Kushinagar, situated at 53 kms east from Gorakhpur on the National Highway -28, lies between lattitude 26° 45' N and 83° 24' E. The district head-quarters is Padrauna, 71 Kms from Gorakhpur and 336 Kms from Lucknow. It is a terai area covering the geographical area of 2873.5 Sq. km. It is bounded by districts - Mahrajganj in the west, Gorakhpur in the southern- west , Deoria in the south and Bihar state in the east.
Air strip of U.P. Civil Aviation is available in Kasia, 5 km from Kushinagar. Also, Air Force Station Aerodrome is 46 km from Kushinagar where landing and taking off facilities are allowed with due permission of the Air Force.By Road
Kushinagar is well connected with motorable roads and have regular bus service. Frequent road-transport is available from Gorakhpur ( 51 Km) as well as from Deoria (35 Km).By Train
Padrauna, district headquarter is linked with metre-gauge railway line from Gorakhpur. Nearest railway stations for reaching Kushinagar are Gorakhpur Railway Station (51 km) and Deoria (35 Km). Gorakhpur is well connected with all major cities of India and it has computer- reservation facility.
|Kushinagar District at a glance|
|Geographical Area||2873.5 sq km|
|Density of population||778 Persons /Sq Km|
|Decade Growth of Population (1981 - 1991)||28.09%|
|Trade & Commerce||23189|
|Administrative Set up|
|Number of Tehsil||4|
|Number of Block||14|
|Gross Area||292528 Hectares|
|Net Sown Area||216511 Hectares|
|Area Sown more than once||119636 Hectares|
|Area under Rabi||123089 Hectares|
|Area under Kharif||199338 Hectares|
|Area under Jayad||7334 Hectares|
|Forest Area||2870 Hectares|
|Gross Irrigated Area||206607 Hectares|
|Net Irrigated Area||115199 Hectares|
|Teachers Training Institute||1|
|Senior Basic school||225|
|Higher Sec./High School||54|
|Primary Health Centre||67|
|Family & Child Welfare Centre||16|
|Public water and Jalkal||1.16%|
|Fair Price Shops|
|Agricultural Marketing Societies||2|
|Bus Station/ Bus Stop||105|
This temple stands on the same plinth as the main Nirvana Stupa behind it. The reclining Nirvana statue of Lord Buddha inside the temple is 6.10 metres long and is made of monolith red - sand stone. It represents the "Dieing - Buddha" reclining on his right side with his face towards the west. It is placed on a large brick-pedestal with stone-posts at the corners. There is an inscription datable to the 5th Century A.D. recording that the statue was "the appropriate religious gift of the Mahavihara Swami Haribala"Nirvana Chaitya (Main Stupa)
Nirvana Chaitya is located just behind the Main Parinirvana Temple. It was excavated by Carlleyle in the year 1876. During excavations, a copper-plate was found, which contained the text of the "Nidana-Sutra" which concluded the statement that plate had been deposited in the "Nirvana-Chaitya" by one Haribala, who also installed the great Nirvana Statue of Buddha in the temple front. A copper vessel was also recovered which contained silver coins of Kumar Gupta, an emperor of Gupta Dynasty, 5th Century A.D.Ramabhar Stupa
Ramabhar Stupa, also called a Mukutbandhan-Chaitya, is the cremation -place of Buddha. This Site is 1.5 km east of the main Nirvana Temple on the Kushinagar- Deoria road. This Stupa has a huge circular drum with a diameter of 34.14 meters on the top consisting of the two or more terraces and is 47.24 meters in diameter at the base.Matha Kuar Shrine
A Colossal statue of Lord Buddha is installed, which is carved out of one block which represents Buddha seated under the "Bodhi Tree" in a pose known as " Bhumi Sparsh Mudra " (Earth touching attitude). The inscription at the base of statue is datable to the 10th or 11th Century A.D.Meditation Park
Recently developed near the main Nirvana Temple, this park has artificial water bodies with raised lush-green platforms for meditation surrounded by Sal-trees and other afforestations, representing a complete Buddhist-ambience.Indo-Japan-Srilanka Temple
Indo-Japan-Srilanka temple is a marvel of Buddhist architectural grandeur of modern times.Wat Thai Temple
It is a huge complex built in a typical Thai-Buddhist architectural fashion.Museum
Built by State Government in Buddhist-architectural ambience. Ancient archeological discoveries and antiquities are displayed there. Visiting hours are 10 am to 5 pm (except Mondays).Ruins & Brick Structures
These are located around the main Nirvana Temple and Main Stupa. These are the remains of various monasteries of different sizes constructed from time to time in the ancient period.
There are several other nearby temples to be worth seen like Linh Son Chinese Temple, Myan Mar (Burmese) Temple, Birla Hindu Buddha temple, Japanese Stupa, Korean Temple, Shiva temple, Ram Janaki Temple etc.Pawanagar /Pawapuri(Fazilnagar)
It is a 'Nirvana' place of Lord Mahavir, 22 kms east of Kushinagar on the National Highway-28. Followers of Jain sect organise a festival here on the next day of Deepawali every year, when Lord Mahavir has attained Salvation. It is also believed that Lord Buddha, while going to Kushinagar from Vaishali, stopped here to accept meals from one of his disciples 'Chund'. Here he ate 'Sukar-Maddav' (Mushrooms) and developed dusentry which caused his death at Kushinagar.Sun Temple, Turkpatti
Situated 17 km east of Kushinagar on Kasia - Tamkuhi Road. There are huge and artistic statues of Sun god, made of black stone.They were recovered during excavations one of which is belonged to 4th - 5th Century A.D. and another 8th - 9th Century A.D.
On Padrauna - Turkpatti route, this place has Shiv Temple, established by Kuber as per the saying. Lakhs of Shiv devotees offer Jal on Shivling on the 'Shivratri'.Devraha Asthan
3 kms from Padrauna cantonment, there is a huge ancient mount having three statues of Tirthankar Mahavir, tirthankar Neminath and Vishnu, one of the Trimurti of Hindu Gods. It is believed there stood a large Buddha Stupa also.Kurukulla Asthan
It is meditation centre of 'Aadi Shakti' Kurukulla Devi, setup by Nagarjun. It is situated on the river bank in dense forest 8 kms from Kasia - Tamkuhi road.Sidhua Asthan
Situated 4 kms from Padrauna - Tamkuhi road, it is famous 'Siddhi', place of gods.
|Lakhimpur Kheri at a glance|
|Latitude||27-6 to 28.6 (North)|
|Longitude||80.34 to 81.30 (East)|
|Boundaries||North - Nepal|
|West - Shahjahanpur & Pilibhit districts.|
|East - Behraich district.|
|South - Hardoi district|
|Total Area||7680 sq km|
|Main Rivers||Sharda, Ghagra, Koriyala, Ull, Sarayan, Chauka, Gomati, Kathana, Saryu & Mohana.|
|Parliamentary Constituency (2)||Kheri|
|Assembly Constituency (7)||Mohammadi|
|Nagar Palika (4)||Lakhimpur, Gola, Mohammadi, Palia|
|Town Area (6)||Kheri, Oel, Mailani, Barbar, Singahi,Dhaurahara.|
|Junior Basic School||1775|
|Senior Basic School||325|
|Sr. Secondary School||63|
Lakhimpur city is 135 km far from the state capital Lucknow. It can be easily approached by train (meter gauge) or UPSRTC bus services.
It is the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The Gola Gokaran Nath is also called by the name "Choti Kashi" It is the belief of the people that Loard Shiva pleased with the penance (Tapasya) of Rawana (King of Lanka) and offered for a boon. Rawana requested the Lord Shiva to go to Lanka with him and leave Himalya forever. The Lord Shiva agreed to go with a condition that he should not be placed anywhere on the way to Lanka, if he will be placed anywhere, he will be settled at that place. Rawana agreed and started his journey to Lanka with the Lord on his head. When Rawana reached the Gola Gokaran Nath (Gollihara of that time) he felt the need to urinate. Rawana offered some gold coins to a shepherd for placing the Lord Shiva on his head till he returns. The shepherd could not bear the load and he placed him on the land. Rawana failed to lift him up by all his efforts. He pressed him on his head with his thumb in full anger. The impression of Rawana's Thumb is still present on the Shivling. In the month of Chatra (April), a great fair is organised for one month known as "Cheti Mela".
The unique Frog Temple lies at Oel town 12 km from Lakhimpur on the route Lakhimpur to Sitapur. It is the only one of its kind in India based on "Manduk Tantra". It was built by the former king of Oel State ( Distt. Lakhimpur Kheri) in between 1860 to 1870. It is the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. This temple is built at the back of a large frog in the area 18 x 25 sq m. The Temple is constructed between an octa-hedral lotus. The Shivling installed in the temple was brought from the "Banasur Prati Narmdeshwer Narmada Kund". The face of the frog is 2 x 1.5 x 1 cub.mtr. towards north. The main gate of the temple opens in the east and another gate is in the south. The architecture of this temple is based on "Tantra Vidhya".
It is believed that the holy Shivling of this place was founded by the Asvasthama son of Guru Dronacharya in period of "Mahabharat". The temple was re-constructed by the former kings of Mehwa State (District Kheri.). This temple is also dedicated to Lord Shiva. The Shivling installed here is rare of its kind. It changes several colors in a day. It is true that every morning when the door of the temple is opened the Shivling is found in a worshiped position with the flowers and other worship items. It is belief of the people that Asvasthama is immortal, who worship here every day before opening the door. A great fair is organized in the Shrawan month (July) every day and each "Amawasya" of every month.
According to Bhagwat Geeta Janmejayi son of king Prikshit organized famous "Nag Yagya" at this place. In "Nag Yagya" all the snakes jumped in to the Hawan Kund by the power of the Yagya - Mantras. No snakes can be found in this area since then. It is believed that the snakes does not enter the houses where the holy soil of this temple is present. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is also believed that the "Devkali" daughter of Lord Brahama (Founder of the world) done a hard penance at this place. After the name of Lord Brahama's daughter this place is known as "Devkali".
Situated on the Indo-Nepal border in District Lakhimpur-Kheri of Uttar Pradesh, the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve with an area of 614 sq. Km is one of the finest, of the few remaining examples of the exceedingly diverse and productive tarai eco-systems. The northern edge of the reserve lies along the Indo-Nepal border and the southern boundary is marked by the river Suheli. It is home to a large number of rare and endangered species which includes Tiger, Leopard, Swamp deer, Hispid hare, Bengal Florican, etc. The grasslands of the reserve are the habitat of the largest kind of Indian deer-the Swamp deer or the Barasingha, so called because of their magnificent antlers (bara-twelve;singha-antler). Decline in their habitats led to a drastic decline in numbers and a small area named Sonaripur Sanctuary was set aside in 1958 for the conservation of this rare species of deer. Later, it was upgraded to cover an area of 212 sq. km and was renamed the Dudhwa Sanctuary. In 1977, the area was further extended to include over 614 sq. km and was declared a National Park. Eleven years later, in 1988, when Dudhwa became a part of Project Tiger, the area of the Kishanpur Sanctuary was added to create the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. About 1800 Barasingha are to be found in the reserve and majestic herds are especially seen in the grassy wetlands of the Sathania and Kakraha blocks.
The Reserve has a range of fascinating wildlife. Included the sloth bear, ratel, civet, jackal, the lesser cats like the leopard cat, fishing cat and jungle cats; varieties of deer - the beautiful spotted deer or chital, hog deer and barking deer. The hispid hare, a dark brown animal with bristly fur - last seen in the area in 1951 and believed to have become extinct, was rediscovered in 1984 to the great interest of conservationists. The short nosed crocodile - the mugger and otters can be seen along the river banks as well as pythons and monitor lizards. A bird watchers' heaven, Dudhwa is also noted for its wide variety-about 400 species. Its swamps and several lakes attracts varieties of waters fowl. Being close to the Himalayan foothills, Dudhwa also gets its regular winter visitors - the migratory water birds. The Banke Tal is perhaps the most popular spot for bird watchers. There are egrets, cormorants, heron and several species of duck, geese and teal. Noted for the variety of storks that make their home here, Dudhwa has the crane-elegant in its grey and red livery, black necked storks, white-necked storks, painted storks, open billed storks and adjutant storks. Raptors like the grey headed fishing eagle, Pallas fishing eagle and marsh harriers can be seen circling over the lakes in search of prey - creating pandemonium among the water fowl as they swoop low. An extraordinary range of owls are also to be found at the Reserve. These include the great Indian horned owl, the brown fish owl, the dusky horned owl, scoops owl, jungle owlet, the brown wood owl and tawny fish owl. Colourful birds - varieties of woodpeckers, barbets, minivets, bulbuls, kingfishers, bee eaters, orioles, drongos and hornbills are all part of its rich bird life. Dudhwa has also the ideal kind of terrain for the Indian rhino. Once found here in large numbers, they had been hunted down and had completely disappeared from this area by 1878. More lately, it was feared that epidemics and disease would wipe out the existing populations of rhino on Assam, West Bengal and Nepal and a decision was taken to distribute some in other suitable areas. In an exciting experiment, one male and five female rhinos were relocated here from Assam and Nepal, in 1985. Now well-settled in Dudhwa, their numbers have increased. At present, tourists are not allowed in the rhino area.
|Dudhwa Tiger reserve at a glance|
|Area||614 sq Km|
|Year of establishment 1977|
|Nearest Town||Palia (10 km)|
|Nearest Railway Station|
|Dhangarhi, Nepal||35 km|
|Winter||300 - 40C|
|Season||Nov. 15th to June 15th.|
|The Park remains closed between June 15th and Nov. 15th.|