The Rose Pink City founded by Maharaja Jai Singh II (1693-1743), is the capital of Rajasthan. The Old City (Known as the Pink City) is a great place to wander around. The whole city was painted in Pink colour by Maharaja Man Singh II when Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, visited Jaipur in 1876 AD. Today, every home within the city is obliged by law to maintain its facade. It is a very well planned city laid out in a grid pattern and was designed by a young bengali engineer and scholar by the name "Vidyadhar bhattacharya". The city is located at a distance of around 258 km from Delhi and 232 km from Agra. Jaipur got its name from its founder Sawai Jai Singh (1693-1743), who had the vision to create a meticulously planned city as his capital. Jaipur was and remains the only city in the world, symbolising the nine divisions of the universe, through nine rectangular sectors sub-dividing it. Jaipur is a royal city & this is its most noticeable aspect, small buildings & festivals testify it. Jaipur & its surroundings are rather like an endless museum. The city also offers an endless variety of crafts. Jewellers here still fashion the beautiful enamel-on-gold pendants, studded on the reverse with precious stones or pearls & turquoise that one sees in miniature paintings. Jaipur's lacquer bangles are famous all over the world. This is a city to be visited. The Pink City Jaipur, Capital of Rajasthan, is famous for it's blue pottery semi-precious stones & Handicrafts.
A major gem and jewellery centre, Jaipur is famous for Kundan work (enamel work on gold). Also there are woollen carpets, cotton rugs, marble statuary, enamelled wares, brass ware, hand-block printed Sanganeri and bagru Cotton fabrics, exotic blue pottery made from crushed quartz, leather footwear and more.
|Distance from Jaipur to :|
|Chattra Sagar / Neemaj||240 Km|
|Delhi (Via Alwar) |
|306 Km |
|Fatehpur Sikri||203 Km|
|Khimsar (Via Pushkar) |
| 330 Km |
|Sawai Madhopur||160 Km|
Located in the Ram Niwas Garden, the Central Museum or Albert Hall is a mixture of pillars, arches, and courtyards adorned with murals. There is a huge collection of objects displaying different facets of Rajasthani culture and history. There are miniature paintings, ivory carvings, costumed mannequins, and shields depicting scenes from the Hindu epics, among others.
Located in the Dil-e-Aaram Gardens, of Amer, this ancient capital of Jaipur was established in 1949. Prior to this, the excavated material from Rairh, bairat, Sambhar, Nagar etc. and the sculptures and epigraphs collected from various sites in the erstwhile Jaipur State were housed at Vidyadhar Gardens in Purana Chat. In July 1949, the entire collection was transferred to Dil-e-Aaram Garden, a part of the old palace at Amer. An Art Gallery was inaugurated in 1992 in this complex.The museum is divided into three sections.
In the epic period, the area around the district of Jaipur, Alwar and bharatpur came to be known as Matsayadesh with Virat Nagar as its capital. The museum, although not very large has the richest collection. The excavated material like potteries, pikkins, old coins, seals, metallic pieces, weapons and statues are exhibited here.
Just behind the beautiful Hawa Mahal(Palace of Winds) in the adjoining Partap Mandir, a museum was set up in the year 1983. Preserved here is the sculptural heritage collected from Ganeshwar, Virat Nagar, Raid, Sambhar and Nagar.
Located within the City palace complex and nested amidst old buildings, temples and the palace quarters, this museum was founded in 1959 by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II. It exhibits ancestral collections built up by the successive rulers of Amer and Jaipur.
The City Palace is now converted into a museum, except a small portion that is still used by the royal family of Jaipur. built in the fortified campus style, the palace covers almost one-seventh part of the city. One of the major attractions in the museum is the portion that is devoted to the arms and ammunition used by the royal family in the past. Other important attractions are the Textile and Costume Museum, Art Gallery, Chandra Mahal, Mubarak Mahal, and Diwan-i-Khas and Diwan-i-Am.
Strange though it may seem, this most famous landmark of Jaipur is not actually a palace but a series of sandstone screens. Jaipur signature building, the Hawa Mahal, a multi layered palace, was built by Sawai Pratap Singh (grand son of Sawai Jai Singh and son of Sawai Madhoo Singh) in 1799 AD and Mr. Lal Chand Usta was the architect. Famous for it's beehive like structure, the Hawa Mahal is an interplay of red and pink sand stone, carefully and painstakingly outlined with white borders and motifs.This pink structure was constructed so that the ladies of the palace could watch the royal processions without being seen by any outsider. This sandstone edifice was named Palace of Winds after the many brass wind vanes that adorned it until 1960s.
Standing tall over a small hillock overlooking the Pink City, Amber is the classic romantic Rajasthan fort-palace. Amber today is nothing but a reflection of the glorious past of the fierce Kachwaha Dynasty that ruled over this region from 12th to 18th century. Man Singh I started the construction of this fort in 1592 and, perhaps, it was the defence that topped his priorities before constructing this fort. The rugged walls of this fort may not look beautiful from outside, but the interior is a virtual paradise and painted scenes of hunting and wars adorn the walls along with precious stones and mirrors set into the plaster. Half the fun at Amber Fort is the walk from the road to the fort with majestic views of the surrounding valley. An elephant ride up to the fort is also an unforgettable experience.
Situated in the north of Jaipur, the Jaigarh Fort is structurally similar to the Amber Fort. The only exception is that it houses the mighty Jaivana, the largest wheeled canon in the world. Other attractions in the Jaigarh Fort include three water tanks, a museum, and breathtaking views of the city below.
Overlooking the Delhi Jaipur Highway, the image of the Amber Fort is beautifully reflected in the lake below. Within the Amer Fort lies the famous Jai Mandir (Temple) with its world renowned Sheesh Mahal, a hall full of Mirrors. The walls and the ceiling of the Mahal are covered with a beautiful array of mirrors, which reflect any streak of light, so as to illuminate the entire room. Located 9 Kms north west of Jaipur, the Amber Fort was once the Capital of the Minas.
Originally called Sudarshan Garh, it affords a splendid view of Jaipur.
Also known as the Laxmi Narayan Mandir, the birla Mandir, situated in the south of Jaipur, has been built by wealthy birla family, one of the largest industrial dynasties in India. This white-marble structure has three domes, each styled according to different approaches to religion.
The amazing astronomical three-storey-high observatory, of an 18th century Rajasthani king, named Jai Singh. It is located at the entrance to the city palace of Jaipur. before constructing this observatory, he sent his emissaries to all corners to the world, who returned with many manuals of cutting-edge technology including a copy of La Hire's Tables. He built the structures following every details given in the manual, but at the end, he found to his astonishment that the observatory was 20 seconds more accurate than that given by La Hire. The observatory has 18 large instruments, many of them still in working condition.
The terraced Sisodia Rani Ka bagh (the Garden of Sisodia Queen) is situated on the Jaipur-Agra road at a distance of 6 km from Jaipur. The garden was created by the queen of Jai Singh II as an escape from the court intrigues. The landscaped gardens and murals of the life of Lord Krishna, decorating its interiors, are breathtakingly beautiful.
An important historical place with the excavated remains of a circular buddhist temple - unique in Rajasthan and the earliest known temple in India. bairath also has relics of the Mauryan, Mughal and Rajput periods. A mint constructed by Akbar, a beautiful Mughal garden and a remarkable monument with painted 'chhatris' and wall built by Jahangir, are other attractions.
Galta (2.5 km)
beyond the gardens amidst the low hill guarding the city lies the old pilgrim centre of Galtaji. Temples, pavilions and holy 'kunds' (natural springs and reservoirs) dot the serene green landscape. The small temple of the Sun god, built by Diwan Kriparam on top of the highest peak, is visible form all parts of the city.
A huge artificial lake created by constructing a high dam amidst tree covered hills. While the temple of Jamwa Mata and the ruins of the old fort are some of its antiquities, its beautiful landscape makes it an idyllic picnic spot.
The beautiful Samode Palace, has been rebuilt and renovated and provides a fine example of the Rajput haveli architecture. It is an ideal spot for outings.
The Roopangarh Fort was constructed by King Roop Singh of Kishangarh in 1648 exclusively for defence. Originally a nine-turreted fort, new additions were continuously made to it in couse of time. The different styles of architecture can be distinctly observed in the fort Kishangarh and Roopangarh are both situated at a distance of around 100 km from Jaipur
Located on the Tonk Road. This small town is entered through the ruins of two 'Tripolias' or This small town with its ruined palace and old Jain temples is situated around 12 km south-west of Jaipur. However, more than its architecture, the town is famous for its block-printing and paper-making traditions. Chipa basti is the place where you can watch the printers in workshops doing screen and block-printing.
The miniature paintings of the Kishangarh School developed in the mid-18th century under the patronage of the royal family of Kishangarh. The hallmark of these paintings is the sharp profiles, slanted eyes, and aquiline noses that make them distinctively different from other paintings of the same genre in India. The main attractions of Kishangarh are its fort and Phool Mahal (Flower Palace), now converted into a hotel.
Ajmer was founded in the 11th century by Ajaydev, a local Rajput ruler. The city is famous for the dargah (tomb) of Sufi Saint Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Hasan Chisti, whose Urs is celebrated every year in the seventh month of the Muslim lunar calendar. Pushkar, a small holy town of Hindus near Ajmer, is now famous for its camel fair that attract the tourists from all over the world.
Sikar (115km from Jaipur)
Sikar is one of the three district which come under Shekhawati, the land of murals. It is 299 Km from Delhi with a population of 148000 and its STV Code is 01572.
Nestled in a narrow valley, this beautiful garden was built in honour of Jai Singh's chief architect and town planner.
There are memorials to the queens in the Maharani-ki-Chhatri complex near the Ramgarh road crossing. The white marble cenotaph of Maharajah Jai Singh II is the most impressive and is decorated with carved peacocks. Next to it is the cenotaph of his son. The island palace-Jal Mahal built by Sawai Madho Singh as a pleasure spot at the centre of the Man Sagar Lake, and the Kanak Vrindavan complex of temples and gardens recently renovated add to its pristine glory.
To the west of this road, in a narrow valley, is the royal cremation ground at Gaitor. The cenotaphs of all Jaipur rulers, with the exception of Sawai Ishwari Singh, who was cremated outside the Jai Niwas Garden, were built at this place. The imposing cenotaph of Sawai Jai Singh stands out for its delicate carvings and beautiful shape.