The district lies between 26° 47' and 27° - 20' north latitude and 81° 30' and 82° 46' east longitude It is head quarter of Devi Patan division which was constituted by praline of Faizabad division. District Balrampur makes its boundaries in north.To its west it is bounded by district Bahraich and some part of Srawasti on the east by the district Basti . In the south it is separated from district's Bara Banki and Faizabad by the river Ghaghara. In shape it is very irregular and seems as cup widest in north narrowest in south. It has got physical boundaries on two sides Kuon river in the north and as Ghaghara river in the south. Its length from Jarwal road in the west to Katra (Shivadayal Ganj) is 106 kms and width from kuaon in the north to Paska in the south is 77 kms. Before the division of district in 1997 it cover's on area of 7331 sq. km. on 25 May 1997 a new district Balrampur was constituted by separation of its 40% northern parts. Remaining area of the district Gonda is now 4448 sq km. Owing to the fluvial action Ghaghara frequent changes take place in the area of the district.
It is situated at a distance of 50 km from the district head quarters. The chief interest of the place is the temple of Swami Narain,which lie in 1.5 km south from the Railway station,Chhapia.This place is famous as birth place of Saint Sahjanand. Saint was the son of a Pandey who had married the daughter of co-sharer in this village. He was born in 1780. At a very early age the boy then known as Sahjanand migrated to Gujrat, where he was adopted by Ramanand, the head of the great Vaishnav monastery at Junagarh. He became a noted Sanskrit scholar and gained a wide reputation for learning and piety. After his death at the age of 49 he was accorded divine honours by his devotees as an incarnation of Lord Krishna under the name of Swami Narain. His immense wealth passed to his two uncle who went from Chhapia to Gujrat and their descendants ruled the two branches of the sent. In about 1845 his disciples in Gujrat determined to erect a temple at the birth place of the saint and a number of them came to Chhapia for this purpose. After annexation the place was of the enormous sum of Rs 500 per acre and the building adjoining the temple were completed. The temple which is built of stone. It is now being converted in Marvel. A large number of Pilgrim visit this place at all time in year but specially in the month of Kartika end on Ram Navmi.Paska (Sukar Khet)
This place is situated at the river bank of Saryu about 45 km southwest from district head quarter.The site is ancient fame for Sangam Asnan and one month Paush Kalwas which occurred in month of Paush. A large number of devotee's takes holy dips in Saryu here for Mukti of 'Pashu Yoni'. It is also believed that God Varha have taken Avtar here. It is said an old temple of Lord Varah was built here in 9th century, which was renewed from time to time. A part of boundary wall of old temple is visible now too. Idol's of temple were stolen a few year's ago. A Kacha ghat and some small temples are being used by devotee's. Paska is also related with noted litererian 'Goswami Tulsidas' and known as his Guru bhumi. A mass of Hindi litererian proclaimed that Suker Khet Gonda is birth place of Tulsidas. The original village Rajapur is 6 km from here. Paska is known as place of Guru Narharidas. A ruin in south of Varah mandir is denoted as Kuti of that saint, where Tulsidas heard Ram Katha, instance given in his literature. Thus Rajapur & Paska both are place of interest of litererian.Varahi Dev
About 6 km in east from Paska another ancient place of Varahi Devi known as Uttari Bhawani is situated in Tarabganj Tehsil. An old temple of Bhagwati's attract a large number of devotee's here, specially in both Navratra. The place is known as a part of Suker Jhet. The image of Aadi Shakti Varahi is related with shakti of Varha in Paska.Prash
This place is in north of Saryu & situated in Tehsil Tarabganj. The place is related with ancient Saint Parashar, grand son of Bashishtha & son of Sakti. It is said his mother's name was Adrishyawanti. Rishi Parashar is known as creator of famous Samrthen of the same name. A temple in his memory is situated here.
At 21 km in north of Gonda city this holy place is situated. Legend believed that an Ashram of Muni Uddalaqu was here, the place is also the origin of river Manorama. An old pond with Pakka Ghat & a temple is here. Mela on Kartik Purinima is been celebrated every year.Prithvi Nathan Mahadeo
At a short distance in south of Kharagupur old temple of lord Shiva is situated. Legend relates it with Mahabharat. This area was then known as Pancharayan. The present temple was reconstructed by Maharaja Man Singh of Ayodhya. A large Lingam with a well covered argha was found on the place at that time. The temple is very beautiful diffuse. Another temple of Pachran Nath is situated at a few distance from the main temple.Jhali Dham
This place is known as place of devotion and situated one km away from Prithvi Nathan Mahadeo.This is a shrine of a famous Saint of the same name. A Temple Pokhra and shrine of the Saint are main attraction of the place.Parvati Mahadeo
The place is related with history of Ramayna, it is situated in village Mahadeo on bank of Parvati Jheel. According to Satyopakhyan on RamKatha relatives of Raja Dasrath from Mithila were visited the place. An old temple, natural beauty of Jheel can be viewed from here. There is another Jheel Arga is on short distance in westnorth of Parvatee.Colonelganj Sakraura
Colonelganj is city board & tehsil headquarter. The old name of place was Sakraura. It was a village of no peculiar importance till 1780 when a force was sent under the command of Majar Byuge by the Nawab Vazir to bring to terms the refractory chieftains of the Trans Ghaghra. Later on the containment were maintained here till annexation . The place was selected as the military headquarter. During the freedom struggle of 1857, then Indian forces joined the freedom struggle and the English Officer escaped from here. Ruin's of English buildings are place of interest here.Gonda
The divisional headquarter Gonda was originally a Jungle. It is said that during the rules of Kalhans, Raja of Khorasa, it was the cattle station. Word Gintha afterword corrupted into Gonda. The town was founded by raja Man Singh, who built a place here and erected fortification's in shape of a deep moats. During the regime of Raja Dutt Singh, many rajput settled at Gonda. Dutt Singh built a large Palace. Sheo Prasad Singh, grand son of Raja Dutt Singh built Sagar Talab in shape of lake, island in middle with a temple. At present main places are temple of Dukh Haran Nath, Kali Bhawani, Hanuman Garhi and Khaira Bhawani in north of the city. Gonda was city of Talab as Radha Kund Sagar Talab, Pandey Talab example of this. The city consist glorious history of freedom struggle of Raja Devi Bakhsh Singh was leaded from here in 1857. A ruin of his Palace is witness of glory here. Tazzia & Durga Pooja Julus are being stayed for few movement in his honour. The city related with another hero Rajendra Nath Lahiri,who was hanged by British Government here in District Jail. A Shaheed Udyan is being developed near Fan Sighar. The city had memory eminent literian Zigar Moradabadi as his shrine in the city.