“Depression” is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts, that affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one feels about oneself, and the way one thinks about things.
People with a depressive disease cannot merely "Pull Themselves Together" and get better. Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years. Appropriate treatment, however, can help most people with depression.
Some people say that depression feels like a black curtain of despair coming down over their lives. Many people feel like they have no energy and can't concentrate. Others feel irritable all the time for no apparent reason. The symptoms vary from person to person, but if you feel "down" for more than two weeks, and these feelings are interfering with your daily life, you may be clinically depressed.
Most people who have gone through one episode of depression will, sooner or later, have another one. You may begin to feel some of the symptoms of depression several weeks before you develop a full-blown episode of depression.
Symptoms of Depression include: constant feelings of sadness, irritability, or tension, decreased interest or pleasure in usual activities or hobbies, loss of energy, feeling tired despite lack of activity, a change in appetite, with significant weight loss or weight gain, a change in sleeping patterns, such as difficulty sleeping, early morning awakening, or sleeping too much, restlessness or feeling slowed down, decreased ability to make decisions or concentrate, feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, or guilt, thoughts of suicide or death etc.
Most people with depression never seek help, even though the majority will respond to treatment. Treating depression is especially important because it affects you, your family, and your work. Some people with depression try to harm themselves in the mistaken beliefs that how they are feeling will never change. Depression is a treatable illness.
The first step to obtaining appropriate treatment is accurate diagnosis, which requires a complete physical and psychological evaluation to determine whether the person may have a depressive illness, and if so, what type. Certain medications, as well as some medical conditions, can cause symptoms of depression. Therefore, the examining physician should rule out these possibilities through a Consultation, Evaluation, physical examination, and laboratory tests.
Ayurveda strongly help one to overcome the depression, it focuses on both –Internal and External Therapies that affects brain and nervous system.Ayurveda treatment procedures mainly involve the changing of Nutritional Protocol & Life Style by which we can greatly influence our Physical, Mental & Emotional health.
While each patient should follow a regimen Tailored to his/ her individual needs, the Five Classical Procedures are meant to Detoxify the human body- THE PANCHAKARMA CHIKITSA-are particularly beneficial. They are:
1) VAMANA: a Medicated Emesis Therapy cleanses Kapha collected in the body & decongests the Respiratory Tract.
2) VIRECHANA: a Medicated Purgation Therapy, removes Toxins from the body that are accumulated in the Gastro Intestinal Tract.
3) VASTHI: cleanses the accumulated Toxins from all over the body. It is also highly beneficial in Rejuvenation Therapies.
4) NASYAM: Nasal administration of Medicated Oils to cleanse accumulated Kapha dosha from the Head & Neck regions.
5) RAKTHA MOKSHANAM: Blood lLetting using Leeches etc effective in Haemopathological Conditions.
Once the Toxins are removed and the body is purified from doshas responsible for causing the diseases then Rejuvenation Procedures & Therapeutic Massages are beneficial. Judicious combinations of Scientifically Standardized Drugs having Rejuvenating, Correcting Imbalances are administered for the promotion of a Healthy Normal Living of the person.
REJUVENATION PROCEDURES include:
1) A Simple ABHYANG Arevives Body, Mind, Senses and the Soul, increasing energy levels and thus promotes the feeling of well being.
2) SIRODHARA in which Medicated Oils are streamed on to the Fore Head, SHIRO VASTI Where The medicated oil is poured into the cap fitted on the patient’s head, relaxes the Central Nervous System, melting away all the Stresses & Strains.
3) PIZHICHIL(Medicated Oil Bath) Sarvanga Dhara/ Kaya Seka provides the ultimate Rejuvenation and Increases the Circulation around the body
4) ELAKIZHI (Herbal Leaf Bundle Massage) is a highly Rejuvenating Treatment used to Treat Chronic Back Pain, Sciatica etc.
5) NAVARAKIZHI(Shali Shastika Pinda Swedam) is very effective in Emaciation, Debility, Strengthens Tissues and is Anti Ageing.
Ayurvedic methods of treating Depression are Gentle, Natural, and Effective. They contribute to a long-lasting state of Mental, Psychological and Inner balance that reduce the tendency towards recurrences.
Next Article : Depression in Women