| By : Amrita ( Posted on :02 Feb, 2007 )||Total Views : 4293 | Previous | Next|
• 1 bunch of Gongura, leaves separated & washed
• 1 cup or four fistfuls of toor dal
• Green chillies at least 6, jalapeno variety
• 1 medium sized onion, cut into small pieces
• 1/2 tsp of turmeric
• Make a smooth paste of one garlic clove, half tsp of coriander seeds and cumin
1. In a pressure cooker, take all of the above ingredients and add one glass of water.
2. Mix them once and pressure cook until three to four whistles or until toordal is tender and breaks apart when held.
3. Wait until the pressure is released, remove the lid and add one teaspoon of salt to this cooked mixture and mash it into smooth paste.
4. Now, in a sauce pan, over low medium heat, do the tempering(means toasting the mustard, cumin seeds, red chilli pieces and curry leaves in one tablespoon of ghee or oil). Add the cooked and mashed gongura dal to this tempering. Stir all of it once and cover with a lid. Gongura dal is ready.
5. Tastes great with rice or jowar roti. Best way of course is the combination of this dal mixed with rice, ghee and papad.