Home >> India Information >> Uttar Pradesh
Login
|
 Register Now 

Ballia

The district is the easternmost part of the state and borders on Bihar State. It comprises an irregularly shaped tract extending westward from the confluence of the Ganga and the Ghaghra, the former separating it from Bihar in the south and the latter from Deoria and Bihar in the north and east respectively. The boundary between Ballia and Bihar is determined by the deep streams of these two rivers. It is bounded on the west by Azamgarh, on the north by Deoria, on the northeast and southeast by Bihar and on the southwest by Ghazipur. The district lies between the parallels of 25° 33' and 26° 11' North latitudes and 83° 38' and 84° 39' East longitudes. The district had an area of 3168 sq. km. on June 2000, and occupied the 51st position in the State in respect of area. Jay Prakash Narayan, Chandra Shekhar, Chittu Pandey, Mangal Pandey, Hazari Prasad Diwedi, Acharya Parushram Chaturvedi and Rajvanshi Devi all these famous personalities belonged to this district.

District Ballia at a glance
Geographical Area (1991) 3168 Sq km
Population (1991)
Male 1162307
Female 1099966
Total 2262273
Rural 2038186
Urban 224087
Schedule Caste 332220
Schedule Tribes 173
Literacy (1991)
Total 791785
Male 562141
Female 229644
Administrative Set up(2000)
Tehsils 6
Development Blocks 17
Nyay Panchayat 163
Gram Panchayat 835
Villages (1991)
habitated 1792
Inhabitated 547
Total 2339
Town and Cites (1991) 9
Nagar Palika Parishad 2
Nagar Panchayat 7
Police Station (1999)
Rural 20
Urban 8
Bus Station / Bus Stop (1999) 290
Railway Station / Halt (1999) 20
Length of Railway Line
Broadgage (1998-99) 126 km
Post Office (1999)
Urban 18
Rural 329
Telegraph Office (1999) 46
Telephone Connections (1997-98) 3440
Commercial Branches (1999)
Nationalized Banks 56
Others 2
Rural Bank Branches 85
Co-operative Bank Branches 31
Co-operative Agriculture and village Development Branches 4
Fair Price Shops (1999)
Rural 1065
Urban 130
Bio-gas Plants (1997-98) 3632
Cold Storage (1999) 17
Agriculture (1997-98)
Net Sown Area 221 ('000 hectares)
Net Irrigated Area 160 ('000 hectares)
Gross Irrigated Area 229 ('000 hectares)
Agriculture Production(1997-98)
Food Grains 602 ('000 M.Ton)
Sugarcane 469 ('000 M.Ton)
Tilhan 1 ('000 M.Ton)
Potato 98('000 M.Ton)
Irrigation (1998-99)
Length of Canal 407 km
Government Tubewell 670
Personal Tubewells and Pump Sets 58436
Animal Husbandries(1998-99)
Total Live Stock (1993) 1672394
Veterinary Hospital 53
Live Stock Service Centre 40
Artificial Breeding Centre 20
Artificial Breeding Sub-Centre 44
Co-operative (1998-99)
Primary Co-operative-Agriculture Loan 165
Members of Societies 219
Education (1998-99)
Junior Basic Schools 1769
Senior Basic Schools 472
Higher Secondary Schools 148
Degree Collages 12
Industrial Training Institue 4
Polytechnic 1
Hospitals (1998-99)
Allopathic 27
Ayurvedic 63
Homeopathic 59
Unani 8
Primary Health Centre 83
Family Welfare Centre 74
Family Welfare Sub-Centre 292
Special Hospitals
Tuberculosis 4
Leprosy 1
Communicable 1
Length of Metal Road (1997-98) 1714 km
Total Length of Road Constructed by PWD 1298 km
Electricity (1998-99)
Total Electrified Villages 1782
Total Electrified Towns/Cities 9
Electrified Schedule Cast localities 1008
Entertainment (1998-99)
Cinema Halls 26
Total No. of seats in Halls 13164

District Barabanki

TDistrict Barabanki was known as Dariyabad with its headquarters at Dariyabad town established by an officer in the army of Mohammed Shah Shariqi by the name Dariab Khan. It remained the district headquarter till 1858 AD. The district headquarter was shifted to Nawabganj in 1859 AD now known as Barabanki. This was done during the expansion of the district by the British, when Kursi from district Lucknow and Haidergarh from district Rae Bareli were added to the, then Dariyabad district. The land of Barabanki district possesses a rich heritage in keeping with its glorious past. The place of pilgrimage of the Kanwariyas Mahadeva, the Kurukshetra of Mahabharat and the Parijaat tree - the animate symbols of Mahabharat era are also present as mile stones of the spiritual tilt of this sacred land of Barabanki district.

District at a glance
Geographical Area 1991 3895.40 sq km
Population ( In '000 1991)
Male 1155.14
Female 987.96
Total 2143.09
Rural 1918.22
Urban 194.59
Schedule Caste 581.69
Schedule Tribes .24
Literacy ( In '000 1991)
Total 538.77
Male 409.98
Female 128.78
Administrative Set up (2003-04)
No. of Tehsils 7
Development Blocks 17
Nyay Panchayat 154
Gram Sabha 1140
No. of Village (1991)
No. of habitated Village 1812
No. of Inhabitated Village 31
Total 1843
Towns and Cities (2001) 14
Nagar Palika Parishad (2001) 2
Cantt. Area (2001) 1
Nagar Panchayat (2001) 10
Census Town (2001) 1
Police Station (2001-02)
Rural 12
Urban 9
Bus Station/Bus Stop (2001-02) 93
Railway Station/Halt (2001-02) 19
Length of Railway Line (2001-02)
Broad Gauge 131 km
Post Office(2001-02)
Urban 26
Rural 339
Telegraph Office (2001-02) 19
Telephone Connections (2001-02) 25691
Commercial Branches (2001-02)
Nationalised Banks 40
Others 29
Rural Bank Branches 81
Co-operative Bank Branches 19
Co-operative Agriculture and Village Development Branches 6
Fair Price Shops (1999)
Rural 1094
Urban 118
Bio-gas Plants (2001-02) 4645
Cold Storage (2001-02) 16
Agriculture (2000-01)
Net Sown Area 252 ('000 hectares)
Net Irrigated Area 212 ('000 hectares)
Gross Irrigated Area 355 ('000 hectares)
Agriculture Production (2000-01)
Food Grains 706 ('000 M.Ton)
Sugarcane 857 ('000 M.Ton)
Oilseeds 8 ('000 M.Ton)
Potato 278 ('000 M.Ton)
Irrigation (2001-02)
Length of Canal 1325 km
Government Tubewell 194 km
Personal Tubewells and Pump Sets 79114
Animal Husbandry (2001-02)
Total Live Stock 1997 1231097
Veterinary Hospital 42
Live Stock Service Center 99
Artificial Insemination Center 34
Artificial Insemination Sub-Center 66
Co-operative (2001-02)
Primary Co-operative Agriculture Loan Societies 134
Members of Societies 238000
1997-98 14376
Education (2001-02)
Junior Basic Schools 1652
Senior Basic Schools 299
Higher Secondary Schools 65
Degree Colleges 6
Post Graduate College 3
University 1
Industrial Training Institute 1
Polytechnic 1
Public Health (2001-02)
Hospitals
Ayurvedic 20
Homeopathic 23
Unani 7
Primary Health Center 76
Community Health Center 6
Family Welfare Center 28
Family Welfare Sub-Center 367
Special Hospitals (2001-02)
Tuberculosis 1
Leprosy 4
Communicable Diseases 1
Length of Metal Road 2267 km
Total Length of Road constructed by PWD 2093 km
Electricity (2001-02)
Total Electrified Villages 1103
Total Electrified Towns/Cities 13
Electrified Schedule Caste localities 1149
Area covered under water supply using taps/ handpumps of India Mark-2 (2001-02)
Village 1812
Towns/City 14
Entertainment (2001-02)
Cinema Halls 8
Total No. of seats in Halls 2675

Places of Interest

Mahadeva Temple

TheThis ancient Shiv temple is situated at village Mahadeva in tehsil Ram Nagar of district Barabanki on the banks of Ghaghra. Lodheshwar Mahadev has ancient history to its credit. The Shivling in this temple being one of the exotic and rarest of the 52 shivlings on the surface of earth. It is said that, prior to the Mahabharat period, Lord Shiv wished to reappear on the earth once again. Pandit Lodheram Awasthi was a learned Brahmin, simple, kind and good natured villager. One night Lord Shiv appeared in his dreams. Next day, Lodheram who was childless, while irrigating his field, saw a pit from where his water was getting drained into the earth. He tried hard to plug it, but failed and returned home. In the night, again he saw the same statue in his dreams, and heard whispers saying 'The pit where water is getting drained is my place establish me there and I would get fame by your name.' It is said that, next day when Lodheram was digging the said pit, his implement struck a hard substance, and he saw the same statue in front of him, blood was oozing from the place where his implement had hit the statue, this mark can be seen even today. Lodheram was terrified by this sight, but he continued to digout the statue, but failed to get to the other end of the statue, so he left it as it is, and built the temple at the same place with half his name 'Lodhe' and the Lord Shiv's 'Ishwar', thereby became famous by the devotees name i.e. Lodheshwar. The Brahmin was then blessed with four sons, Mahadeva, Lodhaura, Gobarha and Rajnapur, villages named after them exist even today. There are several instances in Mahabharat where this ancient temple is referred to. Pandav after the Mahabharat had performed the Mahayagya at this place, a well exists even today by the name Pandav-Kup. It is said that the water of the well is having spiritual qualities and those who drink this water get cured of a number of ailments. In the history of the melas and fairs the world over, the fair held on the occasion of Mahashivratri at Mahadeva is unique. For the millions of devotees thronging the place, there is not a single woman devotee to be found during this festival fair.

Dewa

TheThe pilgrim town of Dewa is situated just 42 Kms. from Lucknow and 12 Kms. from the district headquarters of Barabanki in the heart of erstwhile 'Awadh'. This is the birth place of Haji Waris Ali Shah who was to influence the lives of many generations of people with his message of universal love for humanity. Haji Waris Ali Shah came of a family of Husaini Syeds, and was born in the first quarter of the 19th century. His father Syed Qurban Ali Shah died in his early childhood. Hindus held him in high esteem and regarded him as a perfect Sufi and a follower of Vedanta. Haji Saheb left for his heavenly abode on 7th April, 1905. He was buried at the spot where he died and this place is marked by a splendid monument erected in his memory by some of his devoted followers, both Hindus and Muslims. Every year Urs is held at the scared tomb in the month of 'Safar' (July). Haji Waris Ali Shah organized 'Urs' of his father in the month of Kartik (October-November) where a big fair known by the name 'Dewa Mela ' is held to commemorate the Saints. Pilgrims from all parts of the country and abroad come to pay their homage to the great Sufi Saints, Haji Waris Ali Shah and his father Qurban Ali Shah. A big cattle market is the highlight of the Fair. A good variety of cultural programmes are organized during the Fair including an All India Mushaira, Kavi Sammelan, Music Conference, Manas Sammelan, Seeratun Nabi etc. Sports loving people find great pleasure in events like Hockey, Volleyball, Badminton, Athletics, etc. Hundreds of brightly lit and decorated shops offer a variety of handicrafts, household utility items, toys, delicious snacks and exotic sweetmeats. A brilliant display of Fireworks marks the conclusion of the 10 days Fair.

Parijaat

TheVillage Kintur, about 38 Kms. east of district headquarters Barabanki was named after Kunti, mother of the Pandav. There are a number ancient temples and their remains around this place. Nearby a temple established by Kunti, is a special tree called Parijaat. There are a number of sayings about this tree, which have popular acceptance. One being, Arjun brought this tree from heavens and Kunti used to offer and crown Shivji with its flowers. The other saying being, that Lord Krishna brought this tree for his beloved queen Satyabhama. Historically, though these saying may have some bearing or not, but it is true that this tree is from a very ancient background. The following is said in the Harivansh Puraan about Parijaat. Parijaat is a type of Kalpvraksh, it is said to be found only in the heavens and, whosoever makes a wish under this tree, gets fulfilled. In the Religious and ancient literature, we find a number of references to the Kalpvraksh, but no description whatsoever of its existence can be found anywhere in the world, except for only Kintur (Barabanki ). Whereby this unique Parijaat tree of Kintur holds a special place in the world. In botanical terms, PARIJAAT is known as Adansonia digitata and has been kept in a special category, because it does not produce either its fruit or its seeds, neither can its branch cuttings can be planted to reproduce a second Parijaat tree. This is a unisex male tree, the botanist say, that there is no such tree anywhere else to be found. The leaves of this tree in the lower portion has five tips like the fingers of a hand, while at the upper reaches it has seven. Its flower is very beautiful and white in colour, on drying out it takes on golden tinge. This flower has five petals. This tree blossoms very occasionally, with very few flower, but when it does, that is after the 'Ganga Dashehra', spreads its fragrance far and wide. The age of this tree is said to be 1000 to 5000 years. The perimeter of the trunk of this tree is around 50 feet and height of around 45 feet. There is another popular saying that, its branches do not break or dryout but shrink and disappear into the original trunk. The nearby people consider it to be their protector and obliging, henceforth they protect its leaves and flowers at all costs. Local people hold it in high esteem, in addition to the large number of tourists who visit to see this unique tree.

Siddhaur

TheIt was initially known as Siddhpura, and as time passed by, it became Siddhaur. It is around 50 Kms from district headquarter Barabanki. It is adorned by the famous Siddheshwar Mahadev temple, and here in the months of December and January each year a big Fair is held on the occasion of Shivratri. There is a mausoleum of Sufi Saint Qazi Qutub and people come to pay their respects to this Sufi Saint. A big Fair is held here on the occasion of every Id-ul-fitr and Id-uz-Zuha.

Badosarai

Badosarai around 9 Km northeast of Ram Nagar tehsil headquarters, was established around 550 years by a spiritual King. About 6 Kms southeast of this place is the temple of Baba Jagjivan Das the founder of the 'Satnaami' sect at Kotwa, popularly known as Kotwa Dham, with a very beautiful pond nearby. Thousands of pilgrims take a holy dip in this pond during the Fairs held in the months of October and April. There is a mazar of a Sufi Saint Malamat Shah between Badosarai and river Ghaghra, who left for his heavenly abode about 300 years ago. People throng this place to pay their respects to this Sufi Saint.

Satrikh

TheIt is said that its original name was Saptrishi, because Guru Vashisht, the Kulguru of the Suryavanshi kings, preached and taught the young princes here. It is the penance ground of great number of Saints and ascetics. No certified evidences are available to give any authentic details prior to the Muslim rule about this place. This was the headquarter of Sayyed Salar Masood, the brother of Mehmood of Ghazni. His father Salar Shah's tomb is here, and people visit this monument to pay their respects. The main congregation is held during the full moon of 'Jaishtha' that is the summers. Sheikh Salahuddin had also come with Salar Shah and settled down in Satrikh.

Bhitauli

TheOn the banks of the stream Soti is Bhitauli, the last front of the Freedom fighters of the First war of Indian Independence in 1857-1858. Here Raja Guru Bux Singh with his men fought the British bravely. This place has a fort and sufficient remains of the freedom struggle and hence it has been declared as the place on the protected historical heritage list.

Masauli

TheThis is the birth place of Late Shri Rafi Ahmad Kidwai, great freedom fighter, politician and statesman of India. He was buried in Masauli after he left for his heavenly abode and a tomb was built in his memory.