|Area||5024 Sq Km|
|Population (2001 Census)|
|Literacy (2001 Census)|
|Administrative Set up|
|Number of Villages (1991 Census)|
The nearest airports are Gwalior and Khajuraho.By Train
Jhansi is a junction on the Mumbai-Delhi route. It is well linked by an excellent railway network.
Jhansi is well connected by a good network of roads. It is situated on National Highway No.25 and 26. For Local Transport Taxis, Auto rikshaws and Tourist Cabs are available.
|Distance from Jhansi to :|
|Orcha (M.P.)||20 Km|
|Datia (M.P.)||28 Km|
|Shivpuri (M.P.)||100 Km|
|Gwalior (M.P.)||103 Km|
|Khajuraho (M.P.)||176 Km|
The fort of Maharani Jhansi has strategic importance since the earliest of times. It was built by Raja Bir Singh Ji Deo (1606-27) of Orchha on a rocky hill called Bangra in the town of Balwantnagar (presently known as Jhansi). The fort has ten gates ( Darwaza). Some of these are Khandero Gate, Datia Darwaza, Unnao gate, Jharna Gate, Laxmi Gate, Sagar Gate, Orcha Gate, Sainyar Gate, Chand gate. Among places of interest within the main fort area are the Karak Bijli Toup (Tank), Rani Jhansi Garden, Shiv temple and a "Mazar" of Ghulam Gaus Khan, Moti Bai and Khuda Baksh. The Jhansi fort, a living testimony of ancient glamor and valour, also has a fine collection of sculptures which provide an excellent inside into the eventful history of Bundelkhand.
Rani Mahal, Palace of Rani Lakshmi Bai embelished with multi colored art and painting on its walls and ceilings. Presently this palace is converted into a museum. It has a massive collection of Sculptures of the period between the 9th and 12th Centuries AD, housed here by the Archaeologral Survey of India.
The State Museum has a fine collection of terracotta, bronzes, Weapons, Sculptures, Manuscripts, Painting and Coins of Gold, Silver and Copper.
Maha Lakshmi Temple an ancient temple devoted to Devi Mahalaxmi was built in 18th Century. This glorious temple is situated outside Laxmi "Darwaza" near Laxmi Tal. Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chathri The Samadhi of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao is situated on the Laxmi Tal. After the death of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao in 1853 this ancient monument was built by his wife Maharani Laxmi Bai.
Ganesh Mandir, where the marriage ceremany of Maharani Laxmi Bai, the heroine of 1857 Inedependence war, and Maharajai Gangadhar Rao was performed. This temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesh.
This is where the Marathas fought the Bundelas in 1744. The place is named after the Barua Sagar Tal, a large lake created about 260 years ago when Raja Udit Singh of Orchha built the embankment. This fort, picturesquely located at a height, commands an excellent view of the lake and surrounding landscape. The town is situated on the road to Khajuraho.
District Jyotiba Phule Nagar lies in the west of Moradabad District adjoining Meerut, Ghaziabad & Buland Shahar. The district came into being on 24th April 1997 in the memory of famous social reformer Sant Mahatama Jyotiba Phule by combining Amroha, Dhanora & Hasanpur tehsils of Moradabad district. The district consists of 1133 villages, 3 tehsils, 6 Blocks & 11 Police Stations. Its geographical area is 2470 sq km. Extending from Latitute 280 54' North to 390 6' North and Longitude 780 28' East to 780 39' East. The maximum & minimum height from sea level are 240 ft. & 177 ft. respectively. Ganga river separates it from district Ghaziabad, Meerut & Buland Shahar. Ganga, Baha & Krishna are the main rivers of the district. The majority of the population of the district depends on agriculture besides the cottage industry like manufacturing of Dholak & Katholi, Handloom works are also taken up in Amroha, Beedi in Naugaon Sadat & Cloth weaving is now taken up in Bachraun. Milk & dairy products are attracting the attention of the peoples in villages and they are being associated with it by Cooperative Societies.
Headquarters of newly created district is situated here which is 30 km from Moradabad in the west on the Lucknow - Delhi Railway line. Mangoes & Fishes are available in abundance here. It is said that General Sharafuddin came here and local people presented him mangoes & fishes. Thus he named the city as Aam-Rohu which is now known as Amroha. It is also said that this city was built 3000 years ago by Amarjodh, the kind of Hastinapur. There after it was rebuilt by Amba Devi who was the sister of Prithvi Raj, the king of Delhi. Afterwards it became the state of Tyagis who ruled here till the arrival of Mugals. The important places of Amroha are :- Vasudev Mandir & Tulsi Park - Bayen ka kuan - Nasiruddin Sahib ki Majaar - Dargah Bhure Shah - Majaar Shah Vilayat Sahib
It is situated on National Highway no. 24 and 53 km away from Moradabad & 100 km from Delhi. It has been developed as an important Industrial city. Many large & medium scale industries like Vam Organics, Chaddha Rubber, Shivalik Cellolose of Hindustan Lever etc are situated here.Tigri
It is located on the bank of Ganga at about 62 km from Moradabad . Every year on Kartik Poornima, a famous Ganga Mela is held here and lakhs of devotees use to take holy dip.Kanpur
Kanpur is the biggest city of the state and is main centre of commercial and industrial activities. It is situated on bank of holy river Ganga and is about 126 meters above the sea level. It is one of north India's major industrial centres with its own historical, religious and commercial importance. Today besides being the most industrialized region of the state, Kanpur is also an important educational centre, with institutions like Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Agricultural College, Indian Institute of Technology, G.S.V.M. Medical College, National Sugar Institute and Government Textile Institute being located here. Apart from playing a stellar role in the development of the country as a whole, Kanpur has also been instrumental in making an unforgettable contribution to the Indian freedom struggle. Kanpur is an important historical town. This is the birth place of Ganesh Shankar Vidhyarthi & the poet of "Jhanda Uncha Rahe hamara" Sh. Shyam Lal Gupta "Parshad". The propagation and popularization of Hindi also owes much to this city, with great Hindu literatures like Acharya Mahavir Parasad Dwivedi, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, Pratap Narain Mishra, Acharya Gaya Prasad Shukla `Sanehi' and Balkrishna Sharma `Navin' having hailed from here. It is famous for leather and textile goods of fine quality. It is now one of the major industrial cities with aviation, wool and leather industries, cotton, flour and vegetable oil mills, sugar refineries and chemical works. The main shopping centres in the city are; The Mall, Birhana Road, Gumti No. 5, Parade, Naveen Market, Meston road and P.P.N. Market. The city centre also offers the shopper a delightful array of State Emporia, viz. UPICA, UP Handloom Emporium, The Mall; Phulkari, Punjab Emporium and Manjusha, Bengal Emporium, The Mall. Kanpur is also divisional headquarters of Kanpur commissionary consisting of following districts :Kanpur-Nagar
|Kanpur at a glance|
|Area||1040 Sq. km.|
|Population||2418447 (1991 census)|
|Altitude||126 meters above sea level.|
|Language||Hindi & English|
|Local Transport||Buses, Taxis, Tempos, Auto-Rickshaws.|
Chakeri Airport, Kanpur, has become operational since January 1996 and is serviced by , Archana Airways and other private airlines. Apart from this the nearest airport is Amausi, Lucknow, 65 km.By Train
It is situated on the main Delhi-Howrah railway trunk line. Connections to all the major stations of the country by express, super-fast and passenger trains.By Road
Kanpur is connected by road with all the major cities of the country. It is situated on National Highway No. 2 on the Delhi-Agra-Allahabad-Calcutta route and on National Highway No. 25 on the Lucknow-Jhansi-Shivpuri route.
|Distances from Kanpur to :|
The mound of Jajmau, on the eastern end of the city occupies a high place among ancient cities of the region. Excavations of the mound were undertaken during 1957-58 which unearthed antiquities ranging from 600 BC to 1600 AD. Jajmau,known as Siddhapuri in ancient times, is supposed to have been the kingdom of Yayati, the Pauranic king and the high mound overhanging the Ganga is known as the site of his fort. Today, Jajmau houses the Siddhnath and Siddha Devi temples and the mausoleum of Makhdum Shah Ala-ul-Haq, the famous Sufi saint, built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1358. A mosque built by Kulich Khan in 1679 also stands here.Shri Radhakrishna Temple (J.K. Temple)
This beautifully constructed temple is a unique blend of ancient and modern architecture. The even-level roofs of the mandaps have been provided with adequate ventilation for sufficient light and air. Among the five shrines in the temple, the central one is dedicated to Shri Radhakrishna and the others have idols of Shri Laxminarayan, Shri Ardhanarishwar, Shri Narmadeshwar and Shri Hanuman. This temple was built by J.K.Trust.Jain Glass Temple
It is situated in Maheshwari Mohal behind the Kamla Tower. It is a beautiful temple highly decorated with glass and enamel work.Temples of Shiva
The four famous and holy temples of Lord Shiva are also situated in Kanpur i.e. Aanandeshwar temple, Siddheshwar temple, Balkhandeshwar temple, Jageshwar temple.Gurudwara Banno Sahib
There is 350 years old only manuscript of Gurugranth Sahib and certified with the signature of Bhai Banno Sahib is also available in "Gurudwara Banno Sahib".Ghats
The Kanpur Memorial Church was built in 1875, in honor of the British who lost their lives in the war of 1857. The Church was designed by Walter Granville, architect of the east Bengal Railway. The complete Church in Lombardic gothic style is handsomely executed in bright red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interior contains monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets. In the separate enclosure to the east of the church is the Memorial Garden, approached through two gateways. Here the handsome carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule, stands. Its centre is occupied by the beautiful carved figure of an angle by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with crossed arms, holding palons, symbol of peace. Originally the statue and the screen stood in the Municipal Gardens in the centre of the city, over the site of the Bibighar well. The memorials were relocated here after independence in 1948. The Military Cemetery on the edge of the cantonment contains a number of interesting graves from the late 19th century. Within the city the king Edward VII memorial hall is noteworthy and Christ Church building, built in 1840.
Lies to the west of the Agricultural College in immediate neighborhood of the Allen Forest. It is under the possession of Singhania family and is a beauty spot of the city. There is a swimming tank with an equipment for producing artificial waves and suitable arrangement for lighting. Besides parks and a canal with facilities for boating, a zoo is also maintained. Kamla Retreat also houses a museum which has a good collection of historical and archaeological artifacts. Visitors are allowed only with prior permission from Deputy General Manager (Administration), Kamla Tower, Kamlanagar, Kanpur, UP.
It is a beautiful park in the heart of the city on the Mall Road. In the centre of the park is a building known as Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial. After the first World War there was an Orthopedic Rehabilitation Hospital in this building. It is now known as Ganesh Udyan. A museum can also be seen in Phool Baugh. The annual flower shows are held here. It has a Summer House and a large Public library.
The Kanpur Zoo was opened in 1971 and ranks among one of the best zoos in the country. It is an ideal place for outdoor life and picnics amongst picturesque surroundings.
To the west of Phool Bagh is located the Nana Rao Park. It is the site of the `Bibighar' of 1857. Formerly known as Memorial Well Garden, it is the biggest park in Kanpur. After Independence, it has been renamed after Nana Rao Peshwa, the hero of the first War of independence in 1857. It is very beautifully laid out and has a plant nursery.
Situated in Aryanagar area of Kanpur, this park has spacious lawns and play grounds.
This is drinking water reservoir of Kanpur Waterworks. It is situated Benajhabar area of the city. The area around the Jheel or lake have lately been developed into a beautiful recreation grounds and children's park.
This is the best and most famous play ground of Kanpur. International Cricket matches are held here and it is one of the best pitches in the world.
The Harcourt Butler Technological Institute was established in 1920 at Kanpur and is engaged in imparting technical training and industrial research.
One of the five IIT's, set up in 1959 at Kanpur, it provides education in the fields of engineering, technology, science and humanities.
Established in 1957 to provide education of agriculture, animal husbandry and veterinary science for the benefit of rural people.
The quiet and beautiful township of Bithoor is situated on the Kannauj Road, 27 km from Kanpur. Situated on the banks of the Ganga, this tranquil spot is of considerable historical and religious importance. Some Hindus consider the charming little town of Bithur, set in rich farming country beside the Ganges to be the center of the world. This secluded, tranquil place is full of religious significance, and associated with ancient mythology. However, few pilgrims, let alone tourists, come to this miniature Varanasi, where many of the ghats have been reclaimed by the river, since being devastated by the British bombardment that followed the uprising of 1857. Bithur's principal shrine, at the main ghat, is one of the few in the Hindu world to be dedicated to Brahma. It is believed that after the destruction of the Universe, and its subsequent restoration by Lord Vishnu, Bithoor was chosen by Lord Brahma as his abode. The town is also connected to the Ramayana, and specifically with Rama's wife Sita - this is where her sons were born, and where she died when the earth opened and swallowed her. The historic town of Bithoor, once famous by the name of 'Bavan Ghaton ki Nagri', (city of 52 Ghats) today left with only 29 Ghats. Much the best way to enjoy the ambience of the place is to rent a boat at the main ghat. Most are owned by the pandas (pilgrim priests), whose houses are huddled together with the dharamshalas near the ghat's dilapidated gate.
|Bithoor at a glance|
|Area||5 sq km|
|Population||7665 (1991 census)|
|Altitude||126 m above sea level|
|Festivals||Kartik Poornima Magh Poornima, Makar Sankranti Mela|
Nearest airports is chakuri Airport, Kanpur.By Train
Kalyanpur is the nearest station, but serviced only by passenger trains, Kanpur Junction is the most suitable station for Bithoor.By Road
|Distance from Bithoor to :|
This ashram is located at a height and accessible by a flight of stairs known as the "stairway to heaven". A panoramic view of Bithoor can be enjoyed from this ashram.Brahmavart Ghat
This is considered the holiest ghat of Bithoor. Devotees of Lord Brahma pray at the altar of the "Wooden Slippers" after a ritual dip in the Ganga.Patthar Ghat
The foundation stone of this red sandstone ghat was laid by Tikait Rai, a minister of Awadh State. There is a massive temple here dedicated to Lord Shiva. The shivlinga in the temple is made of "Kasauti" or the philosopher's stone.Dhruva teela
This marks the place where the child Dhruva meditated single mindedly as he stood on one leg. As a reward, God granted Dhruva the divine boon to shine for all time as a star. Other places of interest include Ram Janki temple, Luv-Kush temple, Haridham Ashram and NanaRao Smarak.Bhitargaon (59 km)
Situated in Ghatampur tehsil, Bhitargaon houses a unique architectural specimen - a brick temple belonging to the Gupta era. The very first shrine with a shikara, it dates back to 600 AD.Musanagar (65 m)
This ancient site of Musanagar with innumerable mounds deserved mention on account of the ancient temple of Muktadevi, which is said to have been built in Treta-Yug by Raja Bali. A large fair is held at Muktadevi temple on occasion of Kartik Poornima. Musanagar is also a rich archaeological site and has yielded a large number of artifacts and specimens of the post Harrapan, Shunga, Maurya and Kushana periods. The Muktadevi temple also offers an excellent view of the surrounding landscape. One can climb the roof of the temple dharamshala, from where can be seen the meandering Sengar river meeting the Yamuna down below, in a beautiful natural setting.Archaeological Sites Around Kanpur
Among other notable archaeological sites around Kanpur are the Shiv temple at Nimbia Khera, the Jagannath temple at Behta Buzurg, and the Lala Bhagat Pillar. Nimbia Khera is 12 km east of Ghatampur where there is a 9th-10th Century-old Shiva temple at Behta Buzurg. It is said that a week before the rainy season, drops of water fall from the stone which is embedded in the inner roof of the temple. The village of Behta Buzurg is 15 km from Ghatampur and 40 km from Kanpur, on the road from Ghatampur to Sarh. Lala Bhata, 92 km from Kanpur and 58 km from Derapur, houses the famous Kukkutadhwaj, more commonly known as Lala Bhagat Pillar standing in the middle of a modern temple. This red sandstone, 6.5-feet-high carved pillar with a small inscription once had a cock capital, the broken pieces of which now lie nearby. Dating the Ist century AD, the cock capital is of unique antique value.Angira Ashram
Thousands of years ago, one of the saptarishis, Maharshi Angira, chose for his penance a place near Bithoor, presently situated in Ankui village. The Jagannath temple here houses the original wooden idol of Lord Jagannath, said to be the same as that of the famous Jagannath temple.Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary (43 km)
Situated along the Lucknow-Kanpur highway near Unnao, is the Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. The sanctuary attracts rare Siberian migratory birds during winters, the main bird species being Pintain, Pigeon, Common teal, Shoveller, Pochard, Coot, Purple Moorhen and others. The ideal season for bird watching is between December and March.