Home >> India Information >> Uttar Pradesh
Login
|
 Register Now 

Banda

This is the easternmost district of Bundelkhand. The division of the district into two has been done by splitting Banda district into tehsil and block. Karwi and Mau Tehsils lying in the eastern and Southeastern direction comprising the Manikpur, Mau, Pahadi, Chitrakut and Ramnagar blocks from the present Chitrakut district. There are four tehsils namely Banda, Naraini, Baberu and Atarra comprising eight blocks of Badokhar-khurd, Jaspura, Tindwari, Naraini, Mahua, Baberu, Bisanda and Kamasin from the present district of Banda. There are seventeen thanas namely Kotwali City, Kotwali Dehat, Mataundh, Tindwari, Pailani, Chilla, Naraini, Atarra, Girwa, Kalinjar, Badousa, Bisenda, Baberu, Kamasin, Fhateganj, Jaspura and Marka. The district largely consists of irregular uplands with outcrops of rocks intermingling with mostly lowlands, frequently under water during rainy season. The Baghein river traverse the district from south-west to north-east. The tract lying to the right of the river is intersected by numerous smaller river and rivulets (Nallas), but to its left is a flat expanse, for the most part made up of Mar and Kabar soils, eroded and converted into ravines along the banks of the Ken and the Yamuna and to a lesser extent, the Baghein river and the Gadara Nala. The district falls into two sharply defined portions ; one is upland called Patha, situated on the Vindhyan plateau in the south of Mau and Karwi tehsils (presently known as Chitrakut district), the other is lowlands of alluvium (presently known as Banda district).

Important Personalities


Banda has produced some of the most eminent literary figures that have found a permanent place in the sphere of Vedic learning and Sanskrit. The district is said to be the birthplace of the great ancient poet Valmiki who has written the immortal epic Ramayana in Sanskrit language. His ashram at Lalapur Bagrehi hills was one of the ancient centers of Vedic Learning. Saint Tulisi Das in Avadhi dialect retold the great epic as Ramcharitmanas. Mohan Bhatt born in this district belongs to seventeenth century. He was a great poet and has written many poems. His son Padmakar Bhatt, Who wad born in 1753 A.D. and died in 1833 A.D. was also a distinguished poet, popular for his lyrics throughout northern India. His grandson Gadadhar, who wrote Chhanda Manjari and Alankarchandroaya, was also a great literary figure of the district. Gayadeen Kayastha who was born in Sambat 1890 was another renowned figure of the district. His great contribution is his work Chitagupta Vritanta. Haridas Bandijana born in Sambat 1891 is also remembered for his work Radha Bhushana. Asakandagiri who wrote Asakanda Vinod and Rasmodak contributed much towards the literary advancement of the society. Ganga Dutt, born in 1892 Sambat and Man Singh Awasthi who wrote Shalihotra were also reputed men of letters of the district. The name of Hanumandeen Mishra, Hari Das Bhattta and Sadho Ram cannot be ignored. All of them belong to nineteenth century. The district is proud of having produced the great poetess Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, who was born in 1904 A.D. (Sambat 1961). When married she shifted to Jabalpur where she took active part in the revolutionary movement. She had been assistant editor of 'Karmavira' magazine for many years. She also wrote many books. She was awarded 'Kesariya' award for her works.

District Banda at a glance
Geographical Area (2001)
Rural 4114.20 Sq Km
Urban 34.87 Sq Km
Population (In '000 2001)
Male 806.543
Female 693.710
Total 1500.253
Rural 1256.230
Urban 244.023
Schedule Cast 326.740
Schedule Tribes .048
Literacy (In '000 2001)
Total 664.686
Male 458.330
Female 206.356
Administrative Set up (2002-03)
No. of Tahsils 4
Development Blocks 8
Nyay Panchayat 71
Gram Sabha 437
Villages (1991)
habitated 653
Inhabitated 41
Total village 694
Town and Cities (2002-03) 8
Nagar Palika Parishad (2002-03) 2
Nagar Panchayat (2001-02) 6
Census Town (1991) 0
Police Station (2002-03)
Rural 10
Urban 7
Bus Station/Bus Stop (2002-03)
Rural 143
Urban 7
Railway Station/Halt (2002-03) 7
Length of Railway Track (2002-03)
Big Track 79 km
Post Office (2002-03)
Rural 192
Urban 16
Telegraph Office (2001-02) 9
Telephone Connections (2001-02) 11193
Commerical Branches (2002-03)
Nationalised Banks 28
Rural Bank Branches 50
Co-operative Bank Branches 11
Co-operative Agriculture & Village Development Branches 3
Fair Price Shops (2002-03)
Rural 612
Urban 80
Bio-gas Plants 1930
Agriculture (2000-01)
Net Sown Area 340 ('000 hectares)
Net Irrigated Area 87 ('000 hectares)
Gross Irrigated Area 114 ('000 hectares)
Agriculture Production (2000-01)
Food Grains 406 ('000 M.Ton)
Sugarcane 25 ('000 M.Ton)
Tilhan 4 ('000 M.Ton)
Potato 2 ('000 M.Ton)
Irrigation
Length of Canal 2001-02 1193 km
Government Tubewell 2002-03 434
Personal Tubewells and Pump Sets 2001-02 13943
Co-operative (2001-02)
Primary Co-operatives Agriculture Loan Societies 46
Members of Societies 75 (In '000)
Industry
No. of Runing Factories Registered under the Industrial Act 1997-98 12
Small Scale Industries 2001-02 1728
Workers 2001-02 5003
Education (2001-02)
Junior Basic Schools 1337
Senior Basic Schools 398
Higher Secondary Schools 67
Degree Colleges 7
Industrial Training Institute 1
Polytechnic 1
Hospitals (2002-03)
Allopathic 16
Ayruvrdic 20
Homeopathic 25
Unani 4
Primary Health Centre 55
Family Welfare Centre 19
Family welfare Sub-Centre 205
Special Hospitals
Tuberculosis 1
Leprosy 1
Transport (2001-02)
Length of Metal Road 1388 km
Total Length of Road constructef by PWD 1313 km
Electricity
Total Electrified Villages 2001-02 541
Total Electrified Towns/Cities 2002-03 8
Electrified Schedule Cast Localities 2001-02 489
Area Covered under water supply using taps/handpumps of India Mark-2 (2002-03)
Village 653
Towns/city 8
Entertainment (2002-03)
Cinema Halls 6
Total No. of seats in Halls 2691

Places of Interest

Kalinjar Fort

Kalinjar (Kalanjar), a historical fort situated in Banda district (Uttar Pradesh), is one of the most precious gift of India to the World hertige. This is one of the eight famous forts built by Chandela-kings during the end of 1st and beginning of 2nd millennium. Situated at the interface of U.P. and M.P. states of India this has been serving as the great barrier for ambitious kings/invaders aiming towards south. The celebrated hill fort of Kalinjar is situated in the village of Tarahti under the Naraini Tehsil on the 56 km. south of Banda. It stands on an isolated flat-topped hill of the Vindhya range, which here rises to a height of 244m above the plain. The main body of the fort lies from east to west, oblong in form, being nearly a mile in length by half a mile in breadth. The fort was built on strong 25-30 meter wide foundation, having height of 30-35 meter with 8 meter wide summit spread all around with length of 7.5 km over the hillock. The material used was big sand stone/granite pieces put over each other or using lime mortor occasionally. Alongwith strategic importance of Kalinjar fort, this has equally been appreciated as the great monument of the art and science of fortification and a gem of archeology. Much before fortification this place was considered to be one of the most revered places of devotional and meditational penance and has been cited in Vedas, Epics like Mahabharata and Ramayana, Buddha and Jain literatures. Kalinjar is the most respected and popular also in the folk songs of Bundelkhand. Kalanjar word was coined to represent lord Shiva who after consuming the deadly poison churned out of sea by Devas and Daityas together rested here and destroyed (Jaran) the time barrier (kala). People have a belief that Lord Shiva always remains here. A temple of Neelkantha Mahadeo built over thousand years ago still exist with its magnificent beauty and greatness.The stone -dug ponds/lakes created here are marvelous. The rare stone images related to Lord Shiva, Goddess Shakti, Lord Vishnu, Lord Ganesha, Bhairava and Bhairavi and others are of great importance from the science of image-making. The stone-carvings of animals, birds apsaras, mithuna, and such others are worth investigating. There are two entrances to the fort, of which the principal is on the north side towards the town and the other at the south-east angle leading towards Panna. The first entrance used to be guarded by seven different gates and they are approached by a short flight of stone steps. The first gateway, which is named Alam Darwaza is square, lofty and plain in construction and was probably rebuilt at the date of the inscription above it. Above this there is a steep ascent, chiefly by steps, to the second gate called Ganesha Darwaza. At a short distance higher up in the bend of the road stands the third gate, named the Chandi Darwaza. There is a double gate with four towers on which account it is also known as chauburji darwaza, or the 'gate of the four towers.' At this gate there are several pilgrim records and inscriptions of various dates. The fourth gate named Budhabhadra possesses only one inscription. The fifthgate, or Hanuman Darwaza is so named after a figure of the monkey-god carved on a slab resting against the rock. There is also reservoir called Hanumankund; there are, besides, numerous rock sculptures and figures carved on the rocks representing Kali, Chandika, Siva and Parvati, Ganesha, the bull Nandi, and the lingam. The sixth gate, called the Lal Darwaza, stands near the top of the ascent. To the west of this gate, there is a colossal figure of Bhairava cut in the rock. There are also two figures of pilgrims represented carrying water in two vessels fixed at the end of a banghi pole. A short distance leads to the seventh gate, called Bara Darwaza, or the main gate and it undoubtedly modern. The great lingam temple of Nilakantha, which is situated in the middle of the west face of the fort is a masterpiece of architecture. The facade of the cave once had been very rich, but is now much broken. On the jambs of the door there are figures of Siva and Parvati, with the Ganga and Yamuna rivers, which are of Gupta period. The lingam is made of a darke-blue stone, about 1.15m high and has three eyes. Just outside the mandapa of Nilakantha there is a deep rock-cut reservoir, called svargarohana and to the right of the reservoir in a rock niche there is a colossal figure of Kala-Bhairava, about 6m in height, standing in about 0.5m of water. Besides this status there is a figure of the goddess Kali, about 1m in height.

Bhuragarh Fort

Across the river Ken there are ruins of Bhuragarh fort said to be built with brown stones by Raja Guman Singh in 17th Century. This place was main center at the time of freedom struggle. A mela is orgainsed in this place called 'Natbali Ka Mela'.

Rangarh fort
It was built at the middle of the Ken river.

Khatri Pahar

Shydha a small village lies about 24 km distant from Banda among the ravince close to the ken river. Nearby in a hill called Khatri Pahar, the recorded height being 259 meters above sea level. On the top of the hill a small temple dedicated to Angleshwari Devi. The legend is that the devi, having to flee from the persecution of her meternal father Kans, rose bodily into the air and sought a place of safty. She tried the strength of the hill with her finger, but finding it incapable of supporting her weight went on to Vindhyachal. From her anguli, a finger the name Angleshwari Devi is derived. On every Navratri a large mela is organized. Nawab tank is situated about 3 kms south of Banda. This tank has been built by Nawab of Banda, and therefore it is known as Nawab Tank.

Bamdeo Temple

The temple is said to derived its name from Bamdeo Rishi a sage mentioned in hindu mythology as a contemporary of lord Rama. Bamdeo is said to have had his hermitage at the fort of a hill. There is one big and oldest Shivling is situated in the temple in the kho of Bambeshar Pahar.

Maheshwari Devi Temple

This temple is situated at the middle place of the Banda city. There are so many murties of Devis & Devatas in the temple.

Kairada village

Kairada village on the road from Banda to Mahoba, 15 Km distant from Banda and 40 Km from Mahoba. A metalled road connects to Banda and Mahoba. The foundation of the village was done in the Chandella period about 900 years ago. There is a tank situated here, which was build by special stone. In the 1857, when British army entered this village, four dogs and their mother contested fight and sacrifice their live from 1.5 km from the village. In the memory of this fight, Four Stone Pillars is situated on the Top of the 'TILA' in the Kairada village