Formed on 14th November 1976, Ghaziabad, the headquarter of the district of the same name lies on the Grand Trunk road about a mile east of the Hindon river in Lat. 280 40' north and Long. 770 25' east. The district of Ghaziabad is suitated in the middle of Ganga- Yamuna doab. In shape it is roughly rectangular, its length is 72 kms and its breadth is 37 kms. On the north it is bounded by the district of Meerut, on the south by that of Bulandshahar & Gautambudh Nagar and on the southwest by the national capital Delhi State and on the east by the district Jyotibaphule nagar. As it's boundary is adjacent to Delhi, it acts as the main entrance of Uttar Pradesh and that is why it is also called the 'Gateway of UP'. Ganga, Yamuna and Hindon are the main rivers flowing through the district and they are filled with water throughout the year. Other than these there are some small rainfed rivers, prominent among them is the Kali river. Apart from these rivers the Ganga Canal flows through the district and irrigation work is carried out through different branches of Canal. The Ganga canal also caters the drinking water needs of the people of ghaziabad as well as Delhi. The total area of the district is 1933.3 sq. kms. According to the census of 1991 the population of the district is 22,47,434 out of which 4,83,630 people are of schduled caste and 149 are of schduled tribe. There were 15,30,081 males and 12,05,397 females. Off all 9,40,469 people lived in villages and 18,55,009 people lived in the urban areas. According to the 1991 census there were 9,80,938 literate people in the district out of which 6,62,402 were males and 3,18,536 females. The density of the population per sq kms. is 1,127 and the population is 464.7 % higher than what it was ninety years ago. Ghaziabad is a growing industrial city. Its population having increased from 5,81,886 (in 1901) to 27,03,933 (in 1991) mainly on account of its rapid industrilization and its proximity to Delhi. A large number of persons reside here but carry on their trades in Delhi or are employed there. Ajrara (Tehsil Hapur)
Places of Interest
This village lies on the left bank of the Kali Nadi in Lat. 280 50' north and Long. 770 49' east, about 13 kms north of Hapur and 7 kms east of Kharkhauda which is both a Govt. Roadways Bus Station (on the Meerut-Hapur route) and a Railway Station (on the Meerut-Khurja line). The place is said to have been the seat of Hindu monarchy begore the advent of the Muslims. The name owes its origin to a Yogi named Ajaipal who built a thakurdwara (temple) here and called it Ajaipara, the present name Ajrara being its corrupt form. Khwaja Basant Khan, who got the village in Jagir in the time of Muhammad Shah, built a fort here which was razed to the ground by the Marathas in 1794 when Fateh Ali Khan rebelled.
Bahadurgarh (Tehsil Garh)
The village of Bahadurgarh lies in Lat. 280 40' north and Long. 780 7' east, in the southeastern corner of the district, 78 kms from Ghaziabad and 48 kms from Hapur. From Wahabpur Thera, a village on the Garhmukteshwar-Bulandshahar road, a kutcha road about 3 kms long leads to this village. The village was originally known as Garh Nana and was bestowed by Jahangir upon Nawab Bahadur Khan, a Pathan, who changed the name to Bahadurgarh. About 6.5 kms north to this place (near Mustafabad) there are the ruins of a village known as Raja Karan-ka-Khera which is set to have been founded by Raja Karna (of Mahabharata fame). The village was the original home of what has come to be known as Khurja pottery-an industry that was intriduced here from Multan about 250 years ago. It is also known locally for its handloom cloth. The products of the government dairy located here find a ready market in Delhi.
Dasna (Tehsil Ghaziabad)
This, the headquarters of the pargana, is sutuated in Lat. 280 41' north and Long. 770 32' east, to the east of the Hapur road at a distance 10 kms from Ghziabad and 24 kms west of Hapur. The place gives its name to a railway station on the Ghaziabad-Moradabad branch line of the Northen Railway, the railway station actually lying within the limits of the adjoining village of Masuri. Dasna owes its origin to Salarsi, a Rajput raja of Mahmud Ghajnavi's days. It is said that the raja had gone to bathe in the Ganga in order to get rid of his leprosy and, liking the place, settled down in it and also built a large fort there. While diging the foundation of the fort, a man is stated to have been fatally bitten by a snake, an incident which is said to have given the place its name, "Dasna", meaning to bite (used only for the bite of a snake). The village was ravaged by Ahmad Shah Abdali in 1760 when he pulled down the fort.
Dhaulana (Tehsil Ghaziabad)
The village lies on the road which takes off at Dasna and joins the Meerut-Hapur-Bulandshahar road at Gulaothi and is 25 kms from tehsil headquarters. It is connected in the north with the Pilkhuwa railway station by a 8 kms kutcha raod. According to a local account, the village was founded by a man named Dhaul Singh about 1500 years ago and was named after him. It was sacked by the Sikhs in 1780 and again became the scene of action during the freedom struggle of 1857 in which the local Rajputs took a leading part, 14 of them being said to have been hanged. In 1957 the villagers raised a memorial in honour of these martyrs. In a village there is a temple of Sati Malindi Devi, near which a fair is held. It is said that the villagers used to perform their worship in the village of Nagla Kashi but after a fight between the people of the two villages about a hundred years ago, those of Dhaulana built a temple in their village, which is still in existence.
Faridnagar (Tehsil Modi Nagar)
Faridnagar lies at a distance of 30 kms from the district headquarter and about 2 kms from Bhojpur block (on the Begumabad-hapur road) with which is connected by a metalled road. The place was founded in the times of Akbar by Nawab Farid-ud-din Khan (who received the land in Jagir) and it was called Faridnagar after him.
Hapur (Tehsil Hapur)
The headquarter of the tehsil, this is the largest tehsil of the district and lies in Lat. 280 44' north and Long. 770 47' east, 34 kms east of Ghaziabad. Hapur is a railway junction where the Delhi-Moradabad and the Meerut-Khurja lines of the Northern Railway meet. It is said that the place was founded about 983 A.D. by Haradatta, the Dor chieftain of Bulandshahr and Meerut, and was named haripur after him. Another derivation is from the word 'hapar' ,which signifies an orchard. Hapur is a leading grain and jaggery market of the country and is well known for its papar (savoury comestible something like a large wafer). Brass utensils and handloom cloth manufactured here enjoy a local reputation. A market is held on Mondays in which the main commodities of sale are ghee and earthern pots. Formerly, there were in the town five gates known as the Delhi, Meerut, Garhmukteshwar, Kothi and Sikandra, but no vestiges of their existence are to be found apart from the localities of their names. The Jama Masjid ( built during the reign of Aurangzeb in 1670) is the chief ornament of the town.
Jalalabad (Tehsil Ghaziabad)
Jalalabad, which gives its name to the pargana, 15 kms from Ghaziabad. Tradition traces its origin to the days of Akbar when, it is said, it was founded by one Jalal-ud-din who named the village after himself. The important crops of the place are wheat, gram and sugar-cane and the main sources of irrigation are wells and the Jalalabad distributary of the Ganga canal.
Loni (Tehsil Ghaziabad)
Loni, the headquarter of the pargana, about 17 kms northwest of Ghaziabad with which it is connected by a metalled road and about 10 kms from Shahdara (Delhi) to which it is linked by another metalled road running to Saharanpur. It also gives its name to a railway station on the Shahdara (Delhi)-Saharanpur Light Railway line.
Modinagar (Tehsil Modinagar)
Modinagar lies in Lat. 280 50' north and Long. 770 35' east, 25 kms northeast of Ghaziabad on the Delhi-Mussoorie National Highway (NH-58). Parallel to this road runs the Delhi-Saharan section of the Northern Railway with a railway station here. A metalled road, going to Hapur, passes through the town. It is of recent origin, having been founded by Gujar Mal Modi who established a sugar factory here in 1933, named the place after himself. Begumabad, which has contributed about 571 acres of its area to the making of this town, is a much older place and is said to have been founded by one Nawab Zafar Ali and to have been named Begumabad by a lady of the royal family of Delhi when it passed into here hands. Its importance has declined considerably with the growth of Modinagar as an industrial town. Sugar, vegetable oil, textiles(including rayon & silk), soap, paints, varnishes, and lanterns glycerine, cotton yarn, torches, carbon-di-oxide and flour are produced at Modinagar. A temple (built in the early nineteenth century by Rani Bala Bai Sindhia) which was formerly in the village of Begumabad, is now included in the notified area of Modinagar.
Mohan Nagar (Tehsil Ghaziabad)
Mohan Nagar, a modern industrial township lies in Lat. 280 41' north and Long. 770 24' east, on the G.T. road about 7 kms west of Ghaziabad, and 16 kms east of Delhi, the Sahibabad railway station lying about 3 kms southwest of the place. It was founded in 1958 by N.N. Mohan and is named after him. It has a yeast and malt extract plant, a brewery and a distillery, a cold storage, an ice factory and a plant for soft drink, all equipped with modern machinery mostly manufactured at workshops in the township itself.
Murad Nagar (Tehsil Modinagar)
A town in Lat. 280 47' north and Long. 770 33' east, Muradnagar is sutuated at a distance of about 14 kms from Ghaziabad. The place gives its name to a railway station on the Delhi-Saharanpur section of the Northern Railway, which lies nearly 3 kms southeast of the town. It was founded about four hundred year ago by Mirza Muhammad Murad Mughal whose mausoleum still stands near the town. The place possesses an ordinance factory (of the Government of India).
Ghazipur district forms the eastern part of the Varanasi Division. It lies to the east and north of the Jaunpur and Varansai district respectively between the parallels of 25° 19' and 25° 54' north latitude and 83° 4' and 83° 58' east longitude. This location is 67.50 m above the sea level. The length of district from east to west is 90 km and width from north to south is 64 km. The River Ganges from one side and Karmnasa from other side divided it from Bihar state. It is bounded on Bihar state in east, Jaunpur, Varansi and Azamgarh in west , Mau and Ballia in north and the Chandauli in south .The boundaries are generally conventional though at places they are marked by natural feature. The total geographic area of this district is 3384 Sq. Km. Ghazipur is embellished with picturesque geographical environs.This Place is a part of Mid gangetic plain. Total area is aprox. 3,33,209 hectare in which 2,52,824 hectare is for agriculture purpose. Appox 38 % of soil is cattlefield. This district does not contain any forest area. It is well connected with major cities of India by railways and by roads and it is on the way of the newly constructed Buddhist Circuit from Sarnath to Kushinagar at National Highway-29, which is a main attraction for Buddhist pilgrims, as it is the main center of preaches and sermon of Lord Buddha. This place is about 75 kms from Varansi. The nearest Air Port is Babatpur in Varanasi, which is just 70 kms away from here, where the daily flights for all the major cities and for Kathmandu, Nepal is available. As it is situated on the main route from Varanasi to Chhapara on Broad Gauge Line, hence it is well connected with New Delhi, Mumbai & Lucknow by rail also.