The district of Pilibhit is the north-eastern most district of Rohilkhand division which is situated in the sub Himalayan belt on the boundary of Nepal. It lies between the parallels of 28o6' and 28o53' north latitude and the meridians of 79o57' and 80o27' east longitude. On the north are the district Udhamsingh Nagar and the territory of Nepal, on the south lies the Shahjahanpur district, on the east the district is flanked for a short distance by district Kheri and for the remaining distance by the Shahjahanpur district and on the west the district of Bareilly. According to the central statistical organization, the District Pilibhit had an area of 3,504 sq km on July 1, 1971, occupying 49th position in the state. Major part of Pilibhit District is covered by dense forest. Total 78478 hectare is forest. The Sharda canal is the main canal of the district, the others being its branches. Total length of canals in the district is 938 Km. Though Pilibhit District is a bit backword in the area of industry. The main crop in this area is sugar cane. So there are four sugar factories at Majhola, Puranpur, Bisalpur and Pilibhit. Three factories are in co-operative sector and one at Pilibhit is in private sector. Other major units are three solvent plants, one flour mill, one steel plant and one Alcohal Distillery. Small scale industries are Rice mills, engineering units, brick klins, candles and mainly bansuri (flute) manufacturing.
|Pilibhit District at a glance|
|Area||4008 sq km|
|Population (In '000 2001)|
|Literacy (In '000 2001)||1780.38|
|Administrative Set up (2003-04)|
|No. of Villages (2001)||1027|
|Town Area (2001)||20|
|Nagar Palika (2003-04)||5|
|Nagar Panchayat (2003-04)||15|
|Police Station (2003-04)||28|
|Bus station (2003-04)||388|
|Railway Station (2003-04)||15|
|Railway Line (2003-04)||85 km|
|Post Offices (2003-04)|
|Telegram Offices (2003-04)||5|
|Telephone Connections (2003-04)||83282|
|Agri and Rural Bank||7|
|Fair Price Shops (2003-04)|
|Bio Gas Plant (2003-04)||7898|
|Cold Storage (2003-04)||31|
|Agriculture Production (2002-03)|
|Food Grains||439 ('000 M.Ton)|
|Cane||14590 ('000 M.Ton)|
|Oilseeds||2 ('000 M.Ton)|
|Potato||59 ('000 M.Ton)|
|Net sown Area||325 ('000 hectares)|
|Net Irrigated Area||319 ('000 hectares)|
|Gross Irrigated Area||454 ('000 hectares)|
|Length of canal||1336 km|
|Total Livestock 1997||1078142|
|Veternary Hospital 2003-04||39|
|Livestoc Service Centre 2003-04||63|
|Artificial Insemination Centre 2003-04||38|
|Artificial Insemination Sub-Centre 2003-04|
|Primary Agri Loan Society (2003-04)||96|
|Society Member (2003-04)||304|
|Regd. Industries under Industry Act 1948.||557|
|Small scale Industry||30792|
|Junior Basic School||2841|
|Senior Basic School||761|
|Higher Sec. School||234|
|Teacher Training Inst.||1|
|Medical College (Ayurvedic)||1|
|Public Health (2003-04)|
|Primary Health Centre||68|
|Comm. Health Centre||7|
|Family and Maternity Centre||14|
|Family and Maternity Sub-Centre||354|
|Total Roads (2002-03)|
|Total Road Length||3261 km|
|PWD Roads||2224 km|
|Electrified SC slums||976|
|Hand pumps (2003-04)|
The present town is of comaparatively recent origin but there is still a village known as 'Old Pilibhit' standing on the left bank of the Khakra river about 5 km to the northeast near the road to Neoria. This village had always been occupied by the Banjaras of the Periya clan. It is supposed that Pilibhit is the corruption of Periya Bhit or the village mound of the Periyas and also that the name Pilibhit has been derived from a yellow mud wall which once surrounded the district.Shukartal
This is very famous hindu holy place situated at 30 km from district headquarter on the bank of Ganga. It is said that at this place only Maharishi Sukdev Ji narrated the Bhagvadgeeta before Raja Parikshat, son of Abhimanyu and grandson of Arjun. A temple was built near the Vat Vriksh under where Sukdev ji narrated the story.Unnao
The district is named after its Headquarter town, Unnao. About 1200 years ago, the site of this town was covered with extensive forests. Situated between rivers Ganga and Sai, Unnao has, since ancient times, made place in the pages of history. The district has been popular from the view of history, literature, religious and cultural heritage. The District is roughly a parallelogram in shape and lies between Lattitude 26° 8' N & 27° 2' N and Longitude 80° 3' E & 81° 3' E. It is bounded on the north by District Hardoi , on the east by District Lucknow, on the south by District Rae Bareli and on the west by the Ganga which seperates it from districts of Kanpur & Fatehpur. It has an area of 4589 Sq. Km. The District is divided into 5 Tehsils Unnao, Hasanganj, Safipur, Purwa & Bighapur and 16 development Blocks namely - Ganj Moradabad, Bangarmau, Fatehpur Chaurasi, Safipur, Miyanganj, Auras, Hasanganj, Nawabganj, Purwa, Asoha, Hilauli, Bighapur, Sumerpur,Bichia, Sikandarpur Sirausi, Sikandarpur Karan. Local traditions connect a number of well known personages like Parashuram, Dasharatha, Sharvana, Valmiki, Sita, Lava-Kusha, Rama, Bakasura, Krishna, Mayuradhvaja, Ashvatthama and Astika, mentioned in the Ramayana & Mahabharata and the Puranas, with differrent places in the district, adding sanctity to them. Many brave personalities who played a major role in the Country's freedom struggle and sacrificed their lives for the country, were born here. Popular among them are Raja Rao Ram Bux Singh, Maulana Hasarat Mohani, Ram Beni Madhav, Pd. Vishambher Dayal Tripathi, Thakur Jsasingh, Narpat Singh, Barjor Singh, Hathi Singh, Devi Bux Singh, Mansab Ali, Kasturi Singh, Bhopal Singh and Chandrika Bux Singh. The District is not left behind in the field of literature too, having produced learned persons right from Maharishi Valmiki to Gaya Pd. Shukla, Pratap Narayan Misra, Surya Kant Tripathi 'Nirala', Maulana Hasrat Mohani, Nand Dulare Bajpayee, Sumitra Kumari Sinha, Chandra Bhushan Trivedi (Ramai Kaka), Dr. Ram Vilas Sharma, Jagdambika Pd. Misra, Bhagwati Charan Misra, Pratap Narayan Misra and Shiv Mangal Singh 'Suman'. Though the Industries of Unnao are very small, however this Industrial area if taken care of a little by the Govt. of UP, may attract the industrialists and entreprenures of leather as well as other fields increasingly due to the aesthetical and topographical features of this industrial area helping prevention of environmental degradation and enrich upto a great extent being a major issue in present industrial scenario. Unnao industrial area is having about 50 industries at present comprising mainly of leather industries, and most of them are export oriented units.
In order to promote proper protection and conservation to the resident and migratory birds Nawabganj lake and its surrounding area was declared as Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary in 1984. Nawabganj Bird sanctuary is situated in Unnao Distt.,45 Km. from Lucknow and Kanpur on Lucknow-Kanpur National Highway. Buses and taxies are readly available from both cities. Approximately 250 species of resident and migratory birds are found rowing here. The arrival of migratory birds starts from the month of November. The lake is in its behest during the month of December and January. By the end of February these migratory guests gradually start leaving for their respective destinations. Some resident birds stay here round the year, do nesting and lay eggs.Migratory Birds
Greylag Goose, Pintail, Common teal, Cotton teal, Red Crested pochard, Brahmini duck, Gadwall, Shoveller, Wigeon, Coot and Mallard etc.Resident and locally migratory birds
Spotwill, Sarus crane, Painted Stork, White Ibis, Black Ibis, Dabchick, Whisling teal, Open billed stork, White necked stork, Black necked stork, Spoon bill, Pheasant tailed jacana, Broze winged Jacana, Purple moorrhen, White breasted Water hen, Indian Moorhen, Grebe, Cormorant Darter, Lapwing, Egret, Purple heron, Pond heron, Stone curlew, King fisher, Night jar, Tern vulture, Kite, Partridge, Hawk wagle, Koel, Dove, Pigeon, King crow, Baya, Muniya, Golden oriole, Barbet. Babler, Indian roller, Bee eater, Parakeet, Drongo, Hoopoe, Finch, Peacock, Brain fever bird, Comb duck etc.Fishes
Katla, Mangur, Saul, Sindhi, Kavai etc.Reptiles
Cobra, Viper, Krait, Ratsnake and Water snake etc.Vegetation
Prosopis juliflora, Babul, Acacia auriculiformis, Arjun, Kanji, Siras, Neem, Bargad,Eukeliptus, Gulmohar and some water plants.Deer Park
A deep park is also situated in the bird sanctury area which has Spotted deer and Barking deer.Bird Interpretation centre
To enhance the knowledge of visitors regarding birds an Interpretation Centre is established in the Sanctuary. It has the provision of film shows related to wildlife.Walking trails
To facilitate close observation of birds in the sanctuary two walking trails namely eastern and western trails have been constructed whereupon platforms and benches are placed for rest.
|Nawabganj Bird Santuary at a glance|
|Area||2.246 Sq Km|
|Year of Establishment||1984|
|Location||Near Nawabganj town in|
|Unnao district of Uttar Pradesh|
|Climate (In Celsius)|
|Max.||45 in Summer|
|Min.||3 in Winter|
|Nearest Railway Station||Kusumbi ( 2 Km.)|
|Nearest Airport||Amausi, Lucknow (30 Km.)|
|Best time to visit||November to February|
Mogli Water Park is the first of its kind in Uttar Pradesh and the 14th in India, situated on the Lucknow- Kanpur Highway No.25 and equidistant from both the cities at an easy accessibility of 40-45 km. This park has been put up where grown ups can be together with children, play and enjoy pure unadultered fun. It was initiated in 1997 and became fully operative after the formal inaugration by Sri. Yogendra Narain, the then Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh Govt. on the 11th of Oct.1999. Located in Ajgain, it is readily accessible from the Lucknow-Kanpur highway and is a stone's throw from Ajgain Railway Station. Being 40 kms from Kanpur, 45 Kms from Lucknow, and 15 Kms from Unnao, it caters to families residing in not only all three cities but also the adjoining areas all the year round. The project has been doctored with precision in terms of safety and is a permanent structure eradicating the hazard of a temporary setup. The 09 different water slides on 03 pools are clearly demarcated to cater to different age groups, keeping in mind the safety aspects. Trained personnel provide help & guidance at each slide and pool. Minor injuries can be treated at the first aid station in the park. 'Mogli' on a stretch of 11 acres of lush green landscape, offers within it's most picturesque surroundings, a variety of Water Slides on 03 of it's categorized pools, a huge artificial lake, for boating, Camels which take you for rides all around the Park, a restaurant to restore normalcy to famished stomachs after the fun & excitement of the water slides and other attraction with its range of fast food and a varied setup of lunch/snacks to order, and lastly, the choicest selection of music offerred to the guests as a regularly weekly feature.
The village of Badarqa Harbans lies about 11 km south of Unnao near Achalganj at a distance of 3 Km west of Unnao - Rae Bareli road. It was founded in 1643 AD by Raja Harbans, an official at the court of Shah Jahan, who received a grant of 500 Bighas from the Emperor in pargana Harha. He built a fine house here with walls of limestone blocks to a height of about 500 m, surmounted with turreted walls, on an elaborate frieze of red stone over the gateway, having alternately Geese & Elephants in pairs. A large hall of audience supported on carved pillars formely stood here, but Asaf-ud-daula is said to have taken these pillars to help building Imambara at Lucknow. The house built by Raja Harbans was very picturesque and massive, and the strength of its construction was calculated to defy the hands of time.
Baksar, the southmost village of the district, lies on the left bank of the Ganga, about 5 km south of Daundia Khera and 51 km south-east of Unnao. The place is said to derive its name from a sanskrit word Bakasram denoting the residence of Baka, a rakshas, who founded a town at the site of the present village. He lived here and erected a temple to Nageshwar Nath Mahadeo. Baka is said to have been killed by lord Krishna more than 5000 years ago. It is also said that Raja Abhai Chand, a Bais Rajput conquered the place naming it after the shrine of Bakeshwar Mahadeo and made it its capital. Ram Bakhsh Singh, the Raja of Daundia Khera, who took an active part in the freedom struggle in 1857 was anged here on a tree over a Temple which was also blown up by the British. The ruins of the Temple and and several broken images are still found in the Village. A bathing fair, attended by a large number of people, is anually held here on the full moon day of Kartika.
Bangarmau , a large village, lies in the centre of the Pargana, which derives its name from this village, surrounded by extensive groves. It is situated on the left bank of Kalyani, about 49 km north-west of Unnao and 22 km north-west of Safipur on the Unnao-Hardoi road. The ancient town of Newal stood close to the site of Bangarmau, and was occupied by Raja Nal, a local ruler and is traditionally associated with ancient site of 'Alavi' of the Buddhist records and 'Navadevakula' of Huien Tsang's travel accounts. According to Buddhist literature, Buddha stayed here for sometime and preached the gospel. The antiquity of the place is attested by the discovery of earthern black polished wares and other archaeological finds. One terracotta piece, in particular, representing 'Aradhanarishwari' a rare specimen of its kind in India, was found here and is displayed in the National Museum. The other interesting objects found here include Manshila Mandir, Davendihar & Mahadeo Phulwari. The Budhawa Mangal fair is held here on the first Tuesday of Chaitra. Two other fairs are also organised here by the villagers, one known as Baboo Mian ka Mela, falls on the Ist Tuesday of Chaitra, and the other, called the fair of Shitla Devi, falls on the 8th day of the bright half of the month of Chaitra.
Also known as Sangrampur, lies on the high bank of Morahi (Naurahi) river about 5 km west of the Unnao-Dalmau road and 29 km south of Purwa. About the 13th century, one Abhai Chand, a Bais Rajput, drove out the Bhars of Daundia Khere, after fighting a fierce battle. Abhai Chand gave the name of Sangrampur to the village where he fought the battle. Since then it formed the home of the great Bais clan of Rajputs. Ram Bux Singh, talukdar of the place and a descendent of Abhai Chand, was hanged here for participation in the freedom struggle of 1857.
Mohan, a considerable village lies on the left bank of the Sai river, about 6 km east of Hasanganj and 38 km north-east of Unnao. Roads lead from this place to Malihabad in Dist. Lucknow on the east, Nawabganj on the south and Bangarmau on the north-west. During the days of the Nawabs of Avadh, it was an important town, of which many residents found employment in the court of the Nawab and earned large fortunes. The town was well known for its Unani Hakims, mimics & actors. To the south of the village near the Sai, is a high mound, supposed to be the remains of an ancient fort. On this mound is an old tomb of a Muslim Saint.
Nawabganj lies on the Lucknow-Kanpur National Highway, about 20 km. northeast of Unnao. It was founded in 1842 by Amin-ud-daulah, the prime minister of Avadh who built a serai and a mosque which are still in good condition. Nawabganj a scene of heavy fighting with 'General' Havelock's army after he crossed the Ganga at Kanpur in July/August 1857. Havelock did not face a regular sepoy army when he crossed into Avadh , Ubdool Huda Khan Kandaharee was despatched with two companies from regiment in Lucknow and 14 Guns to check the General 's Progress, But he was defeated and his guns were captured. Tuhwar Hussain was then ordered to take command but he refused, and Mohammad Hussain who was formerly Chakladar volunteered and set out against the General. He was defeated but remained at Nawabganj, and fell upon the British troops, when the General harassed by the men of the Talooqdars' Mansab Ali, Jassa Singh, Baboo, Rao Ram Buksh and others, retreated back.
Pariyar, which gives its name to a Pargana, lies on the left bank of the Ganga at a distance of about 23 km northwest of Unnao. In the vicinity of the village lies the Mahua Lake. Tradition has it that in the Treta yuga, Lakshman at the behest of his brother Rama, accompanied Sita to her banishment to this place, which in consequence, came to be known as Parhar, a sanskrit word meaning abandonment. With the passage of time the name Parhar has been converted to pariyar. It was here that Sita gave birth to Lava & Kusha who were trained in archery by Valmiki, and grew up to be accomplished warriors. They caught Shyambaran, a horse loosed by Rama during Aswamedh Yajna arranged by him and this gave a signal of for a war between Rama and his Sons whom he did not know. The village is said to have been founded in the 12th century by Himachal Singh, a Dikhit Thakur. The place possesses 2 temples, one of Balkaneshwar Nath Mahadeo, said to have been built by Lava & Kusha and the other of Janki.
Patan lies on the road from Unnao to Allahabad via Achalganj, about 16 km south of Purwa. The Rae Bareli-Kanpur branch of the northern railway passes by the village which has a Railway station, Takia. The village possesses a temple dedicated to Lingeshwar Mahadeo, a Tomb of Muhabbat Shah, and an ancient mound ascribed to the Bhars. A large fair known as 'Takia - Ka - Mela', is held hereon the Ist thursday of Paus, in honour of Niamat Shah, a disciple of Muhabbat Shah, a darvesh, who was a contemporary of Shuja-ud-daulah and Asaf-ud-daula, nawabs of Avadh. The story goes that once a Kurmi devotee of Muhabbat Shah fell accidently into a dry well and called out his name for help, but no one arriving, he called one Niamat Shah, who is said to have instantly appeared, and helped him out of the well. The next day the kurmi reappeared to Muhabbat Shah's hermitage place, but saluted Niamat Shah only and on being asked to explain the omission to pay his respects to Muhabbat Shah, related the story in full. Muhabbat Shah getting enraged with Niamat ordered him to die, which command he carried out at once. Niamat was buried in the Takya (grave-yard). In order to perpetuate his memory, Muhabbat Shah arranged for a fair to be held over his tomb, which is still kept up.
Safipur lies on the Unnao-Hardoi road about 27 km northwest of Unnao. It is said to have been named after a dervesh Makhdum Shah Safi. On his death he was buried here and the place assumed the name Safipur. Safipur forms the last resting place of several other derveshes also of whom the chief are Ifhamullah, Kudrat-ullah, Hafiz-ullah & Abdullah. A famous mausoleum over the remains of the dervesh Safi was erected here. Small urs fairs are held here on the 12th & 22nd day of Rabi-ul-awwal, 20th day of Jamat-us-sani, 12th & 14th days of Rajjab, 8th day of Ramzan and 14th day of Zilhaj.