Home | Astrology | Classifieds | Fun | India | Kids | Medical | Movies | Photos | Recipes | Yellow Pages | City Photos
Whereincity.comIndia Information

Other Information : PIN code | ISD Codes | STD Codes | Embassies & Consulates
 India InformationIndian States & UTsGreat IndiansEssential ServicesLok SabhaTrains Time Table
 Home >> India Information >> Uttar Pradesh
Login
|
 Register Now 


 
   Meerut

District Meerut At A Glance
Area 2564 Sq Km
Population (In '000 1991)
Male 1301.26
Female 1116.26
Total 2417.51
Rural 1329.04
Urban 1088.48
Schedule Caste 448.00
Schedule Tribes 08
Number Of Literates (In '000 1991)
Total 1010.27
Male 677.34
Female 332.92
Administrative Set Up (2000)
Number Of Tehsils 3
Blocks 12
Nyaya Panchayat 93
Gram Sabha 465
Number Of Villages (1991)
Number Of Habitated Village 613
Number Of Inhabitated Village 63
Total 676
Town & Town Groups (1991) 15
Municipal Corporation (1999) 1
Nagar Palika Parishad (1999) 2
Cantonment Area (1999) Nil
Nagar Panchayat (1999) 1
Census Town (1991) 1
Police Station (2000-01)
Rural 5
Urban 23
Bus Station/Bus Stop 290
Railway Station/Halt 11
Length Of Railway Line (2000-01)
Broad Gauge 56 Km
Post Office (2000-01)
Urban 79
Rural 176
Telegram Office(2000-01) 7
Telephone Connections (2000-01) 90080
Commercial Branches (2000-01)
Nationalized Banks 184
Others 7
Rural Bank Branches 0
Co-Operative Bank Branches 28
Co-Operative Agriculture And Village Development Banches 4
Fair Price Shop (2000-01)
Rural 461
Urban 334
Bio-Gas Project (2000-01) 6992
Cold Storage (2000-01) 43
Agriculture (1999-00)
Net Sown Area 203 Hectares
Net Irrigated Area 188 Hectares
Gross Irrigated Area 315 Hectares
Agriculture Production (1999-00)
Food Grains 385 (Hectares M.Ton)
Cane 6809(Hectares M.Ton)
Tilhan 3(Hectares M.Ton)
Potato 252 (Hectares M.Ton)
Irrigation (2000-01)
Length Of Canal 767 Km
Government Tubewell 347
Private Tubewells & Pump Sets 48387
Animal Husbandry (2000-01)
Total Animal Husbandry (1997) 748708
Vetenary Hospital 28
Animal Husbandry Service Centre 65
Artificial Breeding Centre 28
Artificial Breeding Sub-Centre 65
Co-Operative (2000-01)
Primary Cooperative  
Agricultural Loan Societies 83
Members Of Societies 278ooo
Industry (2000-01)
Regd. Under The Industrial Act 1948 992
Small Industries 27747
Workers 118298
Education (2000-01)
Primary Schools 1580
Junior Schools 585
Higher Secondary Schools 243
Degree Colleges 21
University 1
Industrial Training Institute 2
Polytechnics 2
Engineering College 1
Public Health (2000-01)
Hospitals  
Allopathic 19
Ayurvedic 15
Homeopathic 9
Unani 4
Primary Health Centre 58
Family & Mother Infant Centre 52
Family & Mother-Infant Sub-Centre 274
Special Hospitals
Tuberculosis 1
Leprosy 1
Communicable Diseases 1
Length Of Connected Roads (1999-00) 2073 Km
Constructed By Pwd 929 Km
Electricity (2000-01)
Total Electrified Village 613
Total Electrified Cities 15
Electrified Sc Localities 614
The Areas Availed With  
Water Supply After Installing Taps/ Handpumps Of Indian Mark-2 (2000-01)
Villages 613
City 15
Total Number Of Lacking Villages 0
Entertainment (2000-01)
Cinema Halls 30
Total Number Of Seats In Halls 22364

Places of Interest

Hastinapur

The headquarters of a pargana of the same name, this village lies in Lat. 29 10 N and Long 78 0 E. and stands on the high bank of the Burhi Ganga. It is 23 miles northeast of the district headquarters and 7 miles east of the tehsil headquarters, being connected with both by a metalled road. According to Jain tradition, Hastinapur was one of the earliest Indian cities like Ayodhya and Kashi and came into existence during the time of Rishabhadeva (the first tirthankara) whose grandson, Somaprabha, was the first ruler of the place. It is also said to be the birth place of three Jain tirthankars, Shantinatha, Kunthnnath and Arahanatha. The Buddhists say that this city was the capital of Kururattam. The Mahabharata also gives the early history of the place, the founder of which is generally believed to be King Hastin, fifth in descent from Bharta. It was the capital of the Kauravas and Pandavas. It is said to have extended as far as Barnawa in the west and Puth in the south. At the time of the Mahabharata War it was in the heyday of its prosperity which, however, began to decline thereafter. The severe floods in the Ganga, which washed away the city, and the transfer of the capital of Kaushambi left in complete obscurity but it was rehabilitated twice within the next few centuries though it never achieved its former glory. According to the census 1991 its population was 15081 and area 3.06 square kms. The population of Hastinapur block is 94567 and area is 333.8 square kms. There are 10 nayay panchayats and 56 gram saber. The chief cash crop of the place is sugar-cane and the principal sources of irrigation are canals and tubules. A battings fair of the Janis is held here in Chaitra which is attended by about 50000 persons. The remains of the ancient city are scattered over a large area lying around the village which is divided into two portions, Patti Kauravan and Patti Pandavan. Archaeological excavations of Vidura-ka-tila (undertaken in 1950-52) as also of other neighboring sites have brought to light various antiquities which associate this place with a succession of cultural periods. The main temple of Jambudeep is also situated there. Some of the most important buildings and sites of the place are described briefly below.


The Digambar Jain temple was built about 160 year ago probably on the site of an old Jain Temple. Devpal Soni of Ajmer had installed in Hastinapur in 1174 a life-size image of Shantinatha, the sixteenth tirthankara, and this image, which was dug out a few years ago from a mound near by has been placed in this temple.

Vidura-ka-tila (also known as Ulta-khera ) called after Vidura (the half brother of Dhritarashtra and Pandu) is a collection of several mounds, some being 50 to 60 feet high and extending a few furlongs.

Draupadi Ghat,on the banks of the Burhganga, is a bathing ghat where people flock in large numbers on bathings festivals.

Draupadi-ki-Rasoiis believed to be the site of Draupadi's kitchen and is situated on the banks of the Burhganga.

Meerut

Situated almost in the heart of the district, Meerut gives its names to the district and to the revenue division and lies in Latitude 29 degree 0' N. and Long 77degree 43' E., at a distance of 448 km from Lucknow ( the headquarters of the State Government) and about 70 km northeast of Delhi. Three stone inscriptions in an old churchyard give the elevation (above sea level) of the city variously as 223.723 m, 224.028 m and 225.247 m (the first probably having been inscribed at the instance of the Trigonometrical Survey). On 14th Nov. 1976 a district was constituted named Ghaziabad , separated from Meerut. According to Census-1991 the populaltion of the Nagar Mahapalika is 753778 and area was 141.89 square kms. The Nagar Mahapalika was constituted on 15-6-1982. For administrative purpose It was divided into 30 wards.

Suraj Kund

There is a pond at Meerut called Suraj Kund, built by a rich businessman Lawar Jahawar Lal in 1714. This was filled up by water of Abu Nala earlier. Later it was filled by Ganga Canal. There are several temples around the Suraj Kund. One of them is famous Baba Manohar Nath temple. It was said that it was built during the period of Shahjahan.

Chandi Devi Temple

This temple is very near to the Suraj Kund. The Nauchandi Mela is organised every year after one week of Holi festival either in March end or April first week. This is very famous mela. Few lakh peple visit this Mela every year.

Mansa Devi Temple

This temple is 5 km away from Suraj Kund , on the garh road, opp. Medical College , Meerut

Bale Miyan ki Darghah

Dargah of Bale Miyan is very near to Chandi Devi Mandir. Urs is organised every year on this mazar during the Nauchandi mela. It was built by Kutubuddin Ebak in 1194.

Jama Masjid

Jama Masjid which is near to kotwali was built by Hasan Mehandi, Minister of Mahmood Gajnvi in 1019. The reconstruction of this mosque was done during the period of mugal badshah Humanu.

Shaheed Smarak

It is 30 meter high made of marble, there function are organised on every national festivals and people pay homage to various shahids. Shahid Smarak is located at bhainsali, earlier was Sati Sarover. It was said that Mandodari before her marriage bath there regularly before going the worship of Shiv-Parvati at Bilveshwar Nath temple.

Augharhnath Mandir

In sadar bazar there is a baba Augharnath temple is also called a Kali Paltan Mandir. On 10th May,1857 the Indian citizen take an oath to get freedom at this temple.

Sardhana

Situated about a mile west of the Ganga canal, Sardhana, the head quarters town of the pargana and of the tehsil, lies in Lat, 29 degree 8' N. and Long. 77 degree 37' E., and it about 21 km distant from Meerut , with which it is connected by a metalled road. Other roads lead to Daurala in the east, Baghpat in the southwest, Baraut ( in district Baghpat) in the west and Shamli (in district Muzaffarnagar) in the northwest. Tradition has it that the place was founded by Sarkat, a raja, and remained in the possession of his descendants till the advent of the Muslims ( probably early in the thirteenth century ), Thereafter it passed into the hands of the mahajans Dusar and Bishan. In 1778 Walter Reinhardt was assigned the jagir of Sardhana but on his death in that year the estate passed into the hands of his widow, Begum Samru. During her time (1778-1836) it rose to the appex of its prosperity but declined considerably after her death. The surrounding lands are served by a network of canals and abound in shallow depressions and the site of the town is low throughout, some of the factors which have led to its general unhealthiness except in years when the rainfall is scanty.

Church, sardhana

It is being administered as a notified area since 1914, prior to which it was a municipality. It is divided into five muhallas of which Laskarganj, lying in the north and founded by Begum Samru as a camp for her troops, forms the chief bazar. A market is held on Fridays. Electricity is supplied to the town from the salawa power-house. In the place are Begum Samru's palace (with a grand flight of steps at what was then the entrance and extensive grounds) and the Church of St.mary, both built in 1822 by the Begum. The former (known as Dilkusha Kothi) now houses the St. Charles' College and covers an area of 75 acres; the latter , formerly a cathedral, which has an alter of white Jaipur marble inlaid with precious stones, is the most famous of her buildings. In an aisle of the church there is monuments to the begum (executed by Tadolini of Rome, the famous sculptor) which is a fine piece of sculpture ( the crowning figure being that of the begum) and is said to be unparalleled in these parts. It was brought to Sardhana in 1848 and was set up in her memory by her adopted son. David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, whose mortal remains are buried at its foot.

Mawana

The municipal town of Mawana ( the headquarters of the northeastern tehsil of the district) lies in Latitude 29 degree 6' N and Logitude 77 degree 56'E ,and is 26 Kms from Meerut with which it is connected by metalled road. Other roads lead to Hastinapur, Parichhatgarh, Phalauda and Bahasuma. This place is also called Mawana Kalan to distinguish it from Mawana Khurd, a village lying 6 km to the west. Local tradition has it that the place was originally called Mawana after Mana, a huntsman and a reputed servant of the Kauravas (of Mahabharata fame). According to another account it was one of the gates of the ancient city of Hastinapur and was known as Muhana (gate) - a name that subsequently became Mawana. There is hillock close by which is said to be the original site of the village. Owing to the breaking out of fires, which the inhabitants ascribed to supernatural agencies, the old site was abandoned and the people settled down here.

There is an old pakka tank here on the Bahsuma road which was constructed by one Kesho Das of Jansath and is now in a dilapidated condition. There also exist the ruins of another tank the Jaddi on the edge of which stands a fine Shiva temple built more than 350 years ago, which is also in a dilapidated condition. In spite of this there are 17 temples, 21 mosque, 3 Imambara , 2 ponds, one Gurudwara, one Ashok Tower, One Madarsa, One Sulphur Factory, Chauhano ki chaupal, Jaiss Club, Cinema halls at Mawana. A famous sugar factory is located here which is on third number in India. It is an important sugar-producing centre. It is also known for its handloom industry. According to Census-1991 the population of Mawana Block is 120274 and area is 216.5 square kms. And nine Naya panchayats , 50 gram sabha are there.

Parikishatgarh

Parichhatgarh, also known as Qila or Qila Parikishatgarh, is an ancient place and lies in latitude 28 degree 59'N and Logitude 77 degrre 56'E. 22 Kms east of the district headquarters with which it is connected by a metalled road. Other roads link it to Mawana Kalan, lying 16 kms north and to Kithore, which is 15 kms. to the south. The place is associated with and derives its name from King Parikshit of Hastinapur (the grandson of Arjuna) and it is believed that it is on the ruins of a fort built by him that the present fort (ascribed to the Gujar raja, Nain Singh) stands. In 1916 a big hoard of silver coins, mostly of the time of Shah Alam II, was found under the staircase of the place. The Navalde well here is known for its water which is regarded by local people as a specific for leprosy. A local story goes that on being told that his new-born daughter, Navalde, would bring him disaster, the Naga king, Vasuki, threw her into a dungeon. His affliction of leprosy was healed when he had a bath in the water brought by her from a certain well (which is supposed to be this well), Parikshit fell in love with her but she managed to elude him. Vasuki was enraged by Parikshit's behaviour and in the war waged against him the latter was killed. After her father's cure Navalde disappeared inside the well. The Gandhari Talab located here is named after Gandhari, the mother of the hundred Kauravas. From 6 kms away there is Rishi Shrang Ashram, this ashram is converted to temple now. It was said Maharishi Vedvyas start to write the Mahabharata here at this temple. According to the census 1991 the population of the place is 133961 and area is 324.8 square Kms. There are Nine nayay panchayat and 54 gram sabha. A market is held here on Mondays and Thursdays. A fair, known as the Chhariyon-ka-Mela, is held here in Sravana every year and is attended by several persons.

Pura

Pura lies in Latitude 29 degree 0' N and longitude 77 degree 27' E near the right bank of the river Hindon on the road running from Daula to Sardhana, about 3 kms north of the road going from Baghpat to Meerut. It is 28 kms distant from Baghpat and 32 kms from Meerut. According to a local tradition, the sage Parashurama founded a Shiva temple here and named the place Shivapuri which in process of time became changed to Shivpura and then got shortened to Pura. The village has a population of 2155 and area 563 hectare. The main crop is sugar-cane, tubewells being one of the chief sources of irrigation. Fairs are held here on the fourteenth day of Sravana and Phalguna which are attended by one lakh to one & half lakh respectively. This comes under Pliana block of Baghpat district.

Kharkhauda

This town lies in latitude 28 degree 50'N and longitude 77 degree 45'E on the western side of the road going from Meerut to Hapur, about 18 ms south of the former. It gives its name to a railway station on the Meerut-Khurja line of the Northen Railway. A regular bus service is available here for Meerut and Hapur. Kharkhauda is an ancient place where the stables of the rajas of Hastinapur are said to have been located and which is said to derive its name from Kharak meaning a stall. Another tradition connects it with Khara and Dushana, the brothers of Ravana, the rakshasa king of Lanka (now Srilanka). The town began to flourish in the time of Humayun. According to census-1991 its population was 10550 and area 1.75 square kms. The population of Kharkhauda block is 111024 and area is 184.4 square kms as per 1991 census.

Kithore

Kithore lies in latitude 28 degree 52'N and longitude 77 degree 56'E on the road running from Meerut to Garhmukteshwar, 28 kms southeast of the former. Another road connects this place with Mawana, which is 28 kms to the north. Government roadways buses run on the road to Meerut and private buses run between Kithore and Mawana. As regards the origin of the name of the place, the story goes that when one the way to Garhmukteshwar to have a dip in the Ganga, a raja named Kamud Singh was robbed here by the people of the place, which was known Krishnapuri. He attacked and defeated them and named the place 'Kuthaur' (evil place) which later became Kithore. As per census 1991 the population of this city is 14471 and area is 3.63 square kms.. The principal commercial crop are sugar-cane and tobacco, the Anupshahr branch of the Ganga canal being the chief source of irrigation. A market is held here every saturday.

Lawar

Lawar , a small town, lies latitude 29 degree 7'N and longitude 77 degree 47'E about 16 kms. north of Meerut with which it is connected by a metalled road. Formerly it was the headquarters of a tappa (a unit of revenue administration) containing 45 villages (including Phalauda) and is said to have been seized from the Rajputs by Mir Surkh, a resident of Mazendaran. The population of the town is 14471 and area is 3,63 square kms as per the census 1991. The handloom work and kambals are famous of this place.

Bahsuma

A large village lying in latitude 29 degree 12'N and longitude 77 degree 58'E., Bahsuma is 35 kms northeast of Meerut with which it is connected by a road. Another road links it to Mawana which lies 11 kms to the south and a third to Bijnor district in the north. According to the tradition, Bahsuma was a muhalla of Hastinapur (which is about 5 kms southeast of the village) and served as the treasury of the Kauravas and Pandavas, the place deriving its name from 'vasu' which means treasure. In the times of Gujar raja, Nain Singh of Parichhatgarh, it became the headquarters of the government. The house of the raja and a fort built by him still stand in the village. The population of this village is 9060 and area is 3 sq kms as per census 1991. The main crop is sugar-cane and a canal is the chief source of irrigation. The weekly market day is tuesday. The weaving of handloom cloth is the main industry of the place, cloths being exported.

Baleni

Baleni, a large village, lies in latitude 28 degree 57'N and longitude 77 degree 27'E on the right bank of the river Hindon, south of the road running from Baghpat to Meerut, about 22 kms east of Baghpat and 27 Kms west of Meerut. This place is now in district Baghpat. The place is associated with the sage Balmiki. It is said that it was in his hermitage here that Sita lived in exile and gave birth to Lava and Kusha. In the vicinity of the temple, which is dedicated to Balmiki, have been found scattered ancient burnt bricks bearing religious motifs. According to local tradition, the village has five tutelary deities, one said to reside in the centre and the remaining four at four boundaries of the village. According to census 1991 the population of this place is 5058 and area is 396 hectares.

Barnawa

Barnawa, the headquarters of the paragana, is situated on the high right bank of the river Hindan, about a mile north of its junction with the Krishna, in latitude 29 degree 7'N and longitude 77 degree 26'E. It is about 18 kms distant from Sardhana and 36 kms from Meerut. The place is said to have been founded by Raja Ahibarana Tomar many centuries ago and is identified with the Varanavata of the Mahabharata and the old mound to the south of the village, which is about hundred feet high and extends over an area of 30 acres, is believed to be the ruins of the Laksha Garaha (home of lac) which the Kauravas burnt down in their attempt to kill the Pandavas. This village was the headquarters of a tehsil in the state of Begum Samru till1836 when (after her death) it was made subsidiary to Baraut and then to Sardhana.





More on WhereInCity.com
Fun & Info.:Jokes | Shayari | Articles | Poems | Stories | Tongue Twisters | SMS | Quotations | Lyrics | Recipes
India:History | Pincodes | STD Codes | ISD Codes | Lok Sabha | Indian Railways | Culture | | Freedom Fighters | Great Indians
Medical:Doctors | Hospitals | Articles | Contraception | Diseases | Vitamins | Minerals | Proteins | Fats | Carbohydrates
Astrology:Horoscopes | Vedic Astrology | Gem Therapy | Palmistry | Horoscope 2013
Kids:Kids Album | Rhymes | Baby Names | Articles | Learning Centre | Animals Gallery
Photos:City Photos | Celebrity Special | Misc. Photos
Business:Yellow Pages | Classifieds
Movies:Bollywood | Hollywood | List
Immigration:Canada | Australia | New Zealand

Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, Sitemap, Contact Us
All rights reserved to www.whereincity.com
Site by : Glow Web Services Pvt. Ltd.