The Postal Index Number Code System, known as the PIN Code system was introduced in India on the 15th of August, 1972. The objective of PIN Code is to simplify the sorting of mails and speed up their transmission and delivery. PIN Code avoids the confusion which results out of duplication of names of various places. Correct delivery of mails is possible if the PIN Code is written, even when the address may be written in any language.
PIN Code Information
- Postal Index Number (PIN) is a 6 digit code.
- There are 8 PIN regions in the country.
- The first digit indicates one of the regions.
- The first 2 digits together indicate the sub region or one of the postal circles.
- The first 3 digits together indicate a sorting / revenue district.
- The last 3 digits refer to the delivery Post Office.