Khanna, its satellite town is the Asia's biggest grain market. Qila Raipur on the outskirts of the town is famous for rural Olympics.
Gurdwara Nanaksar, Gurdwara Mehtiana, Gurdwara Ishardham on the bank of river Sutlej at Harike, Jain Temple at Zira are the religious places are the places of Tourist interest in this area besides Bagha Purana, Kotkpura, Faridkot and Ferozepur. Moreover one of the biggest bird sanctuaries is also situated towards Makhu.
Moga is connected with a direct train to Delhi and other parts of India.There is vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Harayana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, U.P., Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Rishikesh, Kulu, Manali, Dharmshala, Dalhousie, Ganganagar and Vaishno Devi.
Nangal is on the Delhi Una line and there is a daily train "Himachal express" on this route.
Bhakra Dam, National Fertilizer Plant at Nangal, Gurdwara Sri Kes Garh Sahib and other historical Gurdwaras at Anandpur Sahib, Dashmesh Academy at Anandpur Sahib. Naina Devi shrine and Kiratpur sahib are the main attraction. There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Naina Devi.
Pathankot situated at the foot of hills and near the head of Bari Doab canal, is connected by rail and road with the rest of the country. It serves as a bridgehead between India and its State of Jammu and Kashmir. Pathankot has been the seat of Loi and Shawl weaving industry and lies at a point where the trade routes from the hills of Chamba, Nurpur and Kangra unite and enter the plains. A city with a population of 129198, Pathankot is spread over 22.10 Sq.Kms. Dalhousie, Dharamshala, Maclodgunj, Kangra Valley, Jwalaji, Chintpurni, are some of the various Hill Stations of Himachal Pradesh where you can go through Pathankot.
Pathankot and its surrounding areas once formed part of the territories of Nurpur (now in Himachal Pardesh). The dynasty of Nurpur was established by Jatpal alias Rana Bhet, a Taur Rajput from Delhi, who settled at Pathankot and took possession of all the country in the foot of the hills. Rajputs shifted their capital to the modern town of Nurpur (renamed after Begum Nurjahan) towards the end of seventeenth century. A muslim descendant of the Rajas of Nurpur Sayed Khan ruled over this territory till 1781. Pathankot also figures in Ain-i-Akbari as the Pargana Headquarter. Some believe it was a settlement of Pathans during the madieval times. The famous historian Cunnigham says that name of Pathankot came into vogue from the word Pattan.
Pathankot is connected with direct trains to Delhi, Jammu and other cities of India. The important trains include Jammu Tawi-Mumbai Express, Pooja Express from Jammu-Jaipur.There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, J&K apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Dharamshala, Dalhousie and Amritsar.
The small city of Ropar situated at a distance of 40 kms from Chandigarh on way to Anandpur Sahib. Ropar once called 'Rup Nagar' is situated near the Satluj between Nangal and Chandigarh. It occupies a prominent place not only in the ancient and medieval history of India but an equally conspicious place in the modern history also. It was here under a 'peepul' tree that a memorable meeting between Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Lord Williiam Bentick took place on October 31, 1831. The time worn old tree was uprooted in a storm a few years back. The relics excavated show that the town has flourished in the past with a very advanced civilization similar to the 'Harappa and Mohenjodaro' civilization. In addition a new industrial belt is coming up after crossing River Sutlej on Ropar-Nawan Shehar Road, where large number of industries such as Swaraj Mazda Ltd., DCM Engineering Works, Ranbaxy, Max India Ltd., Maxon India Ltd. and Montary India have been set up. There is also a Thermal Plant put up by Punjab State Electricity Board at Ropar. Besides cement plant has been set up by Ambuja Group of Industries near Thermal Plant at Ropar. It was here in 1874 that the famous Sirhind canal was channelised from the left side of the river Satluj.
The lake formed by the Ropar head works constitutes a major tourist attractions. 250 species of migratory birds visit the Sutlej water-body wetland, which is marked by a picturesque tourist resort here. At a distance of about 12 kilometers from here on the way to Nangal lies the Sirsa aqueduct. Nearby are the Guru Gobind Singh Thermal Plant and the Power Houses of Kotla and Ganguwal. Its archaeological Museum and Super Thermal Plant are famous.
Ropar is connected by train to Delhi and Una via Nangal by Himachal Express.
There is vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, U.P., J&K, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Important destinations include Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Rishikesh, Kulu, Manali, Dharmshala, Jammu, Naina Devi and Vaishno Devi.
Sangrur, the splendid capital of the erstwhile Jind State is situated on Ludhiana-Jakhal Railway line and is well connected by road with Patiala, Ludhiana, Chandigarh and Bathinda.and nearly 80 km from Patiala
It is completely built in marble. The structure is fully decorated with profusely carved marble slabs in the form of 'jalis' (perforated screens). Its reflections in the surrounding water on moonlit nights present a splended view.The beautiful Banasar garden, in addition to its walking trails and plantations is famous for its marble Baradari (building with 12 doors), mini zoo and the old Diwan Khana which is a museum now and which stands out of the middle of a pool. It is decorated with carved marble slabs and four towers. One enters the Baradari through a bridge leading to a marble gate on the western side. Banasar garden is open to public now has a mini and is now open to public. Diwan khanna where Rulers of Jind used to hold their darbars now houses a small museum which displays weapons and other articles used in princely times.
Sanghol, is a village in tehsil Khamano 40 kms. from Chandigarh on Ludhiana road, it is situated on the top of a mound of great archaeological importance, which touches a height of 24 meters and is spread over an area of 200x200 meters. It has a prominent place in archeological atlas of India. A Budhist stupa was excavated in 1968, but in Feburary 1985 a rich treasure of 117 beautiful carved stoneslabs, pillars, crosbars, figures and figurines were excavated by the experts of the Directorate of Archeology, Punjab. Scholars have related them to Kushan Scuptures of the Mathura school of 1st and 2n century A.D. These treasures have since been displayed for art lovers and historians in the museum of sanghol.
Gurdaspur, which is a border district of the state, has played a significant role in the defense of the country. The history of Gurdaspur bears many expressions. It has a tinge of medieval India, volumes of early Sikh history, mughal invasions, mughal empires, history of local people, religion, places and above all history of people migrated from all parts of the country who adapted to local environment and belonged there. Gurdaspur being a geographical link to the heavenly kingdoms of Kashmir, and beyond, conceals within the history of unknown soldiers and their families which settled there, history of the oppressed people who later became united to fight against to what they perceived the larger evil by that time and were called Sikhs, some old buildings and few faint reminders of English Raj, remains of an ancient India and above all history of a river which became two, Ravi & Beas, and gave road to the habitat which was later known as Gurdaspur--The land of the Master(the guru) and the disciple(das), the land of oneness. And of course, with all this it carries a living history of all cultures which metamorphosed into one, the culture against other areas of the country, the matchless culture of Gurdaspur. Batala and Dhariwal are important industrial centers known respectively for the manufacture of machine tools and woolen products. Dera Baba Nanak and Sri Hagobindpur have great religious sanctity and Pathankot - a great tourist transit center has a number of picnic spots nearby. Other towns which has historical importance are
Adinanagar now known as Dinanagar is situated on Amritsar-Pathankot road, about 13 Kms. to the north of District Headquarter town of Gurdaspur. It was founded by Adina Beg Khan in 1730 AD (1752 AD according to Dr.Hari Ram Gupta). Adina Beg rose from ranks to be the Governor of Punjab in April, 1758 with the help of Marathas. He died on September, 1758. Adinanagar and its surrounding areas witnessed many a battles between Kanheya and Ramgarhia Misals. Maharaja Ranjit Singh became the master of entire upper Bari Doab in 1811.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh built a number of buildings at Adinanagar based on Mughal and European architecture and he used to spend most of his summer in this town surrounded by mango, graves and thick forests. Adinanagar was made the district headquarters of newly carved district of Adinanagar after the annexation of Punjab in 1849. Swami Sawtantra Nand founded Dayanand Math in 1938 - an institution which became a centre of learning and Ayurveda. In the course of time Adinanagar has been known for its Loi, Shawl and wood industries. A number of conduit pipe manufacturing units have been set up here after 1947. Dina Nagar is spread over 14.36 sq.km. area & has population 16968 according to 1991 census.
An ancient town replete with temples, gurudwaras connected with the marriage of Guru Nanak Dev, seat of Christian Mission, situated on the Amritsar-Pathankot road. Batala, the largest town of Gurdaspur district was founded about the year 1465 AD, during the reign of Behlol Lodhi, by Raja Ram Deo, a Bhati Rajput, on a piece of land granted to him by Tatar Khan, Governor of Lahore. Akbar gave it in Jagir to Shamsher Khan, his foster brother, who greatly improved and beautified the town and built a magnificent tank, which still exists. Batala was held by Kanheya and Ramgarhia (sikh confederacies). Sher Singh, son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, built a number of buildings at Batala. After the annexation of the Punjab, Batala was made headquarters of the district (subsequently transferred to Gurdaspur).
The principal manufacturers of the town have been cotton cloth and 'snsi' - a combination of silk and cotton. Batala became the centre of number of iron manufacturing units when ironsmiths of Sialkot shifted here in large numbers. According to 1991 census, Batala has 103367 population and is spread over 8.75 sq.km. area.
Sri Hargobindpur is about 41 Kms. from Gurdaspur and 60 Kms. from Amritsar. It is situated on the high bank of river Beas. The town was founded by Guru Arjun Dev, the fifth Sikh Guru after the birth of his son and successor Shri Hargobind. It was then known as Gobindpur. Guru Hargobind won a fierce battle at Rohilia near this place in 1621 against the Mughal armies led by Abdullah, the Faujdar of Jalandhar. At the place where Guru Sahib took rest during the battle, a Gurudwara known as Damdama Sahib has been constructed. The trade of the town was once considerable cotton and sugar was sent to other towns through the ferry at Sri Hargobindpur. But the trade has fallen since the introduction of railway communications. A long bridge constructed over river Beas connects this town with the districts Hoshiarpur and Jullundhar. It's population is 1461 according to 1991 census.
Dera Baba Nanak, one of the most sacred places of the Sikhs, is situated on the banks of river Ravi. It is 13 miles North-West of Batala and 22 miles from the district headquarter town Gurdaspur on the border of Pakistan. Sri Guru Nanak DevJi, the founder of Sikhism spent about 12 years of his later life at this place and died near the village Pakhoke, opposite to the present town and named it Kartarpur. His descendants, the Bedis, continued to reside upon the same spot, until the encroaching river swept away the village. Bedis built a new town and named it Dera Baba Nanak after their great ancestor. The town has a number of Sikh temples. Pilgrims come to this holy town in large numbers, also thousands of pilgrims visit this place on the eve of Maghi in the second week of January every year from all over the country. Precious robes, which were presented to him when he visited Mecca, are preserved here. Close by is Gurudwara Tahli Sahib. The town at present has a population of 7380 and was made the headquarter of newly created Sub-division of Dera Baba Nanak.
Kahnuwan was founded by Kahna, a Rajput of the Nur clan. When Sher Shah Suri conquered the Punjab, he settled a body of Afghans from Roh at Kahnuwan and in the adjoining district of Hoshiarpur. On the rise of Mughal dynasty, this Pathan colony gave rise to good deal of trouble, and to overcome them Akbar placed Salho, a Harchand Rajput incharge of this part of the country. The Harchands eventually drove out the Pathans and established themselves firmly at Kahnuwan. Kahnuwan has always been a great sporting resort, and numerous ancient buildings testify the antiquity of the town. Mughals made it a Pargana Headquarters. Situated at a distance of 18 Kms. from Gurdaspur this small town is inhabited by 6969 people.
The town Sujanpur is situated in the foot hills and forms part of Pathankot tehsil. The Bari Doab canal runs close to it. Sardar Amar Singh Bagga, a Sikh Sardar of Dharamkot, took this taaluqa from Sujanpur. Sujanpur was mostly inhabited by Kashmiris engaged in making shawls during pre-partition days. It has also served as a local collection centre for rice, turmeric and other products of the hills, below which it lies. Its population according to the census of 1991 is 16090 and covers an area of 0.31 Sq.Kms.
Akbar was proclaimed the Emperor of Hindustan (India) here on February 14, 1556 A.D. The coronation ceremony was performed on a masonary platform, now known as 'Takhat-i-Akbari.' Kalanaur, situated on the rivulet Kiran, a tributary of Ravi is an ancient town of the region of Gurdaspur. Sayed Muhammad Latiff attributes its findings to the Nur tribes of Rajputs, who migrated from Deccan into Punjab in early times. But it is believed that the word Naur is a corruption of Nagar, and the name was originally Kalanagar, after the celebrated temple of Kaleshwar Shivji, which stands on the old citadel close to Kiran. Kalanaur was plundered twice by Jasrath Ghakker (Khokhers) during the early 15th century and one of his strongholds. Akbar was enthroned here on his succession in 1556, and a masonry platform, which still exists about a mile to the east of the town was built to commemorate this event. During the reign of Akbar, Kalanaur attained its greatest splendour. The town lost its importance with the passage of time and most of its buildings disappeared because of the overflowing waters of Kiran and chaos and anarchy which followed the decline of Mughal empire. Banda Bahadur, the famous Sikh warrior plundered the town and spent some of his time here. The famous Shiva's temple is visited by thousands on the day of Shivratri. Kalanaur has been declared a notified area and has a population of 13062.
One of India's leading Textile Mill, world-renowned for the manufacture of woollen cloth is located here. Dhariwal, a small town of District Gurdaspur was known as Kacha Dhariwal in the begining of the twentieth century. Dhariwal derives its name from the village Dhariwal situated very close to the present town. It was a small settlement of a clan of Jats engaged mainly in agriculture. Mr. Egerton, a Christian missionary established Egerton Woolen Mills in 1882 on the banks of a branch of Upper Bari Doab canal. Upper Bari Doab canal was dug out in 1855 to irrigate the Districts of Gurdaspur and Amritsar. The small village since 1882 has grown into a small town. Dhariwal, situated on Amritsar - Pathankot road is known for its woollen products. Its population is 14214.
Qadian, main center of Muslim fraternity called Ahmadiya, after the name of its founder. It is venerated as second Mecca. Besides the Ahmadiya mosque there is a beautiful tomb of the founder. At this center Ahmadiyas from all over the world gather for their annual congregation during the last week of the year.
Madhopur falls on the Delhi-Jammu railway line and important trains which stop here include Jammu Mail and Chennai Mail.
There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, J&K and apart from private operators. Important destinations include Shimla, Chandigarh, Jammu, Dharamshala, Dalhousie and Amritsar.
Hoshiarpur is 45 kms. from Jalandhar by road. The Vedic Research Institute (V.V.R.I.) situated at a distance of 4 kms. from the town publishes books on lndology and Vedic scriptures and houses the Punjab Govt. Archaeological Museum. The town is known for manufacture of wooden toys, in-lay and lacquer finished furniture and musical instruments such as Harmonium, Tabla, Sitar etc.
Local tradition associates this place with the legendary Dhol. number of amalakas, buried walls, plinths, temple plans, idols such as a head of Vishnu, reclining Ganesha, Shiva Parvati, female figures or couples on architectural members and a statue depicting four Jina images seated back to back were found here. The site is lost in Dholbaha dam. Sculptures and artifacts found here are now exhibited in the Archaeological Museum at the V.V.R.I. The rare relics collected from here are of an astonishing variety. They are also in good shape.
There is a vast network of bus services of Punjab, Himachal, Delhi, Haryana, Pepsu, Chandigarh, Rajasthan State Roadways, apart from private operators. Chintpurni, Jwalaji, Kangra Valley, Dharamshala, Maclodgunj, Dalhousie are some of the various Hill Stations of Himachal Pradesh where you can go to through Hoshiarpur.
Lies mid-way between Roopnagar and Jalandhar across the river Sutlej and connects the plains of Punjab with the Himalayas at several points. It is famous for its sugarcane and jaggery.
Mansa today is known for being the home of one of India's greatest freedom fighters and martyrs, Udham Singh.The forests around Mansa were preserved as hunting pastures of the rulers of Patiala.
Malerkotla is an ex-Afghan State of Punjab. The city is famous in India for handwork: badges, insignia, beautiful hand embroidered jutties (Indian shoes). It is also known for treatment of bones through traditional indian style medicine.
Situated on a plot of about 5 acres on the outskirts of the town, this beautiful ldgah reflects a unique combination of architecture of different styles.
Malerkotla is an ex-Afghan State of Punjab. The city is famous in The great tirath of the Sikhs, Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib lies just on the outskirts of Sirhind. It is about 50 km to the north of Patiala on Patiala Roopnagar Road via Morinda. The serene and majestic comparative Gurudwara stands on the road side to attract the attention of all passerby's. Fatehgarh was known for its shawl weaving industry run by Kashmiris. Spread over an area of 1.50 Sq.Kms., Fatehgarh Churian's population is 11088.
The main Gurudwara commemorates the martyrdom of the younger Sahibzadas (sons), Zorawar Singh (9 years) and Fateh Singh (7 years) of the tenth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. They refused to apostasies from truth and religion under threat from their captor, the Suba of Sirhind and were suffocated to death in the walls, which were raised around them. Alongside is the Burj of Mata Gujri-the grandmother of these martyrs who could not survive the shock of their martyrdom. Nearby is the Gurudwara Jyoti Swarup where the cremation ceremonies of the three were performed under duress. A great fair (Jor Mela) is held here for 2 days in the month of December.
5 kilometers from Aam Khas Bagh connected by a link road. There are two inscribed Sand Stones with inscriptions. Only one of it is readable; "Subhan daughter of Behlol Lodhi who died on Friday, 11 of Safar 901 Hijri." The other grave, there, should be of Mir-i-Miran, Amir Sayyid, the son-in-law of the King.Built on a square platform, the semicircular dome of the tomb is supported by an octangular neck. The neck has fluted pillars of compound capitals of Hindu Origin in the four cardinal directions.
This beautiful and spacious mausoleum is a national historic monument which is a second Mecca by Suni Muslims, is visited an about August by thousands of Naqshbandi from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia and India. Can be reached both from Patiala, 50 Kms north as well as from Chandigarh by road and by train. The magnificent and spacious Rauza is a mausoleum which commemorates the burial place of Mujadid-alf-Saani Sheikh Ahmed Farooqi, Kabuli, Sirhindi who lived during the reigns of Akbar and Jahangir from 1563 to 1634. The old mosque in the vicinity is extant, so are several cenotaphs. The tomb of the Shah Zaman, one of the Kings of Afghanistan indicates that the Rauza was once considered a propitious burial place of high and mighty.
Not far from Rauza Sharif, Aam Khas Bagh, which, as its name denotes was a highway-inn for the use of royalty as well as common people. It was initially built by Babar and extended and almost rebuilt by Emperor Shahjahan. The royal part of the building has a mammoth water storage tank, a palace with beautiful murals on its walls, complete with hot-and-cold air conditioning facilities and a unique hydraulic system to work fountains.
Situated on the left bank of the river Sutlej at a distance of about 41 kms. from Ropar on the Chandigarh - Nangal Road, Anandpur Sahib, the abode of peace with its numerous Gurudwaras stands out in picturesque relief against the Naina Devi mountain range. An important pilgrimage site, it was here that Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru created the 'Khalsa' or 'the pure ones' by baptizing them. Anandpur Sahib is one of the seats of the five Sikh takhts or thrones. Sikhs from all over India visit this holy site especially on the occasion of 'Holla Mohalla' which coincides with the last day of Holi and marks the festival's finale) to practice the guru's edicts. Rich or poor, they serve in the langars, perform seva (service) by cleaning the gurudwara, its surroundings and the shoes of the pilgrims and above all, reaffirm their faith in their religion. The festival of Hola Mohalla celebrated here is renowned worldwide for the splendor of martial display exhibited by the Nihangs.
Takht Kesgarh Sahib - The Khalsa was born here.
Gurudwara Anandgarh Sahib Fort and residence of Guru Gobind Singh Ji with remarkable paved well.
Gurudwara Damdama Sahib place of coronation of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Anandpur Sahib, Ropar, depicts the saga of Sikh history. Its paintings have been done by leading contemporary artist of Punjab.
Situated at a distance of 45 kms from Faridkot named after the 40 'Muktas'- the emancipated ones, who had deserted Guru Gobind Singh during the battle of Anandpur Sahib but, taunted by their womenfolk had rejoined Guru ji and died to the last man in the battle of Khidrana. Muktsar is famous for its Sikh shrines . Muktsar also has a number of Gurudwaras such as Rikab Ganj, Datan Sahib, Dukhbhajan Sahib etc. which- commemorate incidents from the life of Guru Gobind Singh ji. Maghi fair, one of the biggest draws in Punjab is celebrated annually here in the month of January.
Gurudwara' Tuti Gandhi Sahib'
Gurudwara Tibbi Sahib
Gurudwara' Tuti Gandhi Sahib'
This Gurudwara is a tribute to those 40 soldiers of Majha who deserted the Guru Gobind Singh during the siege of Anandpur Sahib but later rejoined the Guru's army after being looked down upon by their women . These very soldiers died while fighting gallantly for him. When the Guru was enlightened about this fact , he kissed all dead and the dying and with tears in his eyes and as a sign of forgiveness, tore away their disclaimer which they had given to the Guruji before the desertion . In honour of their surrender , Guru Gobind Singh ji named them as the emancipated ones ' and those "Mukats " have been incorporated in the daily prayer of the Sikhs.
This is the spot from where Guru Gobind Singh ji shot his arrows at the enemies while fighting with Mughals. It was here that the Guru rested his weary limbs for a while.
Ferozepur city situated right on the Indo- Pakistan border covers an area of 4302 sq.km. According to a belief Ferozshah Tughlak who had a passion for founding cities founded Ferozepur in the 14th century. It is also stated that Ferozepur was founded by one of the Bhatti Chiefs named Feroze Khan but the first version is widely accepted. Ferozepur, with numerous holy shrines, historical places and memorials in and around, has earned a rare status. The hallowed samadhis of the martyrs Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev, the Saragarhi Gurudwara commemorating the heroic sacrifice of twenty-one Sikh soldiers at Saragarhi post in Baluchistan and the Jain Swetamber Temple at Zira constructed in 1890 A. D. are some of the places of pilgrimage showing the spirit of universal brotherhood.
It is well-connected by road and rail with important cities like Amritsar, Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Chandigarh, Delhi and the rest of the country.
Dead bodies of the hero- martyrs, Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev, who had been executed at Lahore on March 23, 1931 by the British Government for raising a revolution against the British Government, were cremated stealthily in the darkness of the night here. Every year on March 23, a fair is held when thousands of people gather to pay homage to the great martyrs.
Commemorates the battle, which took place on Samana Ridge of the Hindu Kush and Sulleiman. Ranges in 1897 when 21 soldiers of the 36 Sikh (later 4 Sikhs) regiment had died fighting to the last man against a several times greater force of the local tribal chiefs. The history of the battle is taught in French schools and forms part of the 8 narratives of collective bravery published by UNESCO. On 12th September every year thousands of people and ex-servicemen pay homage to the celebrated heroes here.
Zira was founded in 1890 A.D. Additions were made in 191 3-14 A.D. The paintings on the walls depict the ancient Jain culture and history. The main idol, believed to be one of the most sacred and ancient, was brought from Palitana Sidhgri in Saurashtra. There are also brass idols, some of which are older than twelve hundred years.
Anglo-Sikh War Memorial was set-up here in 1976 A.D. The portraits of important historical personalities and battle scenes executed by artists, Jaswant Singh and Kirpal Singh and some of the weapons used in those days are on display here. Poetic couplets of the contemporary poet Shah Muhammad are also embossed on the walls of the memorial which describe the detail of the battles in Punjabi language.
at village Jalawala, in Ferozepur district.40 feet high, rectrangular in shape, tapering towards the top and built in English bricks, the memorial was raised in 1850 in the memory of the British soldiers who lost their lives during the first Anglo-Sikh War (1845-46).
The city owes its name to the famous Sufi Mystic Baba Farid who has also found place in the Holy Guru Granth Sahib. Faridkot has many fine buildings, foremost among them being the former Secretariat building now housing the District Courts, Guest House, Clock Tower, Darbar Ganj and the Stadium.This place was given the status of a District by Late Giani Zail Singh, President of India, who belonged to this town. Though this place is not so modern, yet this city is far away from the hassle & bustle of the so called other advanced cities of Punjab. This place has got a Medical College named after 10th Guru Gobind Singh Ji, a Dental College, a school of Nursing, an Engineering College, a college for other honor subjects & numerous other educational institutions. Moreover ,this place is the first one in the region to have acquired its own Medical University, to supervise the working of all Govt. Medical institutions. This place is well irrigated by two canals which run on the outerskirts of this city. This place is otherwise very famous from political point of view. It is considered to be the hottest seat of votes during the assembly elections throughout Punjab.
Faridkot, the city of the great sufi saint "Baba Farid-ud-Din Masur Shakar Ganj " was formerly known as Mokalhar. This sufi saint visited the city long back in the year 1215 A.D. His shalokas & shabads have adorned Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. There he was forced to do labor for the the chieftain Mokalsi in the construction of Garhi situated close to Tilla Baba Farid. There occurred a miracle. As he was to work, the mud basket started to float over his head. All who saw this spectacular event, started to bow before this saint. Since that day he was requested to stay in the town & to bless the place.
This place is well connected by road & rail services. The city is quite close to the the international border with Pakistan, only 65 kms away from here.
A small monument which commemorates the visit of the great saint Baba Farid. Baba Seikh Farid Shakarganj was famous as the Sufi Saint of Pakpattan, near Multan (now in Pakistan). On his way to Hansi and Delhi, the Baba had halted at this place for some time. The city of Faridkot is named after him. His divine couplets are included in the scripture of the Sikhs.
In the year 1969,a committee headed by S. Inderjit Singh Khalsa & other members from every sects took the management of the two historic places --the famous Shri Godri Sahib, where the basket & other belongings of Baba Farid are kept, & Tilla Baba Farid, where the saint stayed for a while during his stay in Mokalhar. Every year in the memory of this great saint a procession is carried out & a District holiday is declared on the date of his birth.
'Jaitu Ka Morcha' at a distance of about 30km from Faridkot is a well-known event of the freedom struggle. The Gurudwara, center of an annual fair, celebrates the victory that the Akali volunteers had won over the British in 1923 against govt. interference in Akhand Path, continued recitation of the Sikh Scripture. The peaceful agitation became a watershed in India's freedom struggle. Pandit Nehru had courted arrest here.
Phagwara was founded by Shah Jahan in 1804 AD. One of the main markets for agriculture produce, known for textile products, has many Ramgarhia educational institutions.
Another satellite town Goraya produces fodder chopping machines of all types-called toka in Indian languages. Goraya is known as the toka town of India. Now it is famous for manufacturing harvesting combines and axles of all kinds.
Moga was an ancient market town connecting Majha with Malwa.Places of Interest in and around Moga.