhandhari Krishna near the tank belongs to eleventh century. The images of Vishnu installed in between the assembly hall and the interior of Rama-temple belongs to the tenth century and the images of Brahma, Vishnu and mahesha belong to the twelth century A.D.
This place is known as the Tomb of Maulana Rumi. According to a certain tradition, Maulana Rumi was a Saint. The architecture of this tomb is hexagonal. This monument is five to six hunderd years old. Some speak of Rumi as a Turkish trader while others take him to be a commander of some army unit. Indian Antiquary, Volume IV of octomber 1875, has published a biography including precepts of the great Sufi Saint Jelal-al-din Rumi. This monument appears to have been constructed in his sacred memory.
These caves are situated just above the bank of the Shipra near the temple of Gadkalika. According to popular tradition, this is the spot where Bhartrihari, who is said to have been the step brother of Vikramaditya, lived and meditated after renouncing worldly life. He is believed to have been a great scholar and poet. His famous works, Shringarshatak, Vairagyashatak, and Nitishatak, are known for the exquisite use of the Sanskrit meter.
Situated on the banks of the Shipra, the island-like site immediately conjures up the natural beauty of ancient Ujjain which poets down the ages have waxed lyrical. The glorious landscape of the flowing river on both sides of the palace and the man-made tanks and channels, with water gurgling through them, provide a spectacular backdrop to the imposing building.
The central dome of the palace is a beautiful example of Persian architecture. Two Persian inscriptions found in one of the long corridors of the palace record the visits of Emperor Akbar and Jehangir to this palace. The palace was broken down in the time of the Pindaris and was restored by Madhav Rao Scindia in 1920 to its present glory. The Sun Temple was also restored by the family.
This distinctive monument glows like a small jewel in the surrounding lush landscape. Vir Durgadas earned a secure niche for himself in the history of Marwad by his undaunting, selfless service to the State. He fought for the independence of Jodhpur after the death of Maharaj Jaswant Singh and helped Ajit Singh to ascend the throne against the wishes of Aurangzeb. Durgadas died at Rampura in 1718, and his funeral rites were performed according to his wishes on the banks of the Shipra. The rulers of Jodhpur had built the chhatri to consecrate his memory. This beautiful structure, built in the Rajput style of architecture, houses a statue of Durgadas which crumbled down.
Ujjain enjoyed a position of considerable importance in the field of astronomy. Great works on astronomy such as the Surya Siddhanta and the Panch Siddhanta were written in Ujjain. According to Indian astronomers, the Tropic of Cancer is supposed to pass through Ujjain. It is also the fist meridian of longitude of the Hindu geographers. From about the 4th century BC, Ujjain enjoyed the reputation of being India's Greenwich. The observatory extant today was built by Raja Jai Singh (1686-1743), who was a great scholar. He translated the works of Ptolemy and Euclid into Sanskrit from Arabic. Of the many observatories built by him at Jaipur, Delhi, Varanasi, Mathura, and Ujjain, the one at Ujjain is still in use actively. Astronomical studies are conducted through the Department of Education and the ephemeris is published every year. There is a small planetarium and a telescope to observe the moon, Mars, Jupiter and their satellites. The observatory is also used for weather forecasts.
Among the observatories built by Raja Jai Singh,The observatory of Ujjain has great importance in the period of ancient practical Astronomy. The Ujjain city was on the Tropic of Cancer. While the position of Kashi, Delhi, Jailpur and Mathura cities was towards the north from Tropic of cancer and still they are in the same direction . On the other hand the position of ujjain has been changed due to slow diminution every year in the maximum obliquity of the Ecliptic, resulting that the sun goes towards the north from the zenith of the Ujjain.
Established on the occasion of the second millennium of the Vikram era, as the cultural centre to perpetuate the memory of Vikramaditya, the Vikram Kirti Mandir houses the Scindia Oriental Research Institute, an archaeological museum, an art gallery and an auditorium. The Scindia Oriental Research Institute has an invaluable collection of 18,000 manuscripts on various subjects and runs a reference library of important oriental publications. Rare manuscripts in Sansrit, Arabic, Persian and other Indian languages cover a wide range of subjects from Vedic literature and philosophy to dance and music. Palm leaf and bark leaf (Bhurja Patra) manuscripts are also preserved in this institute. Apart from an illustrated manuscript of Shrimad Bhagavata in which actual gold and silver have been employed for the paintings, the Institute has a rich collection of old paintings in the Rajput and Mughal style. The museum also exhibits a rich array of images, inscriptions, copper plates and fossils discovered in the narmada valley. A huge skull of a primitive elephant is of special interest.
This academy was set up in Ujjain by the Government of Madhya Pradesh to immortalize the memory of the great poet dramatist-Kalidasa, and to create a multi-disciplinary institution to project the genius of the entire classical tradition, with Kalidasa as the apex, enable research and study in Sanskrit classical and traditional performing arts, and facilitate its adaptation for contemporary stage in different cultural settings and language groups. The Academy complex consists of a theatre, museum, library, lecture and seminary halls, mini stage for rehearsals, research facilities for scholars, and a large open air theater.
Ram Janardhan Temple, Ram Ghat, Harihara Teertha, Mallikarjuna Teertha, Ganga Ghat, Bohron Ka Roja, Begum Ka Maqbara, Bina Neev Ki Masjid, and Digambara Jain Museum are some of the other prominent places of interest in Ujjain.
36 kms from Indore on the National Highway No. 3, Dewas is famous for its hill- top temple of Devi Chamunda.Agar
66 kms from Ujjain. Ancient archaeological site.Nagda
60 kms from Ujjain. An industrial town with ancient temples.Sailana
Sailana, 21 kms from Ratlam is famous for its cactus garden with over 1200 species of cactus (only 50 are Indian); perhaps the biggest collection in Asia. It is also famous for its culinary tradition.Maksi
39 kms from Ujjain. Famous for Jain temples.Mandsaur
84 kms from Ratlam, Mandsaur is famous for the Ashtamukhi Pashupatinath Temple situated on the river Sivana. The width of the temple varies from 2 to 33 metres and its height from 3 to 55 metres.Gandhi Sagar
The river Chambal has been dammed at Gandhi Sagar, situated 91 kms from Neemuch, at the border of Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. The water spread is extremely scenic and picturesque.Bhanpura
Situated in the Mandsaur district, this place gets its name from King Bhaman. It is 127 km from Mandsaur, and has a museam depicting the popular arts of Mandsaur. Illustrated oil paintings are also to be found around Bhanpura. At the museam, art from the Gupta era to the time of the Pratihars and Parmars is depicted, and well- sculpted portraits of Uma- Maheshwar, Kartikaey, Vishnu, Gavoi and Nandi are displayed.